Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #31
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618
Default Re: Calzaghe to seal his legacy against another old fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olu G. Rotimi
Calzaghe was given a gift decision. He clearly lost the fight and he has limitations. I knew he would be put on the canvas and messed around by by B-HOP. The only mistake B-HOP was not to stop Calzaghe.
I got the number of a good psychiatrist...if you want it. I suggest you ring him, soon.
mattress is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #32
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Calzaghe is a great fighter with or without Hopkins' name or even his belt. but the fact he has secured both Bernard Hopkins' name on the record aswel as his Ring light heavyweight belt, cements it.

Seems like the Scot has a bit of a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Joe Calzaghe. Probably as he is a fighter whose achievments out weight anything of any Scottish fighter ever...
jc is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #33
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
Seems like the Scot has a bit of a chip on his shoulder when it comes to Joe Calzaghe...
nah. Its Ricky Hatton who chips on my shoulder.

Calzaghes a cracking fighter. I admitted that before the Hopkins fight. My posts are all there in my archive. Im a huge fan of Hopkins, so it took lot for me to admit Joe was going to win. However, im not letting all the triumphalism going on here & Joe talking about being a legend killer cloud my judgement.

It was a 43 year old Hopkins he beat, & even so he had a major struggle & many thought Hopkins won.
Now hes finishing his career off against Jones, a past it 40 year old. I just dont like it. Im allowed to not like things, arent I?

As for you welsh(Im assuming your welsh) enjoy Joes victory & shout it from the rooftops. & I mean that. If I was welsh, I would be doing the same.
Im not going to go easy on the Joe bandwagon jumpers though. I have said it till Im blue in the face, but apart from the welsh, Joe didnt have 5 fans on the whole of Eastside. I remember it well. Now hes winning the big fights though its a big Joe orgy, with former haters & mysterious noobs now sucking in all the glory like they own the place.

I hate Calzaghe bandwagon jumpers. Cos Im a loyal cunt who sticks to his guns. As for the Calzaghe doing better than any scot thing you threw in my face? Joes had a great career. I have no problem with that. If people think hes better than all the scots, fair enough! Joes a friend of Alex arthur, & Im hoping he comes to Scotland to cheer Alex on, that would give the arena a huge lift, & Arthur himself.
Just cos Im moaning about how Joes ending his career, doesnt mean I dont respect his achievements. I dont know why your bothering with me anyway, you should go back to the big Joe love-in thats going on in all the other threads.

Dont let little 'ol me spoil the party!
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #34
TheChamp1000
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
nah. Its Ricky Hatton who chips on my shoulder.

Calzaghes a cracking fighter. I admitted that before the Hopkins fight. My posts are all there in my archive. Im a huge fan of Hopkins, so it took lot for me to admit Joe was going to win. However, im not letting all the triumphalism going on here & Joe talking about being a legend killer cloud my judgement.

It was a 43 year old Hopkins he beat, & even so he had a major struggle & many thought Hopkins won.
Now hes finishing his career off against Jones, a past it 40 year old. I just dont like it. Im allowed to not like things, arent I?

As for you welsh(Im assuming your welsh) enjoy Joes victory & shout it from the rooftops. & I mean that. If I was welsh, I would be doing the same.
Im not going to go easy on the Joe bandwagon jumpers though. I have said it till Im blue in the face, but apart from the welsh, Joe didnt have 5 fans on the whole of Eastside. I remember it well. Now hes winning the big fights though its a big Joe orgy, with former haters & mysterious noobs now sucking in all the glory like they own the place.

I hate Calzaghe bandwagon jumpers. Cos Im a loyal cunt who sticks to his guns. As for the Calzaghe doing better than any scot thing you threw in my face? Joes had a great career. I have no problem with that. If people think hes better than all the scots, fair enough! Joes a friend of Alex arthur, & Im hoping he comes to Scotland to cheer Alex on, that would give the arena a huge lift, & Arthur himself.
Just cos Im moaning about how Joes ending his career, doesnt mean I dont respect his achievements. I dont know why your bothering with me anyway, you should go back to the big Joe love-in thats going on in all the other threads.

Dont let little 'ol me spoil the party!
I am not sure Dunky, Jones on your record is pretty good. We all know its not primes etc but look at b-hop rolling the names off his record in the press conference, trinidad, DLH, Tarver, winky, he fought jones and taylor also.
If Joes got a comprehensive win / ko against jones although both past primes it does a lot for his record.
Last 3 year Lacy, Kessler, Hopkins, Jones
if he added pavlik/dawson it would look pretty impressive from a guy just past his peak.

If he only has 1 left I would take jones with pavlik just behind. (remember if joe whoops pavlik then pavlik is overrated like lacy)
TheChamp1000 is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #35
JonOli
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamE
No he open admitted there wasn't enough money on offer if I remember correctly.

Why the hell would a guy that fough peak Benn twice duck anyone?
Yes Eubank did duck the big Americans at the time and is very candid about it.

As far as your Ben comment goes, as much as I like him, are you seriosly putting him in the same bracket as prime RJJ?

Benn lost to Malinga who Roy destroyed.
JonOli is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #36
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp1000
I am not sure Dunky, Jones on your record is pretty good. We all know its not primes etc but look at b-hop rolling the names off his record in the press conference, trinidad, DLH, Tarver, winky, he fought jones and taylor also.
If Joes got a comprehensive win / ko against jones although both past primes it does a lot for his record.
Last 3 year Lacy, Kessler, Hopkins, Jones
if he added pavlik/dawson it would look pretty impressive from a guy just past his peak.

If he only has 1 left I would take jones with pavlik just behind. (remember if joe whoops pavlik then pavlik is overrated like lacy)
Oh yeah, I like RJJ. fighters from my era when I was growing up as a boxing fan, its easy to get nostalgic & misty eyed when you think of these guys. I nearly did it with Hopkins, originally predicting he would beat JC until a friend of mine who knows more about the noble art than me told me that my weakness was letting my heart rule my head. So Im being colder & more analytical now, thats why I changed my prediction on ESB to a JC win when he fought Hopkins.

& thats why Im saying JC will beat RJJ. When fighters are past 40 years old, then you have to forget what these guys did in the past, & class them as shells of the fighters they once were. Well in my new book anyway.
When you have a proud prediction record like mine here, you have to make sure you keep it intact. & thats what Im doing now. ****** has engineered Calzaghes winding down so perfectly, I have to take my hat off to him.

Man, ****** even knew the result of the fight before it was announced! So its all been orchestrated nicely for Joes farewell fight. IMO.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Yes Eubank did duck the big Americans at the time and is very candid about it.

As far as your Ben comment goes, as much as I like him, are you seriosly putting him in the same bracket as prime RJJ?

Benn lost to Malinga who Roy destroyed.
That fight made me laugh, mainly because when Malinga got Ko'd he tried to make out it was a slip He was a proud man was Malinga, but that was taking things a bit too far!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum