Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 AM   #16
BlueApollo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: RJJ not in any shape to face top competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfv
PLEASE let his ego get big enough to fight B-Hop again. Please, boxing gods.

Nah, I actually like Roy enough that I hope it doesn't happen.
BlueApollo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #17
aliwasthegreatest
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

anyone have this fight available for download as i was busy watching the williams fight?
aliwasthegreatest is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #18
CUFreeze
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApollo

Nah, I actually like Roy enough that I hope it doesn't happen.
BHop isn't knocking anyone out at this point. I think Roy would win this fight just like the first time.
CUFreeze is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #19
Malph
Journeyman

I had never seen Hanshaw fight before. Watching him, he just did not seem like a very powerful puncher. Roy was there to be hit to the body many time. Hanshaw was able to take advantage of that in spots, but I think we was'nt powerful enough to make those shots really count. Hanshaw was very game, and that made the fight. If he had just a little more pop the fight would have been much more challenging for RJJ.
Malph is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 AM   #20
aliwasthegreatest
Contender
ESB Senior Member

so noone has clips or anything for download:(
aliwasthegreatest is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #21
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Other than Chad Dawson who really gives Jones trouble at 175 ?
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #22
BOXINGFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUFreeze
No Roy is definitely not what he used to be but no one is at 38. Roy showed a lot last night. He would have dominated that kid but the legs are just not there like they used to be. he was always prone to getting caught on the ropes but he usually got off of them most of the time. nowdays he stays on the ropes. when he is in the middle of the ring though i think he could fight anyone out there today.
Exactly. Hes not what he once was, but of course he isn't. LOL. Hes 38 years old! But hes still pretty good due to his handspeed and experience.
BOXINGFAN is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #23
BOXINGFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets

I still have to say that I thought Jones still looked very much like a threat in the division when he lost to Tarver in their 3rd fight. Last night he looked the least threatening I have ever seen him, and that was in a victorious performance.
So he looked like more of a threat no throwing punches and almost getting KOed? I'm sorry I don't get that. In this fight he was fighting off the ropes, nailing his opponent with right hands. I thought Roy looked the best hes looked since Ruiz. I know Roy isn't what he use to be but hes still got some of his old magic.
BOXINGFAN is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 02:10 PM   #24
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Roy vs Hopkin is the logical fight ..But if Tito does intend on fighting I can't wait ..Jones can still compete with plenty of lt heavies its not like their is one dominant force there .
Old 07-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #25
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

BOXINGFAN, go back and watch the middle rounds of the 3rd Tarver vs. Jones fight. You will see what I mean. He was throwing punches, and looked like he was going to take that fight over. More importantly, he looked like he had a better set of legs underneath him that night. He looked like more of an athlete that night than he did last night. He was still trying to fight like an athlete last night, and that is his problem. He still wants to fight like he did several years ago, and it looks as though his body
won't allow him to.

If Hanshaw is the best that is coming for him, then fine. Jones did a great job fighting off the ropes, and showed how he can deal with a physically strong fighter with awsome fire power. If he can handle that top notch Hanshaw assault, then everyone else is in trouble.

Now if Hanshaw is not a top tier fighter, if he is only B level, and any fighter with an A game can beat him; Jones may be in trouble when he steps up in class.

I don't think he looked like a shot fighter, but he looks like a fighter who's skill set has not evolved with the loss of some of his attributes. He is headed for something that looks like Michael Jordan missing a wide open dunk in an all star game. Maybe putting his hands behind his back, and falling when he misses his kock out shot. Or worse yeat, putting his hands behind his back and getting knocked out before he throws it.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #26
bhwbj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
BOXINGFAN, go back and watch the middle rounds of the 3rd Tarver vs. Jones fight. You will see what I mean. He was throwing punches, and looked like he was going to take that fight over.
And thats when Tarver decided to back off of Jones( who was doing some good work ONLY OFF OF THE ROPES ). Once in the center of the ring, Jones had trouble doing anything. He was reaching for punches AND MISSING THEM because his punching technique requires him to quickly leap in with his punches. HIS LEGS WERE NOW SLOW AND HIS FEET WERE FLAT, thus he couldn't land those type of punches anymore. This is why he now prefers to fight on the ropes( on the inside ) where he's already in range to throw his fast singles. The days of Jones dominating the center of the ring( leaping in and out of danger with lightning potshots ) are sadly gone........sad because that was some fun stuff to watch

We can hope all we want, but I'd rather not see Jones get starched by another fighter that he would have clowned in his prime. Without his legs, he's going to be easy pickings for the top guys at 175( Johnson, Tarver, Hops, and MORE )
bhwbj is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:16 PM   #27
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
We can hope all we want, but I'd rather not see Jones get starched by another fighter that he would have clowned in his prime. Without his legs, he's going to be easy pickings for the top guys at 175( Johnson, Tarver, Hops, and MORE )
W/out his legs ?Hmm he just won by UD ...How can he do that w/no legs ?

And easy pickens for Hopkins ??Um this ain't Tito ..

Tarver well he will always give Jones fits but Johnson he just recently lost to Woods I highly doubt he will startch Jones a 2nd time ..
Old 07-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #28
bhwbj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I disagree, I think a prime Jones with quick legs and stamina would have been able to break Tarver down and showboat.

How can he win a UD without legs you ask? LOL Go watch some old Jones tapes if you are trying to say his legs are the same as always. He won this fight because Henshaw wasn't a top tier fighter. Yes hopkins would beat a slowfooted Jones.....absolutely
bhwbj is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #29
bhwbj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hopkins would keep the fight in the center of the ring, and counter off of Jones' reaching punches( reaching because he can no longer lunge in with his punches in a fast/effective way ). Hopkins could finally get Jones' name on his resume, and I don't want to see it at this point.
bhwbj is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #30
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhwbj
Hopkins would keep the fight in the center of the ring, and counter off of Jones' reaching punches( reaching because he can no longer lunge in with his punches in a fast/effective way ). Hopkins could finally get Jones' name on his resume, and I don't want to see it at this point.
If the fight stays at the center of the ring I favor Jones based on hand speed alone ..Its still better that Hopkins even at this stage ..I'm not sold that Hopkins is beating Jones to the punch ..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum