Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The worst boxing fans in Britain...

Vinny Mitchells bird could give Jeff Lacys a run for her money

Last edited by DelMcClurg; 05-22-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 AM   #17
Mikey
I'm An Uzi Lover
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
Junior Witter's fans are terrible.
Care to elaborate on this point, must suck you get dissed for having no fans yet the only ones you have are meant to be terrible.
Mikey is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #18
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
Junior Witter's fans are terrible.

Also Kevin Mitchell's missus is a pain - then again, if he was fighting in front of a packed arena you may not be able to hear!
you mean junior witters FAN is terrible surely?
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #19
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

I mentioned to my father recently that Anthony Farnell had started posting on ESB.

He went on to tell me his recollection of some rowdy ringside scenes involving some of Farnell's supporters after he controversially lost to Ruben Groenewald and also seemed to recall some of his fans were alleged to have made threats towards Groenewalds camp prior to their rematch.

There was a suggestion of a spitting incident after Farnell's loss to Wayne El**** too.

My view is that even if a boxer attracts an element of undesirable fans we shouldn't tar them all with the same brush.
elle is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
dwilson

vCash:

I think where ever you get a bunch of blokes drinking you will get yob's. I go to alot of the Yorkshire bouts and I hardly ever see trouble but the fans that struck me as being dickheads have mainly being from Doncaster. Obviously most of the people from there are fine but on the occaison that trouble has erupted at an event it has involved Donny fans.

The last event I went to was the Edwards vs Bloy bill in Barnsley. Great night but a mass brawl broke out between Donny fans after Lee Haskins beat thier fighter and all the way through the card the security kept having to keep them in check from storming the ring. When Bloy won his title the atmosphere was awful due to these numpties.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #21
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

I remember the Minter fans giving Hagler a welcome I doubt he's forgotten....
And on that note I seem to remember Minter giving a Hopkinsesque quote prior to getting raped.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #22
Mikey
I'm An Uzi Lover
ESB Senior Member

There was brawls at the last Khan fight.
Mikey is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 06:54 AM   #23
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Hate to say it.... and i'm going to be called a hater but one set of fans really stands out in my mind..... Amir Khans. Just after the olympic games Khan entered the ABA's I was really pleased because Khan had seemed to bridge the divide between the retard element who would have difficulty supporting a fighter of different ethnicity to them. The support seemed pretty much universal but then when I attended the match with Craig Watson and co there were a load of asian lads running around in t shirts with the ****stani flag and a picture of Amir Khan, with a logo saying 'property of islam' on it! I was disgusted and I know a friend of mine who attended with me now will not support Khan due to that attitude and the behaviour of his fans that night.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #24
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
you mean junior witters FAN is terrible surely?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #25
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Hate to say it.... and i'm going to be called a hater but one set of fans really stands out in my mind..... Amir Khans. Just after the olympic games Khan entered the ABA's I was really pleased because Khan had seemed to bridge the divide between the retard element who would have difficulty supporting a fighter of different ethnicity to them. The support seemed pretty much universal but then when I attended the match with Craig Watson and co there were a load of asian lads running around in t shirts with the ****stani flag and a picture of Amir Khan, with a logo saying 'property of islam' on it! I was disgusted and I know a friend of mine who attended with me now will not support Khan due to that attitude and the behaviour of his fans that night.

I have a mate who went to a couple of the early Khan fights. He hated it and say's he will never go to another fight again due to what went off at those Khan fights. I think he was at the Limond fight when alot of trouble was caused by Khan fan's. He noted he scared for his life trying to get to his car after the event. Every single Khan fight seems to be surrounded with awful events in the crowd.

Anyone know how the kid is who got taken to hospital during the Khan/Kristjansen fight is?

Alot of trouble has followed his younger brother at amature events too.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #26
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
I have a mate who went to a couple of the early Khan fights. He hated it and say's he will never go to another fight again due to what went off at those Khan fights. I think he was at the Limond fight when alot of trouble was caused by Khan fan's. He noted he scared for his life trying to get to his car after the event. Every single Khan fight seems to be surrounded with awful events in the crowd.

Anyone know how the kid is who got taken to hospital during the Khan/Kristjansen fight is?

Alot of trouble has followed his younger brother at amature events too.
Careful you'll be branded! lol! on a serious note its not something I wish to comment on too much but it is a problem and its worth bearing in mind should you attend one of his fights with your kids etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #27
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i think the trouble is when a local fighter starts to make a name for himself,he attracts a lot of parochial types who couldn't care less if he's a boxer or plays tiddlywinks,they get off on the attention their manor is attracting.they're not boxing fans they wouldn't know a block from a feint,a hook from a jab.they have more of the football fan mentallity seeing the other guys fans as just someone to mock and shout down,and occasionally ruck with.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 07:17 AM   #28
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

It always happens at cricket events too - they obviously don't get out much!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #29
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Careful you'll be branded! lol! on a serious note its not something I wish to comment on too much but it is a problem and its worth bearing in mind should you attend one of his fights with your kids etc.

Yep. I will not be taking the kids to a fight for a long time.

The last fight in Barnsley I had planned to go with my dad and grandad but I am so glad they could not make it. Great night but I was very lucky not to be involved in the out of ring fighting. I got a great seat and view. But happened to be in next to the Donny lot who brought a load of fans (5 boxers from Donny). I moved seats twice to avoid the fighting and luckily had a few Sheffield pro's and ex pro's looking out for me by the end of the night.

The security did well until it really kicked off, after that they gave up and sat back. They had an hard nights work.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I never used to have any trouble at my fights.... my fans always kept themselves to themselves..... and as an added bonus they all used to fit in the Ford Ka and leave enough room for me to get home if I was to concussed to drive. lol

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum