Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Should Khan have been stopped in round 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA
Big Arthur fan here. Also spent a wee while at the Leith Victoria myself last year.

Leading into the fight last night I'd have said Khan v Arthur would have been a bloody difficult one to call. After last nights fight, I still think it would be a tough fight for both guys. But Arthur would stop Khan I now think. He has the power and extra shots that Limond lacks.

No chin of steel himself, but I think it is more solid than Khans.

As for improving you chin, I'm not convinced it is the actual chin that improves. For sure Khan has to improve his defence (which will certainly help), but one lapse or good shot to the chin could have him in a lot more bother than many fighters. It has been pointed out elsewhere that many fighters have gone on to have excellent careers with a weakish chin, as could Khan. But any top level boxer with a good punch on them will be gunning to get in the ring with him now.
I think Arthur would smash him fairly easily. I rate Arthurs chin far more than Khan's. I was ringside for the Gomez fight and Arthur took some real power shots before being stopped.

BTW. Should Arthur be victorious he will be arriving at Edinburgh Airport on Sunday 22nd at 1pm with his belt.
AllyT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I never want to say Arthur would smash Khan. As said, I thought it would be a fairly difficult one to call before last night. Not easy even now, but I certainly think Arthur would win. It would require him stepping up in weight, but he is already a big SF, so not too big a change for him.

Bit first and foremost is getting through the upcoming fight. Looks like a very decent opponent, so hopefully he comes through. I think he will walk Gogoladze down and punish him up close. Needs to press the fight.

Not sure if I'll make it to the airport on sunday (should he win, touch wood). Maybe though.
AAA is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyT
Perhaps before criticising my question you should have made a more serious attempt to understand it. I want to know how the referee should have applied the rules at that moment and not with the benefit of hindsight or your prejudices.

On the subject of stupid answers, since when is the Commonwealth title domestic?
The ref saw that Khan was fit to continue. He was hurt but he was still coming out successful with his defence and offence. He was firing back and managing to implement survival skills.

It is true that the Commonwealth is an international belt, it's name is self explanatory but it is considered the second major belt behind the British belt. More important than area belts or national titles like the English title. Perhaps a miswording but you get the point.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #19
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

I think Khan is still too green for an Alex Arthur.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
StWerburghs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1673

Khan was in trouble, but nowhere near a stoppage. Limond had his chance and did not take it. I hope Khan has learnt a lesson here. He needs to work on his defence badly.
StWerburghs is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
The ref saw that Khan was fit to continue. He was hurt but he was still coming out successful with his defence and offence. He was firing back and managing to implement survival skills.

It is true that the Commonwealth is an international belt, it's name is self explanatory but it is considered the second major belt behind the British belt. More important than area belts or national titles like the English title. Perhaps a miswording but you get the point.
Fair do's

I accept that Khan recovered well and deserved his win.

Because I am not up on the pro rules I wondered about the second drop to the canvas, I have seen bouts stopped for this. Thus the question.

After the count Khan was surviving and occasional throwing back so no question in my mind of a stoppage after the count.
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #22
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyT
Fair do's

I accept that Khan recovered well and deserved his win.

Because I am not up on the pro rules I wondered about the second drop to the canvas, I have seen bouts stopped for this. Thus the question.

After the count Khan was surviving and occasional throwing back so no question in my mind of a stoppage after the count.
Apologies then I thought you were a long time boxing fan who was being a sore loser because the Scottish guy lost.

Khan was still within the count. In other cases refs would think he wasn't quite with it and stopped it. In Khans case it was confusion with the corner.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #23
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I just have to clarify that I'm talking about the same point as AllyT also, which is the drop to the knees during the count. I just thought that it might have been something the ref could have considered waving it off over (although I see where achilles is coming from saying it was just confusion on Khans part).

I still think Khan is an excellent prospect. His natural ability is something quite rare. But I think last night took the air of 'invincibility' surrounding him away (which is probably a good thing). Press overhype is never particularly good for anyone in the long-run.

I think he will go on to be an extremely successful boxer, but I still believe that there will be no shortage of heavy hitters knocking on ******s door for a shot at him now. Would be a hell of a scalp for any domestic or European fighter to hand Khan his first loss.
AAA is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #24
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Apologies then I thought you were a long time boxing fan who was being a sore loser because the Scottish guy lost.

Khan was still within the count. In other cases refs would think he wasn't quite with it and stopped it. In Khans case it was confusion with the corner.
I have watched a fair bit of pro boxing but my main interest so far is in amateur. I have a reasonable grasp of the Amateur rules but I am fairly cluless as the rules of the various pro sanctioning bodies.

You are however correct about my being a sore loser, I had 20 on Limmond to win in the 6th.
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM   #25
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Khan really could have been stopped there and then with the wrong ref.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum