Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419
Default Re: Where was the controversy?

i thought the coverage overall was a bit shit. Richie 'beleive you me' Woodhall cant score fights and Rawling cant commentate.
jc is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #17
Welly
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

I thought there was several rounds where the scoring could have gone either way. I had Hopkins winning 114-113 but, as I say, I felt it was a close fight.
Welly is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Hopkins won the fight I had him well ahead he demonstrated far better ring generalship and classier boxing, things that used to be major factors in scoring a fight. In the current climate where scoring a fight seems to be based on who attempts to throw more punches a quality fighter like Pernell Whitiker wouldn't have won half his title fights. Just like the Pacman-JMM fight the judges gave it to the person who was the ineffective aggressor. I gave Hopkins 3 of the first four including a 10-8 and only managed to give Calzaghe 2 of the last 6.

It was a hollow victory in a sense that 'the better man lost' and if 45-0 Calzaghe represents the upper echelons of the p4p list along with Pac-man then boxing really is in a sorry state. Thats two guys who have very little technique in p4p terms and can't throw their punches properly.

Watch a Cotto or Mayweather fight then watch these two and tell me who looks more like the old school greats.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #19
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Hopkins won the fight I had him well ahead he demonstrated far better ring generalship and classier boxing, things that used to be major factors in scoring a fight. In the current climate where scoring a fight seems to be based on who attempts to throw more punches a quality fighter like Pernell Whitiker wouldn't have won half his title fights. Just like the Pacman-JMM fight the judges gave it to the person who was the ineffective aggressor. I gave Hopkins 3 of the first four including a 10-8 and only managed to give Calzaghe 2 of the last 6.

It was a hollow victory in a sense that 'the better man lost' and if 45-0 Calzaghe represents the upper echelons of the p4p list along with Pac-man then boxing really is in a sorry state. Thats two guys who have very little technique and can't throw their punches properly.

Watch a Cotto or Mayweather fight then watch these two and tell me who looks more like the old school greats.
It was only a hollow victory in your eyes, most had Joe winning clearly

You know what I find amusing? The people that seem to have Hopkins winning are the very same people that picked him before the fight.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Joe did some very stupid things, but much of that was because Hopkins made it so difficult.

I'm really disappointed in Hopkins - I think the amount of holding he did was shocking.
Ok hit me with your best shot - what have you got for me!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
It was only a hollow victory in your eyes, most had Joe winning clearly

You know what I find amusing? The people that seem to have Hopkins winning are the very same people that picked him before the fight.
You know what I find amusing? The same people who picked Calzaghe before the fight are the same people who don't think its was a bad decision.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:09 AM   #22
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
You know what I find amusing? The same people who picked Calzaghe before the fight are the same people who don't think its was a bad decision.
All of the posters worth a shit thought the decision was fine, other than Adalaide Byrd's who forgot she was no longer in the kitchen when she tried that home cooking
Old 04-20-2008, 11:11 AM   #23
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
All of the posters worth a shit thought the decision was fine, other than Adalaide Byrd's who forgot she was no longer in the kitchen when she tried that home cooking
I'm sure Barry Morrison agrees with you.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #24
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
I'm sure Barry Morrison agrees with you.
The best posters on this site, Hopkins fans amongst them had Calzaghe winning by differing margins

In the Brit forum it seems you and dan-b are the only two that dispute it, the same two that were the most vocal Hopkins pickers beforehand. Hmmm...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #25
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Jeff, i reallt respect your opinion, but Bernard was horrific unless he landed the right. His constant grappling and refusal to engage tells you a very clear story - his capitualation when getting bullied was hilarious.

At best, I had Hopkins losing by two rounds.

Ultimately, I can't muster any sympathy for the guy. Joe was sloppy tonight - i was disappointed at the way he was throwing punches, especially when he looked so good behind the jab.
Fair enough. I accept it was a fight that was open to interpretation. I'm probably just a bit pissed at been on the wrong end of a tight decision. Fair play....
Old 04-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #26
dan-b

vCash:

I rewatched the fight & scored it 115-112 for Hopkins. I gave Hopkins rounds 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 10 & 12. 12 was hard to score along with 8 & 9. Lets say I give Calzaghe 12 thats still a win for Hopkins. 116-111 is a joke.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #27
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
The best posters on this site, Hopkins fans amongst them had Calzaghe winning by differing margins

In the Brit forum it seems you and dan-b are the only two that dispute it, the same two that were the most vocal Hopkins pickers beforehand. Hmmm...
Yes and the fight played out EXACTLY how I expected. Unfortunately the judges were as easily impressed by incorrect punching and poor pressure fighting as you!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #28
TFFP

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
I rewatched the fight & scored it 115-112 for Hopkins. I gave Hopkins rounds 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 10 & 12. 12 was hard to score along with 8 & 9. Lets say I give Calzaghe 12 thats still a win for Hopkins. 116-111 is a joke.
115-112...really

I can almost accept Hopkins by like a point, but that is absurd and I'm disapointed in you...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #29
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Dan- your right. Simple these guys don't know how to score a fight.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
115-112...really

I can almost accept Hopkins by like a point, but that is absurd and I'm disapointed in you...
You just said the decision was fine?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum