Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Larry Holmes vs Ezzard Charles

Rarely do I ever pick a fighter pre-1970 to beat Holmes, but in this case I might be willing to make a rare exception.

For whatever reason, Ezzard Charles has managed to impress me on film lately, and frankly I think that his boxing ability, quickness, durability and other attributes may well lead to him taking a close decision in this match. No, I do not consider Charles to be a better fighter than Holmes, and honestly I think Larry fairs better against other all time greats, but head to head Charles has a very good chance here.

Holmes of course, would have the reach, as well as the advantage of being a full sized, natural heavyweight, but I don't think he stops the man who took the very best that Marciano, Walcott and Louis had to offer. Trying to knockout Charles in his prime, was like trying to kill a ****roach. His physical conditioning along with his solid chin and undying work ethic, would have made him a nightmare for almost any all time great really.

I think that while both men were elite boxers with better than average durability, Charles may well have been the faster of the two, as well as a tad more accustomed to fighting in long range fights ( subject to opinion of course.) Addtionally, when I watch footage of him, he seems to be more mult-dimensional when throwing a variety of punches, as opposed to Holmes who relied a bit too heavily on the jab in my opinion. I don't think that Charles dominates Holmes, but squeaking out a close decision, by keeping busier and landing a few more shots per round may well do the trick.
Thoughts?
mr. magoo is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Larry Holmes vs Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Rarely do I ever pick a fighter pre-1970 to beat Holmes, but in this case I might be willing to make a rare exception.

For whatever reason, Ezzard Charles has managed to impress me on film lately, and frankly I think that his boxing ability, quickness, durability and other attributes may well lead to him taking a close decision in this match. No, I do not consider Charles to be a better fighter than Holmes, and honestly I think Larry fairs better against other all time greats, but head to head Charles has a very good chance here.

Thoughts?
Agreed. Charles at his best matches up well with Holmes. Holmes has the better Jab but Charles has better overall boxing ability and the quickness to go along with it. Durability, power and ring generalship are about even. It wouldn't surprise me to see Ezz take a MD in a fight that would be a strategic battle.
Joe E is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Larry narrow UD: 8-6-1.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Charles could cause Larry a lot of problems with his fast hands and good right hand...A prime Larry vs a Prime Ezzard....Charles wins a close UD
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I can see advantages to either fighter, it would be a very high level skill battle, hard to pick a winner. Charles has become the most underrated of HW champs
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
I can see advantages to either fighter, it would be a very high level skill battle, hard to pick a winner. Charles has become the most underrated of HW champs

Good post, you may well be right with that last part (though I go for Walcott, personally).
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeezzard
Agreed. Charles at his best matches up well with Holmes. Holmes has the better Jab but Charles has better overall boxing ability and the quickness to go along with it. Durability, power and ring generalship are about even. It wouldn't surprise me to see Ezz take a MD in a fight that would be a strategic battle.
That's how I see it as well.

This fight would be nothing shy of a pure chess match between two technical geniuses. It would be a real boxing expert's fight, as opposed to a match that would be appreciated by a more novice type of fan. I'm not a gambler, but even if I were, I'd have a real problem putting money down.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Charles has become the most underrated of HW champs
True to some extent,

Though I think on ESB and other various forums, he's starting to regain recognition as one of boxing's best. Another poster name Marciano_Frazier, said it best when he pointed out that Charles commonly makes most people's top 20 list, and rightfully so.. I think traditionally, the problem was that Charles resume requires a further degree of study as opposed to someone with a flashy record and loads of carisma, in order to better appreciate his accomplishments.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Late 1940s charles who moved like an ice skater gliding around the ice with handspeed like roy jones has a real good shot at taking holmes.

Of Course mendoza will come on this thread and be like "holmes by Kayo, charles was down 30 times in his career and was a swarmer brawler who lost alot. holmes is a bigger tougher better fighter"
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Charles has become the most underrated of HW champs
Partially, But I do think walcott was the better heavyweight, and brings more to the table h2h vs the rest of the field.

I love how you made the walcott louis "robbery" thread to try to debunk my opinion that walcott was the clear winner......and a man who was LIVE ringside at the walcott-louis I came out and said walcott was blantantly robbed. LOL
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Late 1940s charles who moved like an ice skater gliding around the ice with handspeed like roy jones has a real good shot at taking holmes.

Of Course mendoza will come on this thread and be like "holmes by Kayo, charles was down 30 times in his career and was a swarmer brawler who lost alot. holmes is a bigger tougher better fighter"
You 40s nuthugger Robinson didnt have hand speed like Roy Jones
Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Partially, But I do think walcott was the better heavyweight, and brings more to the table h2h vs the rest of the field.

I love how you made the walcott louis "robbery" thread to try to debunk my opinion that walcott was the clear winner......and a man who was LIVE ringside at the walcott-louis I came out and said walcott was blantantly robbed. LOL
Actually no I was interested what none biased fans thought of the fight, it sounds like a close clear decision for Walcott. And lets remember YOU HAVENT WATCHED THE FIGHT IN FULL

People occasionally make threads for none political purposes, strange concept to yourself Im sure
Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
True to some extent,

Though I think on ESB and other various forums, he's starting to regain recognition as one of boxing's best. Another poster name Marciano_Frazier, said it best when he pointed out that Charles commonly makes most people's top 20 list, and rightfully so.. I think traditionally, the problem was that Charles resume requires a further degree of study as opposed to someone with a flashy record and loads of carisma, in order to better appreciate his accomplishments.
His record from 1946-1951 is something else. His grace, skill and ability on film is what wins me over to Charles though
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #14
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
His record from 1946-1951 is something else. His grace, skill and ability on film is what wins me over to Charles though
Agreed,

He did have one hell of a run in the later 40's to early 50's. He reigned as heavyweight champion for something like 4 years, and was regularly fighting top flight contenders. I might be going out on a limb here, but glancing at his record, it would certainly seem like he's faced as many or more named opponents than just about any heavyweight champion I can think of.. Of course Louis fought more contenders and defended his title more than anyone, but I don't cosider men like Jack Roper, Johnny Davis, or Tony Musto as named opponents.. Charles fought Archie Moore, Jimmy Bivins, Joey Maxim, Elmer Ray, Joe Louis, Joe Walcott, and shit loads of others..
Old 10-23-2008, 12:50 PM   #15
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You 40s nuthugger Robinson didnt have hand speed like Roy Jones

90s nuthugger, I said Charles(not robinson)

btw, I rate Roy Jones # 2 160lber all time so dont call me bias twat
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum