Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Should Khan have been stopped in round 6

Obviously I only say this because it burst my cupon but Khan appears to get knocked down, there is a slight delay before the ref commences counting (he does commence the count at 5) but as he stops counting The protesting Khan thinks better of his condition and he crupmles to his knees.

Should the ref have stopped the bout at this point?
AllyT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
Default Re: Should Khan have been stopped in round 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyT
Obviously I only say this because it burst my cupon but Khan appears to get knocked down, there is a slight delay before the ref commences counting (he does commence the count at 5) but as he stops counting The protesting Khan thinks better of his condition and he crupmles to his knees.

Should the ref have stopped the bout at this point?
He could've but in hindsight would've been prooved to be wrong.
Just wished the same had happened in the Pryce-Small match.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 05:43 AM   #3
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
The count was slow in starting. Do you think the ref wants to be responsible for slaughtering ******'s new cash cow.

******'s a very experience operator: he can tell good from bad and he knows Khan can't hack it with a big puncher. he put him in with Limond, partly I think, to show Khan he still has work to do.

Even if Limond was at his hardest hitting best, he's still not a concussive puncher like Thaxton. Thaxton would get ********* for three rounds until Khan got ****y, then he'd leave himself open and he'd get belted.

Did you hear what they said in Limond's corner: if you can take away his speed he's not got much else.

Can't really disagree with that.
I'd agree that Khan at the moment is making a living off of his natural gifts, mainly his speed. While he has solid punching technique, he is not fighting in a style the complements his talents and in terms of boxing skill he is still an amatuer. Britains best talents need to start being trained by world class trainers if they are ever to compete on a world stage.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
joe33

vCash:

Considering khan was the main fighter,i thought that the ref was pretty good to limond,i thought he may have stopped him after his savage beating in the last 2 rounds,we have all seen that before,look at joe calazages last fight against that reality tv knob,so i really did think he would pull limond out of there fast once he got hurt,so full props to him for letting it go on.
And i dont think he should have stopped the fight in the 6th,he had khan serioulsy hurt yes,but he is young and that saved him,also sadly limond wasted the last of his reserves in the beat down,he was done from there on in.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Maza1987
Illin' since '87
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 3356

dont be silly, limond never pushed thru his advantage.
he hardly caught khan after the knockdown. the ref didnt have any decision to make.
Maza1987 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 AM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Don't be stupid. Of course not.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

If it had been one of Khans opponents they'd have been stopped for going down the second time. Khan got special treatment no doubt but he probably should be allowed to go on there as he isn't some awful boxer who will be inevitablly hurt if allowed to continue.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ive not seen this yet as i was at work when it happened

all i will say is i thought Willie would provide Khan with a stern test but lacked the punch to test those whiskers

looks like i was right and wrong on this one...sorry sack swingers but Willie whilst a solid solid operator ain't a puncher in any way shape or form and if he did have Khan in serious trouble then his beard really is likely made of China

ive never been sold on Khan and recently hes been getting ****y...i mean what the **** has he done ? less than the much maligned Audley Harrison actually...

Khan will never be an all time great...never...say what you will but few fighters with glass jaws get far Hearns and Judah perhaps Floyd Patterson...but most all time greats Ali Hagler etc have iron jaws or others have ungodly defences such as Pep or Whittaker...Khan fighting Floyd Mayweather within 3 years of debuting or whatever it was he said yeah ****ing right !

(Ill watch the fight now and post my full opinion after that)
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Don't be stupid. Of course not.
Questions are never stupid, although sometimes answers are.
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Questions are never stupid, although sometimes answers are.
Well your question was stupid so I guess that kind of proves you wrong doesn't it!

Khan got hit, he got hurt, he went down, he got up and he survived. It really was very simple. It was 12 round fight for a major domestic title and with two experienced and skilled operators.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Technically when Khan went down on his knees again once the count was on the Ref could have stopped it there and then...surely that is a sign the boxer is far from ok?

Well done to Khan for the comeback though. Willie totally burnt himself out trying to find the KO punch without getting anywhere near it for the remainder of the round.

Shame that someone as talented as Khan would now appear to have a very weak jaw though...not much training you can do to change that!
AAA is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat
Well your question was stupid so I guess that kind of proves you wrong doesn't it!

Khan got hit, he got hurt, he went down, he got up and he survived. It really was very simple. It was 12 round fight for a major domestic title and with two experienced and skilled operators.
Perhaps before criticising my question you should have made a more serious attempt to understand it. I want to know how the referee should have applied the rules at that moment and not with the benefit of hindsight or your prejudices.

On the subject of stupid answers, since when is the Commonwealth title domestic?
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA
Technically when Khan went down on his knees again once the count was on the Ref could have stopped it there and then...surely that is a sign the boxer is far from ok?

Well done to Khan for the comeback though. Willie totally burnt himself out trying to find the KO punch without getting anywhere near it for the remainder of the round.

Shame that someone as talented as Khan would now appear to have a very weak jaw though...not much training you can do to change that!
Not really, he was clearly confused by his corner. This is called experience. In future he will take an 8 count and not risk getting stopped because of a muddle up.

Khans jaw doesn't appear legendary but you damn right training can improve that. Khan has loads of improvement to do and is far from the finished article. It still is his 13th bout.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
AllyT
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAA

I take it you are an Arthur fan.

FW has apparently spoken with Arthur about a future match between these two. How long do think it would last?
AllyT is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #15
AAA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I take it you are an Arthur fan.

FW has apparently spoken with Arthur about a future match between these two. How long do think it would last?
Big Arthur fan here. Also spent a wee while at the Leith Victoria myself last year.

Leading into the fight last night I'd have said Khan v Arthur would have been a bloody difficult one to call. After last nights fight, I still think it would be a tough fight for both guys. But Arthur would stop Khan I now think. He has the power and extra shots that Limond lacks.

No chin of steel himself, but I think it is more solid than Khans.

As for improving you chin, I'm not convinced it is the actual chin that improves. For sure Khan has to improve his defence (which will certainly help), but one lapse or good shot to the chin could have him in a lot more bother than many fighters. It has been pointed out elsewhere that many fighters have gone on to have excellent careers with a weakish chin, as could Khan. But any top level boxer with a good punch on them will be gunning to get in the ring with him now.
AAA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum