Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
TFFP

vCash:
Default Calzaghe vs. Hopkins - Post fight analysis

My thoughts:

- Hopkins fought as I expected. As far as boxing goes his tactics were to lure Joe in and counter almost exclusively with the right hand. This seemed to comprise about 30% of his gameplan, the other 70 being fighting off the ropes, boaring in with the head, hugging, hitting on the break and even gamesmanship to try and fool the ref into taking points

- Joe started off very poorly, which I did not anticipate, culminating in an embarrassing knockdown, which dan-b called. It certainly took a period of adjustment for Joe to get into this fight, which I would put down the the natural stylistic advantage Hopkins has as a counterpuncher

- Once Joe had adjusted, he seemed to take control and the fight became fairly repetetive. Joe would back Hopkins up, where he would unleash a flurry of arm punches, sometimes effective, sometimes not so much, and Hopkins would hold. Inbetween these exchanges, Hopkins would catch Joe with sporadic right hands - probably the cleanest punches of the fight

- Hopkins kept it more competetive than I anticipated, and I must hold my hands up and say I got that very wrong. Not so much on the scorecard, but the nature of the fight was simply that Joe landed few meaningful shots and one could even argue Hopkins landed the best shots of the night

- Joe is most definitely deteriorating, which I have noticed in his last couple of fights, and it continued tonight. One more fight and call it a day please Joe...

- Hopkins would make mincemeat of Pavlik, whos **** is getting quite the work-out by the hordes of bitter gimps in the general

- A note on Cortez, since there is much whining in the general. I was happy enough with his performance. He broke the clinches as quick as he could. It must be said Joe more than held his own in those exchanges, it was never going to be a classic, and in a perverse way I enjoyed it as it showed the other side of Joe's game

Final scorecard: 117-111 Joe Calzaghe.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #2
dan-b

vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs. Hopkins - Post fight analysis

Fair post. I agree with everything except the score. I guess it comes down to how you score rounds.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
El Matador
Your Boxing Authority
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
My thoughts:

- Hopkins fought as I expected. As far as boxing goes his tactics were to lure Joe in and counter almost exclusively with the right hand. This seemed to comprise about 30% of his gameplan, the other 70 being fighting off the ropes, boaring in with the head, hugging, hitting on the break and even gamesmanship to try and fool the ref into taking points

- Joe started off very poorly, which I did not anticipate, culminating in an embarrassing knockdown, which dan-b called. It certainly took a period of adjustment for Joe to get into this fight, which I would put down the the natural stylistic advantage Hopkins has as a counterpuncher

- Once Joe had adjusted, he seemed to take control and the fight became fairly repetetive. Joe would back Hopkins up, where he would unleash a flurry of arm punches, sometimes effective, sometimes not so much, and Hopkins would hold. Inbetween these exchanges, Hopkins would catch Joe with sporadic right hands - probably the cleanest punches of the fight

- Hopkins kept it more competetive than I anticipated, and I must hold my hands up and say I got that very wrong. Not so much on the scorecard, but the nature of the fight was simply that Joe landed few meaningful shots and one could even argue Hopkins landed the best shots of the night

- Joe is most definitely deteriorating, which I have noticed in his last couple of fights, and it continued tonight. One more fight and call it a day please Joe...

- Hopkins would make mincemeat of Pavlik, whos **** is getting quite the work-out by the hordes of bitter gimps in the general

- A note on Cortez, since there is much whining in the general. I was happy enough with his performance. He broke the clinches as quick as he could. It must be said Joe more than held his own in those exchanges, it was never going to be a classic, and in a perverse way I enjoyed it as it showed the other side of Joe's game

Final scorecard: 117-111 Joe Calzaghe.
My final tally was closer, but no more victorious for Hopkins.

I think Joe definitely deserved it, based on withstanding Hopkins early sucess and landing more with better timing in the later half of the fight.
El Matador is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #4
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000

Piss poor start by Joe. The first was the worst I've ever seen him look and I could see all of Dan's prediction coming true right there.

Joe looked noticeably less sharp than he did against Kessler.

Hopkins, despite his age is still world class, no question.

After the first 3 or 4 Joe got into his stride and though he didn't look great or romp away with it or anything he was winning rounds from then.

Hopkins landed the better, cleaner shots. Calzaghe landed more but nothing of great substance though enough to win enough rounds to take a close fight. No one has ever looked good vs nard and Joe didn't. But he certainly won.

115- 113
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Joe was clearly unsure if he had won at the final bell. That says enough about the closeness of the fight.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Joe was clearly unsure if he had won at the final bell. That says enough about the closeness of the fight.
He was probably more apprehensive about whether the judges would pull one of their famous Las Vegas tricks rather than worried in his own mind. Then that dumb bitch Byrd scores it for Hopkins as if to prove his point

It was not really close.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 AM   #7
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
He was probably more apprehensive about whether the judges would pull one of their famous Las Vegas tricks rather than worried in his own mind. Then that dumb bitch Byrd scores it for Hopkins as if to prove his point

It was not really close.
I disagree I think it could have easily gone to Hopkins and there would have been no huge grounds for complaint.

Joe showed endeavour tonight but little else boxing wise, imo.

Most of the rounds could easily have been given either way.

Hopkins wasn't even remotely hurt, Joe was knocked down and stunned several times by Hopkins (I realise thats not how they score it). At times it was a little embarrassing, joe was all over the shop; out on his feat.

Remove the blinkers.

Joe won and I'm really pleased for him but don't pretend it to be a clear convincing victory, it really wasn't.

Last edited by JonOli; 04-20-2008 at 02:13 AM.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quite disappointing over all (No, I wasn't expecting a slug-out).

I was supporting Hopkins but the decision doesn't bother me (I had it 115-112 to JC). But none of them looked like champions in there. This is the right time for both to retire, because they're very beatable.

Hopkins started strong with his KO but he just wasn't punching. If he kept punching then the points win was in his pocket. Disappointing from someone who is known to be a master strategist.

Calzaghe was smart enough to get himself points in every round, and didn't get too intimidated by Hopkins, which is good. But he was mediocre, at best,a and his lack of punching power is going to cost him if he chooses to continue fighting.
Akxtinguish is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:53 AM   #9
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akxtinguish
Quite disappointing over all (No, I wasn't expecting a slug-out).

I was supporting Hopkins but the decision doesn't bother me (I had it 115-112 to JC). But none of them looked like champions in there. This is the right time for both to retire, because they're very beatable.

Hopkins started strong with his KO but he just wasn't punching. If he kept punching then the points win was in his pocket. Disappointing from someone who is known to be a master strategist.

Calzaghe was smart enough to get himself points in every round, and didn't get too intimidated by Hopkins, which is good. But he was mediocre, at best,a and his lack of punching power is going to cost him if he chooses to continue fighting.

Yep.

But Hopkins has not had punching power for a very long time and you have to go back a few years to find his last credible KO. I thought he fought to his tactics well and he believed with his corner that he had cruised the fight.

Joe was good at times and poor at times but no one ever looks good against Hopkins. He adapted and came through the fight well nicking consecutive rounds.

About them retiring, maybe Hopkins but not Joe. Joe could fight RJJ, Tarver and Dawson. No one in the Light Heavy division or Super Middle are able to beat Joe, he could clean up this division with ease, he has now fought and beaten the best guy in it who would have offered him the hardest fight so now he may as well pick up some more big money fights. Hopkins would be my pick to beat any other Light Heavy and Super Middle.

I had it 114-113 Hopkins but most of my Hopkins rounds are the ones everybody else gave JC.

Last edited by China_hand_Joe; 05-27-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
madpup
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I had Calzaghe winning by a couple of rounds. I think Hopkin's age ended up being the deciding factor, he simply did not have the stamina to go with Joe in the later rounds.

Last edited by Dipper_Brown; 05-27-2007 at 02:23 PM.
madpup is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
But Hopkins has not had punching power for a very long time and you have to go back a few years to find his last credible KO. I thought he fought to his tactics well and he believed with his corner that he had cruised the fight.
This is what frustrates me (as a Hopkins suppoter). He didn't even HAVE to punch with power, (Calzaghe wasn't hitting hard at all), he just had to touch him (even on the gloves would have been fine).

His corner has been through this before in Vegas and should have known that they give points for most kinds of punches, regardless of power and where they land.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
This is what frustrates me (as a Hopkins suppoter). He didn't even HAVE to punch with power, (Calzaghe wasn't hitting hard at all), he just had to touch him (even on the gloves would have been fine).

His corner has been through this before in Vegas and should have known that they give points for most kinds of punches, regardless of power and where they land.

Yep. That is why I had my close rounds to Hopkins for that very reason. Hopkins caught JC as hard as he could while JC just made sure he got them landed, he did not care of quality. Over all apart from the flash knock down Hopkins failed to hurt Calzaghe or come close to causing any danger.

Both came out of the fight looking they had just been for a jog. JC had a cut onhis nose but nothing more. I think if Hopkins had put some damage on JC then the close rounds would have gone to him instead of the other way round.

The big shame is that the gulf in class between thses two and the rest means we have no more hard to pick winners from future match ups. I picked Hopkins before the fight.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #13
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The big shame is that the gulf in class between thses two and the rest means we have no more hard to pick winners from future match ups. I picked Hopkins before the fight.
I also picked Hopkins. I'm not sure about future match ups. I don't know what Hopkins is doing (I don't think he'd like to retire like this, but he might have to), but I want to see Calzaghe in another one or two LHW fights against an opponent who throws more punches.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:49 AM   #14
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good win for JC and showed Bhops to be a boring spoiler.

Bhops was negative for most the fight, using his head and the low blow b/s was utter shit.

The post fight interview with Bhops showed he is heading the same way as Holyfield. He was talking utter crap about how he schooled JC and how the crowd knew who the real victor was. Just a shame as the crowd came to see a boxing match not a wrestling match, JC was the only one willing to fight whilst Phops was happy to clinch and hug JC every chance he got.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #15
dwilson

vCash:

Quote:
I also picked Hopkins. I'm not sure about future match ups. I don't know what Hopkins is doing (I don't think he'd like to retire like this, but he might have to), but I want to see Calzaghe in another one or two LHW fights against an opponent who throws more punches.

Yep.

The main other picks offer nothing that gets the pulse racing. I found it hard to pick a winner before last nights fight but if JC fights Dawson, RJJ, Pavlik, Taylor or Tarver then I could only ever see Joe winning.

RJJ would be great just to say that it happened, financially very good too.

Dawson is maybe the best other Light Heavy but he is far far from being real top class.

Pavlik is dangerous but just a simple fight for Joe.

Taylor could be interesting but Joe has the size and everything alse to beat him.

Tarver could be cool but why face the man who lost bad to the man you just beat?

I think RJJ will happen but I would not be surprised if someone chucked in a re match of lasts nights fight. I would not want to see it but we could get it depending on the money.

I think Hopkins could have another fight and I am sure he will want to go on at least untill next year. He may believe he can get two good fights before the year is done. A re match with RJJ or a cunning jump to cruiser to fight Cunningham. The man is not interested in money so that fight would help his legacy.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum