Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Does beating Bernard Hopkins impress you more then Beating Kostya Tszyu?
Yes! 17 34.00%
No! 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
Jimbo
Super Sharp Shooter
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I Zaggy beats Hopkins is it more impressive then Hatton beating Tszyu?

Not sure if it's been posted before but here's a video of JC on the double end bag in a public workout shortly before he flew out to Vegas.

BORKED

.. and with Enzo on the pads.

BORKED

He looks good for the extra 7lb in the padwork vid.
Jimbo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
ghostlybadge
Punch Drunk
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: I Zaggy beats Hopkins is it more impressive then Hatton beating Tszyu?

looks good in them 2 vids showing power we have not seen in a few fights but also showing great speed.

whp knows how them extra 7 lbs are going to affect him we will find out on sat night
ghostlybadge is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #18
TFFP

vCash:

I'd say it very much depends on the style in which Calzaghe wins

Points to consider:

- Calzaghe is fighting in Vegas, whilst Hatton was in his backyard
- Stylistically Hopkins SHOULD be tricky for Joe, whereas Tszyu hates the pressure fighting
- Hatton's victory is somewhat tainted by the favourable refereeing
- Hopkins is probably in better form than that version of Tszyu, and is certainly the more resourceful fighter
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #19
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
I still don't think much of Hatton and his cherry-picking ways.
Fighting a 43 year old man isn't cherry picking?
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #20
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
I'd say it very much depends on the style in which Calzaghe wins

Points to consider:

- Calzaghe is fighting in Vegas, whilst Hatton was in his backyard
- Stylistically Hopkins SHOULD be tricky for Joe, whereas Tszyu hates the pressure fighting
- Hatton's victory is somewhat tainted by the favourable refereeing
- Hopkins is probably in better form than that version of Tszyu, and is certainly the more resourceful fighter
Point 1 is fair enough and point 3 is a matter of opinion (Zoo was no angel in there that night), but I'd disagree with 2 and 4. This version of Hopkins should be made for a busy fighter like Calzaghe, whereas most people on here thought that Hattons come forward style was made for Zoos big right hands. I'd also say that Zoo was in better form than Hops coming into the fights, admittedly he'd only been fighting once a year coming into the Hatton fight but he was winning well and at the time most people though that was good way to for him to extend his career. Hopkins isn't fighting that often either and has two loses, win against a 154lber and a good win against Tarver coming into this. I'd agree that Hopkins is the more resourcefull and wily boxer though.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #21
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Point 1 is fair enough and point 3 is a matter of opinion (Zoo was no angel in there that night), but I'd disagree with 2 and 4. This version of Hopkins should be made for a busy fighter like Calzaghe, whereas most people on here thought that Hattons come forward style was made for Zoos big right hands. I'd also say that Zoo was in better form than Hops coming into the fights, admittedly he'd only been fighting once a year coming into the Hatton fight but he was winning well and at the time most people though that was good way to for him to extend his career. Hopkins isn't fighting that often either and has two loses, win against a 154lber and a good win against Tarver coming into this. I'd agree that Hopkins is the more resourcefull and wily boxer though.
Well, they weren't points of fact, just mere opinion

Yes, from a stamina point of view its going to be difficult against the busy Calzaghe but purely from a stylistic viewpoint it is not so easy. As confident as I am Joe will win this fight he will be countered, and this can offset a busy fighter. Hopkins is a master of timing and distance, even at this age. The southpaw is always there for the right hand, Hopkins most effective punch

As for Tzsyu, he is definitely not at this most effective on the backfoot. He doesn't get the same leverage on that right hand when countering. That was evident, Hatton walked through them. He is very much like Miranda in that sense, he needs to be coming forward off the jab for full impact. Tszyu is at his worst against pressure fighters

I take back Hopkins being in better form, they are both coming off lay offs and Tszyu's win over Mitchell was impressive. What I should say is that Hopkins has the greater ring IQ to adapt to being past his peak, whereas I'm not sure that is the case with Tszyu
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Hatton being able to walk through zoo wasn't something most people had predicted though. Hatton was supposed to come forward and Zoo would time him with the right hand. I agree, as it turned out Hatton was the wrong style and just too busy for Zoo at that stage in his career.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #23
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Hatton would have never won tha fight outside Manchester. the ref was so bias that night.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #24
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Both wins at a similar level. Hopkins being the slighly bigger scalp.

But it really shows ignorance when people say "Tzsyu was 6 years younger blah blah" thats like a comment I expect from a non boxing fan who has no clue about Bernard Hopkins.

Hopkins is the physical exception to anyone in boxing. You only need to look at his previous 2 wins to prove hes still at a very high level.
Diablo is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #25
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
Fighting a 43 year old man isn't cherry picking?
If you are so obsessed with age would you prefer he fought a 39 year old Jones? Its a lower number and thats all you are basing your stupid argument on.
Diablo is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #26
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135
Hatton would have never won tha fight outside Manchester. the ref was so bias that night.
It was a rough fight, both fighters gave it and took it. People who picked "Zoo by brutal KO" just try and discredit the (derserved) win.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Now the fight is out the way I wonder if those who voted 'yes' still think Calzaghe's win is more impressive than Hatton's....
elle is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #28
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

hattons win all day long
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Hattons easily.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #30
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Beating Lacy was more Impressive. Never seen a fighter dominate someone that bad.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum