Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 02:37 AM   #16
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 75
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter27
Divac, you scored the first round a draw and gave the second to Margarito, I'm convinced you were drunk watching this fight.
If you recorded the fight, take a look at that 1st round again.....HBO gave lots of credit to Williams for shots that Margarito was picking off.

I dont really have a problem if anybody gave the round to Williams, he was clearly the busier fighter, but in my view he was'nt effectively busy as most of his shots were clearly and visibley getting picked off while most missed a few hard body shots by Margarito that caught my attention.

My reasoning for an even round was that Margarito's harder cleaner body shots offset the busier Williams who was constantly getting blocked by Margarito's gloves.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:40 AM   #17
J_Roth
VRWC Hybrid Beaner
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Being superior to you is only the start
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 2000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

116-112 for Williams.
J_Roth is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:41 AM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 122,053
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
If you recorded the fight, take a look at that 1st round again.....HBO gave lots of credit to Williams for shots that Margarito was picking off.

I dont really have a problem if anybody gave the round to Williams, he was clearly the busier fighter, but in my view he was'nt effectively busy as most of his shots were clearly and visibley getting picked off while most missed a few hard body shots by Margarito that caught my attention.

My reasoning for an even round was that Margarito's harder cleaner body shots offset the busier Williams who was constantly getting blocked by Margarito's gloves.
Lampley also got really shrill yelping about a lot of Margarito's combinations wherein very few shots landed. You want to talk about Tony picking punches off, then we need to also remember how many Paul slipped. Alot more than Tony blocked.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 AM   #19
Sinew
The Assassin
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NJ; training to be a supreme fighter, clashing bone and sinew
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
I see this thread has gotten very few responses as most dont actually have a scorecard to post!
Typical of a fan to just post what the HBO retards feed them.

While some of you decide to take HBO's word that Williams was up 5-0 after 5 rounds at face value.
I saw and scored the fight round by round, and say different.

Heres my complete scorecard......
Rounds 3,4,6,7,8,10 and 11 for Margarito.
Rounds 2,5,9,and 12 for Williams
Round 1 I had even.

7-4-1, which means 116-113 in favor of Antonio Margarito.

I thought what Margarito said post fight was 100% correct.
While Williams threw loads of punches, the great majority of them were picked off by Margarito's gloves, arms and elbows.

Margarito picking off Williams shots was'nt anything that Margarito did that was subtle. It was'nt hard to spot, Margarito was visibly and clearly picking off Williams shot at the pass.

In turn, Margarito's work to WIlliams body went un-noticed by the retards at HBO.

Margarito may have thrown less, but he clearly imo landed the harder, cleaner, and more effective blows.

It was a good contest, but I'm one that does'nt reward fighters like Paul Williams that do very little significant punching.
He was flicking and slapping more than he was punching.

As for Margarito, its a pity that judges often times dont reward body punching. Margarito because Williams was in constant retreat, did his best work to the body.

HBO gave alot of credit to Williams for his jab and volume and punches, but for someone who was supposed to have landed a significant amount more than Margarito, you look at Margarito's face and you could'nt tell he was in a fight.

It was a close fight with alot of close rounds, but I feel Margarito was disrespected by the judges for the champion that he is.
There is absolutely no way that Williams took the title from the champion. Not by running away, and not by the authority (or lack of) that he used in his punches.

116-113 Margarito!
Sinew is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:48 AM   #20
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 122,053
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinew
Somewhere between that and
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #21
Silver
The Champ is Here
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
I see this thread has gotten very few responses as most dont actually have a scorecard to post!
Typical of a fan to just post what the HBO retards feed them.

While some of you decide to take HBO's word that Williams was up 5-0 after 5 rounds at face value.
I saw and scored the fight round by round, and say different.

Heres my complete scorecard......
Rounds 3,4,6,7,8,10 and 11 for Margarito.
Rounds 2,5,9,and 12 for Williams
Round 1 I had even.

7-4-1, which means 116-113 in favor of Antonio Margarito.

I thought what Margarito said post fight was 100% correct.
While Williams threw loads of punches, the great majority of them were picked off by Margarito's gloves, arms and elbows.

Margarito picking off Williams shots was'nt anything that Margarito did that was subtle. It was'nt hard to spot, Margarito was visibly and clearly picking off Williams shot at the pass.

In turn, Margarito's work to WIlliams body went un-noticed by the retards at HBO.

Margarito may have thrown less, but he clearly imo landed the harder, cleaner, and more effective blows.

It was a good contest, but I'm one that does'nt reward fighters like Paul Williams that do very little significant punching.
He was flicking and slapping more than he was punching.

As for Margarito, its a pity that judges often times dont reward body punching. Margarito because Williams was in constant retreat, did his best work to the body.

HBO gave alot of credit to Williams for his jab and volume and punches, but for someone who was supposed to have landed a significant amount more than Margarito, you look at Margarito's face and you could'nt tell he was in a fight.

It was a close fight with alot of close rounds, but I feel Margarito was disrespected by the judges for the champion that he is.
There is absolutely no way that Williams took the title from the champion. Not by running away, and not by the authority (or lack of) that he used in his punches.

116-113 Margarito!
your boy lost, cant you give williams any credit
Silver is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:50 AM   #22
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 75
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt
Lampley also got really shrill yelping about a lot of Margarito's combinations wherein very few shots landed. You want to talk about Tony picking punches off, then we need to also remember how many Paul slipped. Alot more than Tony blocked.
Margarito was punching plenty hard to Williams gut, thats a good reason right there to start to flick and slap with your punches, as Williams did.

There were intances in the fight where Williams would slap and miss with 6 seven punches in a row.


One fighter threw and landed with authorative shots, the other did'nt.
From my perspective, its that simple.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:51 AM   #23
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 75
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinew


Exactly, no response, and no scorecard either.
You just made my point!
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #24
audio101
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

116-113 for Margarito is such a horrible score card. The Margo fans must be in denial at the moment.
audio101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 AM   #25
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 122,053
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
Margarito was punching plenty hard to Williams gut, thats a good reason right there to start to flick and slap with your punches, as Williams did.

There were intances in the fight where Williams would slap and miss with 6 seven punches in a row.


One fighter threw and landed with authorative shots, the other did'nt.
From my perspective, its that simple.
land=touch. if you use this (honest) scoring criteria, williams landed plenty and made margarito miss alot more with his slipping than margarito made him miss with his guard. paul touched margarito's face and neck with half of his flicks in some of those exchanges. were they crushing shots? no. was it effective aggressiveness? well it kept margarito in the range paul wanted him for all but a few rounds of the fight, so i'd say yeah.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #26
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 75
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
your boy lost, cant you give Williams any credit
I can actually live with the 115-113 scorecards turned in by the two judges.
As I said before, there were alot of close rounds....but imo Margarito being the champion, the aggressor, and landing the harder more authorative blows was disrespected in those close round (as they obviously tilted toward Williams by the judges)

Thats no disrespect to Williams, who clearly imo found a way to keep the fight close even in the eyes of someone like myself that scored it for Margarito.

.....again, no disrespect to Williams. I was actually impressed with his staying power down the stretch when Margarito made his customary late charge.

Dont mis-interpret an opinion that Margarito won as disrespect to Williams.
Williams definitely proved he belongs as a player in the welterweight division.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:06 AM   #27
Silver
The Champ is Here
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
I can actually live with the 115-113 scorecards turned in by the two judges.
As I said before, there were alot of close rounds....but imo Margarito being the champion, the aggressor, and landing the harder more authorative blows was disrespected in those close round (as they obviously tilted toward Williams by the judges)

Thats no disrespect to Williams, who clearly imo found a way to keep the fight close even in the eyes of someone like myself that scored it for Margarito.

.....again, no disrespect to Williams. I was actually impressed with his staying power down the stretch when Margarito made his customary late charge.

Dont mis-interpret an opinion that Margarito won as disrespect to Williams.
Williams definitely proved he belongs as a player in the welterweight division.
fine but as for agression, while margo came forward, it was williams who threw way more. margo's blows were more effective but niether man was hurt. williams pretty much beat margo at hiw own game, volume punching. he started off slow like he did vs. clottey but this time it really hurt him.
Silver is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:11 AM   #28
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 75
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt
land=touch. if you use this (honest) scoring criteria, williams landed plenty and made margarito miss alot more with his slipping than margarito made him miss with his guard. paul touched margarito's face and neck with half of his flicks in some of those exchanges. were they crushing shots? no. was it effective aggressiveness? well it kept margarito in the range paul wanted him for all but a few rounds of the fight, so i'd say yeah.
Its a matter of opinion I would guess.

I will say that I scored this fight with unbiased eyes. I did'nt favor won fighter over the other.
.......and I'll also say that I'm a consistent scorer.
For those that know me some, they'll find that I typically favor the harder punching aggressor over a fighter that backtracks while slapping.

This particular fight reminds me some of the Chris Byrd-Andrew Golata fight.....where I clearly had Golata as a more clear winner than Margarito did tonight......

......yet there are those in this forum that would swear Byrd's slaps was enough for them to say Byrd outboxed Golata.

I favor aggression and harder punching over a fighter like Byrd and Williams that not out to punch with a fully closed fist.
I'm consistent in my scoring as to score as such, and my 116-113 score in favor of Margarito I feel reflects that.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #29
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,520
vCash: 75
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
fine but as for agression, while margo came forward, it was williams who threw way more. margo's blows were more effective but niether man was hurt. williams pretty much beat margo at hiw own game, volume punching. he started off slow like he did vs. clottey but this time it really hurt him.
You just said it Silver.........
"MARGO'S BLOWS WERE MORE EFFECTIVE!".......how can anybody who just said this ridicule my 116-113 score.

Magarito's punches were more effective, thats why I did'nt typically follow HBO's lead and assume Williams volume was enough to get him the rounds........

They both are volume puncher Silver, we all knew that going in......
.....but Margarito was more effective, thus he won on my card!
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #30
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 122,053
vCash: 32000
Default Re: Scores for Margo vs. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac
You just said it Silver.........
"MARGO'S BLOWS WERE MORE EFFECTIVE!".......how can anybody who just said this ridicule my 116-113 score.

Magarito's punches were more effective, thats why I did'nt typically follow HBO's lead and assume Williams volume was enough to get him the rounds........

They both are volume puncher Silver, we all knew that going in......
.....but Margarito was more effective, thus he won on my card!
there's effective in terms of being ostensibly harder and accumulatively damaging, and then there's effective in terms of controlling the ring. margarito's were the former, williams' were the latter. the one type of effective aggressiveness only matters if it culminates in a KO, the other wins rounds.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013