Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Calzaghe to seal his legacy against another old fighter?

I cant believe it. Fresh after his 'finest' win against a 43 year old Hopkins, its being reported Calzaghe is looking to seal his 'greatness' by fighting Roy Jones jnr, another fighter who will be in his 40's by then.
My goodness, Im almost left speechless. Calzaghe is going to go down as a legend for beating the best american fighters cos he simply has outlived them.

Calzaghe is a fine fighter, I have no qualms with that. However, all this "he beat Hopkins & now hes after Jones" stuff makes me nod my head in shame as a true boxing fan. Its an insult to my intelligence that I am supposed to see Joe Calzaghe as the king of kings if he manages to beat two former legends who are in their forties.
I know my opinion isnt going to go down well among my fellow posters here, but I cannot hold back. 43 year old Hopkins followed by 40 year old Jones? Eubank & Benn were ducking these guys back in the day, & look how long they have been retired. & now Calzaghe is putting these names on his record like hes achieving greatness. Sorry, but I dont fall for it. Not for one minute.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2000
Default Re: Calzaghe to seal his legacy against another old fighter?

Calzaghe's legacy got sealed tonight. End of story.

Even if he now goes on to lose a fight or he never fights again he will be remembered. He's won at 2 weights, fought in the USA, held a belt for a decade. He's beaten young guns in Lacy and Kessler, and wiley gits like Eubank and Hopkins... Hopkins though 43 still world class and top ten P4P material I might add.

No his record will never look as good as RJJ or SRL or guys like that but there is no longer any question marks over him at all.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Eubank & Benn were ducking these guys back in the day
Priceless.

Eubank was never a ducker - but he always valued his heath and wanted to be paid well to put it the line which I think is fair enough.

Benn would have fought em in their living room for free given half a chance.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamE
Calzaghe's legacy got sealed tonight. End of story.

Even if he now goes on to lose a fight or he never fights again he will be remembered. He's won at 2 weights, fought in the USA, held a belt for a decade. He's beaten young guns in Lacy and Kessler, and wiley gits like Eubank and Hopkins... Hopkins though 43 still world class and top ten P4P material I might add.

No his record will never look as good as RJJ or SRL or guys like that but there is no longer any question marks over him at all.
You forgot to mention how much weight Eubank had to burn off to fight Calzaghe, when Eubank, like Hopkins was WAY past his best.

Calzaghe has got good names on his resume, but please dont insult my intelligence by claiming that Eubank & Hopkins were anything but past their sell by date.
No offence, but Im an old hand here. I know what Im talking about.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
Smazz20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

No way in hell did Benn duck Jones.
Smazz20 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
dwilson

vCash:

Calzaghe has sealed his place in boxing history as an ATG and maybe a top five British great. A big money fight against RJJ would be good for him financially.

But RJJ is not the force he once was. He is still maybe the hardest fight he can get after Tarver and Dawson who do not strike fear into anyones heart.

I think he should go for RJJ, the fight would be easy to make now.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #7
MrSmall

Benn would have gone at it at the drop of a hat.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 AM   #8
LiamE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You forgot to mention how much weight Eubank had to burn off to fight Calzaghe, when Eubank, like Hopkins was WAY past his best..
He was preparing to fight at lightheavy and fought at SMW instead. Big deal. Eubank always cut it fine and late with the weight. He was in good shape against Joe and lasted 12 well. Eubank may not have been at his peak but the Thompson fights showed he had a hell of a lot left.

Quote:
Calzaghe has got good names on his resume, but please dont insult my intelligence by claiming that Eubank & Hopkins were anything but past their sell by date.
No offence, but Im an old hand here. I know what Im talking about.
No offence taken or meant, but in the same way that Hopkins at 43 is probably not at his best, Joe at 37 is getting on a fair bit too. I saw no sudden deterioration in Hopkins - frankly its the best performance by someone his age I've ever seen. He is the modern day Archie Moore. Even at 43 Hopkins is world class and worthy of his top 10 p4p rating. Beating him is no small achievement. Had that been any other LHW in the world in there tonight instead of Joe Hops would have won.

Joe picked himself up off the deck and took the fight to the most awkward fighter of the last 15 years. He adapted and overcame Bernards style and tactics. That IS an important win.
LiamE is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #9
dwilson

vCash:

Hopkins was the biggest threat at Light Heavy. No other fighter comes close. JC beat him.#

Lacy was the biggest threat at SMW then JC humiliated him.

Kessler was claimed to be the real deal, then JC beat him.

Add to that all the other good wins over Calzaghes career and you get one of the greatest fighters ever to come from these shores and one of the best pound for pound on the planet. Just because you are head and shouldrs better than those around you does not mean you should not get full credit.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #10
kurt2006
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He going to fight Bruno next.
kurt2006 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #11
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Pavlik has his next 2-3 fights already set up. Lockett - Abraham - Duddy - Trinidiad

Calzaghe knows the fight cannot get made.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #12
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilson
Hopkins was the biggest threat at Light Heavy. No other fighter comes close. JC beat him.#

Lacy was the biggest threat at SMW then JC humiliated him.

Kessler was claimed to be the real deal, then JC beat him.

Add to that all the other good wins over Calzaghes career and you get one of the greatest fighters ever to come from these shores and one of the best pound for pound on the planet. Just because you are head and shouldrs better than those around you does not mean you should not get full credit.
Yup. Ill be back later to give more thoughts on the fight and what it means legacy wise for Calzaghe. Unfortunatly I have to go to work till 6.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #13
brown_bomber
BROWN BOMBER
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1597

what legacy apart from beating kessler, beating a 43 year old man and a little boy from the contender
brown_bomber is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 08:08 AM   #14
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Before this fight people were harping on about how Hopkins is amazing for his age, and is still one of the best fighters in the world. Now, all of a sudden he gets beat by Calzaghe and people start bringing the age thing into it, trying to detract from Joe's great win.
Who should Joe have fought instead of Hopkins? I was under the impression that he was the top guy at light heavy.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #15
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
Before this fight people were harping on about how Hopkins is amazing for his age, and is still one of the best fighters in the world. Now, all of a sudden he gets beat by Calzaghe and people start bringing the age thing into it, trying to detract from Joe's great win.
Who should Joe have fought instead of Hopkins? I was under the impression that he was the top guy at light heavy.
I'm not I just think Hopkins won. No doubt he'll go on to KO a past it Jones & we'll all be told he's the best British fighter ever & an ATG.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum