Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters That Were Never Even Stunned

I have seen them all stunned, now if the question was hurt badly a few fighters come to mind
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #17
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Intentions
the one i have in mind was knockdown but whenever he was getting hit he wasn't stunned that much,and thats aaron pryor
Tho well past his best i'm pretty sure Pryor was stunned by Bobby Joe.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #18
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Tho well past his best i'm pretty sure Pryor was stunned by Bobby Joe.
LOL, yeah he had time to find god!
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #19
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

I can't remember whether it happened or not but there were a few people who seemed to believe that Chris Byrd of all people may have momentarily hurt Tua with a body shot. If it sounds crazy it's not from me. I haven't seen the fight since it happened but I do recall that being thrown out there. I guess anything's possible. Anyone know?
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13
Chuvalo was stunned by Foreman, he had no idea where he was and how to protect himself.
This, of course, isn't literally true. True, Foreman stunned Chuvalo with one big shot in the 3rd round, the force of which drove Chuvalo into the ropes. Then after that, Foreman just kept whaling away, with Chuvalo not firing back, until the fight was stopped. How many follow up punches did Foreman throw at Chuvalo, and if he was DEFENSELESS, then what was the matter with Big George's power? If he was defenless, and "had no idea where he was", then even a punch far inferior to that first big punch from Foreman would have ended it, at least sending Chuvalo down. Chuvalo's defense was crude and rudimentary, for sure, but he was coherent enough to keep Foreman from landing another clean shot to the jaw. No one, even Oliver McCall, can withstand a clean, hard shot to an UNPROTECTED chin. Fighters are trained to swivel the neck to act as a shock absorber to protect their jaws from incoming punches, no matter how subtle and slight that 'swivel" may be, and to have the gloves up instinctively to block punches as well. I'm sure that if you look at the tape of Chuvalo-Foreman, you'll see that Chuvalo wasn't completely defenseless, like Oscar Bonavena was, for instance in the 15th round with Ali, when he would get up, and didn't have the presence of mind to even hold his gloves up to protect his chin. Chuvalo has, in fact, maintained that he wasn't that out of it, and was using the gloves to deflect Foreman's rather wild follow up punches. In other words, if a fighter is truly rendered defenseless by a punch, or punches, then ANY kind of follow up shots can easily put him down, as his chin as well as his mind would be totally undefended.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Another example of my previous post is the second Lewis-McCall fight, with McCall walking around the ring crying, while Lewis rather cautiously and carefully stalked him. One might tend to criticise Lewis for being overly cautious at times during his career, but in this case, it was good that he was, because he could have seriously hurt Oliver. I know this sounds like heresy, and all the McCall fans that rave about his iron jaw (and he does have one) will dispute this, but at the time he was walking around with his guard down sobbing, he wasn't protecting his head AT ALL. His mind was not involved in fighting, defense, or whatever, and if Lewis so chose to, he would have blindsided him with a potentially fatal punch, which would have been on par with James Butler's cowardly sucker punch he landed on Richard Hall (I think that was his name) in that horrifying episode of ESPN Friday night fights a couple of years ago. Lewis has been criticised wrongly for not going all out against McCall in that fight, because if he did, he could have caused permanent damage to even the iron jawed McCall.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #22
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
How many follow up punches did Foreman throw at Chuvalo, and if he was DEFENSELESS, then what was the matter with Big George's power?
Not many, only a few punches were enough for Chuvalo to be out on his feet.
Foreman never had true one-punch KO power, he almost always finished or dropped fighters with multiple punches.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #23
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Chuvalo comes to mind. TKO'ed, but he always seemed aware, even when George had him in a corner beating the shit out of him.

I've never seen McCall even wobbled. Punched across the damned ring from the force of punches by Bruno, but never stunned.

David Tua?
There is a film of Tua being ko'd by Felix Savon as an amateur on youtube.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #24
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

.................I see I continue to be the only one riding the Juan Laporte Express on this one.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #25
ironchamp
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
I can't remember whether it happened or not but there were a few people who seemed to believe that Chris Byrd of all people may have momentarily hurt Tua with a body shot. If it sounds crazy it's not from me. I haven't seen the fight since it happened but I do recall that being thrown out there. I guess anything's possible. Anyone know?
Tua was definatlely hurt by Byrd's body punching late in the fight. Its not crazy its true
ironchamp is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 04:33 PM   #26
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
.................I see I continue to be the only one riding the Juan Laporte Express on this one.
I thought he may have been a little stunned at one point vs Gomez, but i'd have to look again and could easily be wrong.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #27
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I thought he may have been a little stunned at one point vs Gomez, but i'd have to look again and could easily be wrong.

...........I'm sure he was just being pensive.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #28
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
...........I'm sure he was just being pensive.
When he was walking into the Kings Hall, he looked a little stunned; but still that did not stop him giving McGuigan hell! Proof that us Brits are as bad as the Europeans, Africans, Asians or Americans at giving out dodgy hometown decisions. LaPorte deserved a draw that night IMO.
TBooze is online now  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #29
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
I have seen them all stunned, now if the question was hurt badly a few fighters come to mind

Right.

No-one that gets in the ring with the best fighters of the world is not even going to be stunned. It's true, even the Chuvalo's and McCall's are human.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #30
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
When he was walking into the Kings Hall, he looked a little stunned; but still that did not stop him giving McGuigan hell! Proof that us Brits are as bad as the Europeans, Africans, Asians or Americans at giving out dodgy hometown decisions. LaPorte deserved a draw that night IMO.

...........Really? I had Barry winning that one 7-3. Juan had this maddening habit of covering up as if he were rationed to 15 punches a round. That came up to bite him again that day I thought. Of course, McGuigan's pressure had a lot to do with that.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum