Old 04-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #46
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Tommy Hearns was not dehydrated or weight drained vs SRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
I think the stoppage may have been due to him not answering a succession of blows dickhead.
You're such a queen.

You get your panties stuffed up your cunt anytime someone questions you but yours are supposed to fly and be taken at face value.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #47
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
You're such a queen.

You get your panties stuffed up your cunt anytime someone questions you but yours are supposed to fly and be taken at face value.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2008, 06:15 PM   #48
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enquirer
Also folks,in no other fight in hearns long career did he have any history of making weight incorrectly.
Tommys stamina was pretty impressive in this fight,outpunching ray for the first five,getting a pasting in the 6th,then boxing and moving against ray from the seventh to the 12 then coping with barrages in the 13th and 14th....Can anyone show a fight of tommy when 'fully' hydrated when he showed more stamina,variety and skill than this?

Actually, he was just getting on his bicycle and we're not talking about that versatile a display. It was just a simple stick and move strategy.

Tommy showed better stamina and looked stronger in the Minchillo fight. There you could say that was a strong performance. It's evident that Tommy did not hit his peak until '84.

The only other fight I remember him in where he appeared drained was the Medal fight. Again, it was his last fight in the division as in the leonard fight.
redrooster is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #49
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I read Steward saying that Hearns overtrained. He claimed that he couldn't make Hearns take a rest. The body shots that leonard landed in the 6th (I think it was) won him that fight.

I think the reason people go on and on about it is because Leonard won with a great performance but the difference between the two is slight. Both great fighters.

Main difference look at leonard in round 2 in Duran I. He's all but out but he knows how to survive. He puts a lock on Duran and stops him from working him over. When Hearns gets hurt he just puts his hands up.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #50
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzard
I read Steward saying that Hearns overtrained. He claimed that he couldn't make Hearns take a rest. The body shots that leonard landed in the 6th (I think it was) won him that fight.

I think the reason people go on and on about it is because Leonard won with a great performance but the difference between the two is slight. Both great fighters.

Main difference look at leonard in round 2 in Duran I. He's all but out but he knows how to survive. He puts a lock on Duran and stops him from working him over. When Hearns gets hurt he just puts his hands up.
Arcel AND Manny said it, two of the most knowledgable players ever in the game.

I think they know what they're talking about.

Last edited by Dr Z; 05-31-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #51
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Arcel AND Manny said it, two of the most knowledgable players ever in the game.

I think they know what they're talking about.
Tommy Hearns said it! Who gives a shit what others say. I'm pretty sure the man knows himself better then those two.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 08:27 AM   #52
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tommy Hearn's is the most humble guy in the history of the game. He refused to take breathing medication because he felt it would give him an unfair advantage, for christs sake.

He's a throwback to a more courteous era.

Joe Louis said he could never beat Marciano.

Burely said he could never beat Robinson.

Is either 100% fact?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #53
Pat_Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'd believe Tommy Hearns about himself more than the other 2. And as gracious and humble as Hearns is, from what I've seen he isn't a huge fan of Leonard.
Pat_Lowe is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #54
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

It seems that some posters can kid people for so long but eventually the chaff will be separated from the wheat.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #55
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_Lowe
I'd believe Tommy Hearns about himself more than the other 2. And as gracious and humble as Hearns is, from what I've seen he isn't a huge fan of Leonard.

Yes, remember the rematch was going to be on (according to leonard) if Hearns just said he lost fair and square or something similar.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #56
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

You must be ****ing kidding me!!! Why is this thread still going on, it started by ending the discsussion. If Hearn's said he was in great shape and at his natural weight, then that's it. ****, this is stupid. Both were in great shape, but Leonard was slightly better on the night. Case closed.

All this bullshit about finding the hidden angles, jesus. It's irritating enough that so many have a hard time taking results on their face value, but when the guy himself goes on record and dispels all doubts about his shape then it's ****ing insane that people won't accept it.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #57
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
You must be ****ing kidding me!!! Why is this thread still going on, it started by ending the discsussion. If Hearn's said he was in great shape and at his natural weight, then that's it. ****, this is stupid. Both were in great shape, but Leonard was slightly better on the night. Case closed.

All this bullshit about finding the hidden angles, jesus. It's irritating enough that so many have a hard time taking results on their face value, but when the guy himself goes on record and dispels all doubts about his shape then it's ****ing insane that people won't accept it.

amen
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM   #58
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj

It's just that some people hate facing the facts, especially when it's came from the horses mouth. People have had this the weight issues and stamina problems soaked into their brains for years. And when they see this they would prefer to continue to believe what they have believed in the past.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 PM   #59
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
How am I a troll? I always have more to say than you. My analysis is always more in depth.

You can try to smear me all you like but when has Ray ever proven himself against a capable boxer outside of Hearns and please don't bring up the meek benitez.

No question Ray lost most of the rounds once Tommy went up on his toes and floundered badly. Since he's not exactly Julian Jackson on the attack, an honest observer must admit that he cannot hit a moving target and Norris in some ways resembles prime Camacho in that he would score quickly and then get out of range.

And if you have seen prime leonard, you would know that he takes his time about trying to find openings. This would be disasterous against the likes of Norris. Terry with his hand speed would score on leonard before he could even get set and defense wise, rolls and slides with punches or deflects them expertly with his gloves the way Hagler used to.

And there's NO WAY that Terry is going to stand around getting hit by combinations! That is every leonard fan's argument-that the combinations would destroy Terry. Even if they got in exchanges, Terry has the hand speed to match leonard's. And we know he has the ability to hurt leonard so he sure as hell isn't going to take too many chances punching with him especially since Terry can score so quickly and move out of range.

Even with the big edge he had in professional experience, the big wins over Hearns, Duran, Benitez, Kalule, Hagler, leonard still didn't have enough experience to deal with the vast and boundless talents of Norris. Nowhere near enough.
Bro in boxing ANYTHING happens (Tyson- Douglas).
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #60
SchweitzerMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1423

Yeah, this should end the debate. Hearns is my favourite fighter of all time but on that night Ray Leonard was just a little bit better. Tommy wasn't weight drained or dehydrated and had he been facing anyone else, even Duran, I think he would have won
SchweitzerMan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum