Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
maka
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default congrats JC

i was happy with the result simply because bhop was holdin on the whole fight and got his just desserts with the verdict, how he can say he schooled joe is total crap..........what did he teach him?

how to go for a walk ?

how to hug and hold ?

how to win an oscar ?

bunce v mcguigan was quite funny too........... bunce @ it again with the shit talk
maka is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
dan-b

vCash:
Default Re: congrats JC

Good for you. People in the know at least give Hopkins credit & some the victory including one judge. Joe did not look impressive at all.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #3
TheChamp1000
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Good for you. People in the know at least give Hopkins credit & some the victory including one judge. Joe did not look impressive at all.
I had it calzaghe by 2 in the end, a lot of rounds were close but I feel with the early knock down joe had to pressure b-hop in the first half of the fight playing catch up and only mid to late in the fight did he come through.

With the early knock down B-hop could grab a few rounds early countering and moving away from joe. In the end I felt joe was a deserved winner.

Did you score it for jc dan?
TheChamp1000 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hopkins did what he had to do. I didnt have a big problem with the holding, many fighters get away with it. A younger Nard may have had the energy to win the decision. But in the end Calzaghe won the fight with his aggression and volume of punches.
Diablo is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Aye, congratulations to Joe I suppose.

I was right to change my prediction to a Calzaghe win, cos I knew that B-Hop at his advanced age of 43 wouldnt be able to keep up a high enough workrate anymore for the duration of the fight to get a decision aginst a younger fresher Calzaghe. Father time catches up with us all, even Hopkins.

I was annoyed at Joe Calzaghe after the fight though calling himself a 'legend killer' OK, Hopkins is a legend but Joe got him at the right time, Hopkins will be 44 years old any day now, & by the sounds of it many thought Calzaghe lost.

I didnt see the fight, I listened to it on Radio 5 live & Costello & Duke McKenzie both had Hopkins winning the fight at the end. Strange stuff, & I think in time people wont look on this as a good win for Calzaghe given the circumstances.
I did warn here that Joe was making a mistake taking on an old Hopkins, & I still believe I am correct. Just how much credit does Joe tke from being decked & winning a controversial split decision against a 43 year old fighter?
These are the questions that will come up time & time again from now on.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Aye, congratulations to Joe I suppose.

I was right to change my prediction to a Calzaghe win, cos I knew that B-Hop at his advanced age of 43 wouldnt be able to keep up a high enough workrate anymore for the duration of the fight to get a decision aginst a younger fresher Calzaghe. Father time catches up with us all, even Hopkins.

I was annoyed at Joe Calzaghe after the fight though calling himself a 'legend killer' OK, Hopkins is a legend but Joe got him at the right time, Hopkins will be 44 years old any day now, & by the sounds of it many thought Calzaghe lost.

I didnt see the fight, I listened to it on Radio 5 live & Costello & Duke McKenzie both had Hopkins winning the fight at the end. Strange stuff, & I think in time people wont look on this as a good win for Calzaghe given the circumstances.
I did warn here that Joe was making a mistake taking on an old Hopkins, & I still believe I am correct. Just how much credit does Joe tke from being decked & winning a controversial split decision against a 43 year old fighter?
These are the questions that will come up time & time again from now on.
Real boxing fans will not dismiss hopkins as a old man despite his age. Hopkins was lineal lightheavyweight champ and had wins over Winky and Tarver in his previous 2 fights. This will always be viewed as a fine win.
Diablo is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo
Real boxing fans will not dismiss hopkins as a old man despite his age. Hopkins was lineal lightheavyweight champ and had wins over Winky and Tarver in his previous 2 fights. This will always be viewed as a fine win.
Im a real boxing fan, & a big Hopkins fan. & even I changed my mind here & admitted Joe had got B-Hop at the right time.

So for Joe to call himself a 'legend killer' doesnt sit easy with me, when the legend was 43 years old & still put Joe on his arse. Im just being honest, I predicted Joe was making a big mistake fighting a wily old campaigner like Hopkins, & I see nothing to disprove my theory.

Remember, Joe was laughing off hopkins because he was in his 40's, Im just telling it like it is.
In the cold light of day when people come down from their 'high' on these shores about Calzaghe winning in america, they will look at it for what it is, & in their heart of hearts will wish Calzaghe had never went near him.

The controversy train is coming.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:01 AM   #8
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Im a real boxing fan, & a big Hopkins fan. & even I changed my mind here & admitted Joe had got B-Hop at the right time.

So for Joe to call himself a 'legend killer' doesnt sit easy with me, when the legend was 43 years old & still put Joe on his arse. Im just being honest, I predicted Joe was making a big mistake fighting a wily old campaigner like Hopkins, & I see nothing to disprove my theory.

Remember, Joe was laughing off hopkins because he was in his 40's, Im just telling it like it is.
In the cold light of day when people come down from their 'high' on these shores about Calzaghe winning in america, they will look at it for what it is, & in their heart of hearts will wish Calzaghe had never went near him.

Nah, the only controversial thing about the fight was one judge giving it to Hops and another to Joe by a mile, both were wrong, Joe won a close one fair and square.

Joe's legend killer comments were about as silly as Hopkins comments that he took Joe to school.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 02:17 AM   #9
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

I agree.

Well done to Joe anyway for winning.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 02:45 AM   #10
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
I agree.

Well done to Joe anyway for winning.
Good man JonOli, its nice to get a compliment from time to time, most here dont like to admit I know what Im talking about!

& I am sure all the UK fans will be right behind Alex Arthur when he take on Joan Guzman here also.

Wont they?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #11
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah Joe was talking shit with the whole "legend killer" thing. But Hopkins has proven time and again that he's a crafty bastard and hasn't been around this long by being an average fighter. Joe deserves a lot of credit for getting the win. A win that by most accounts, is well deserved.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 AM   #12
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b

Against BHOP's yes. Much like you were saying how it was okay for BHOP to look bad against Winky because Winky is a spoiler.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 AM   #13
timber
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 991

yes, youve got to give Joe credit because he achived something all but two other fighters (including many hof)failed to do.
He also did this by stepping up devision for the first time.
Wether 43 or not, Hopkins was the the top,linear, well respected (and rightly so) LHW champ.
Calzaghe went into the lions den and did the job whereas most of our top boxers fail at this stage .
My respect for Joe has increased,kudos to him!
timber is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
Serenata
Fit und geimpft
ESB Addict

vCash: 1678

Grats from Germany to the pride of wales.
Serenata is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Old or not Hop was the reigning champ and considered the best at 175. joe won clear imo.

it was a horrible fight to look at, but that was down to Hopkins' so called 'tactics'. people aree calling him 'wily' or 'crafty' and some are calling him clever, when in relaity he is a cheating bastard who is almost always horrible to watch!

I think it is great that Joe has finally got him out of the way, won his 2nd title in a 2nd weight class and has the atg name on the record. He cant rest on his laurels though, he still has more in him.
jc is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum