Old 07-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #46
guillermojm
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Paul Williams vs. Floyd Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_money
I wouldn't call it a lowering of his standard because williams gives anyone at 147 a good go. I would more say that williams inherits margo's position as biggest risk lowest reward fight for floyd.....so yes he will have to do some serious campaining to get pbf's attention.

Personally I think he posses the biggest risk to floyd....over and above all the fighters you mentioned.

I think by the time PW is in a position to get a fight with floyd he will be too old and want no part of him. too bad because i'd favour him over floyd right now.
lets be honest margo underestimated williams a mistake hatton,cotto, or cintron wont make

williams does not have the punch to slow pbf down, pbf will dance all over the ring until williams is dizzy then he will rip him apart....

hatton and cotto will be on him like white on rice and after 20 kidney shots he will be done

cintron will play it cool till he gets the open shot once he does williams will be gone easy as that.....

he put up a show last night against a boxer who didnt seem ready and i think he wasnt. the best bet for williams is to move up in weight at WW he has no future...
guillermojm is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #47
JAM Killer
Coming Through.
ESB Senior Member

Floyd would win. I don't think he would be a close bout either. He would win because he is better in every aspect of the sport.
JAM Killer is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #48
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
I've learned to always predict Mayweather to win. When you don't give a shit about pleasing the fans, your only concern is winning on points. Mayweather has no other concerns.
I'm going to have to completely disagree with this assesment. Floyd has 24 KO's in 38 fights. You won't see that type of KO percentage out of a guy just looking to win on points. I'll admit that Floyd didn't try very hard to KO DLH or Baldomir(both are much bigger guys with good chins). However, he was kickin the piss out of Judah and may have stopped him until Zab decided to cheat and set off a riot that stopped the fight for 10 minutes. Floyd KO'd his three previous opponents before Judah. Fighters like Camacho, Pep, and now Malignaggi are guys who weren't too concerned with KO's.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #49
JohnXVI
Journeyman

vCash: 384

I think Paul has a better chance than it appears. He'll be really hungry for that one.
JohnXVI is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM   #50
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermojm
lets be honest margo underestimated williams a mistake hatton,cotto, or cintron wont make

williams does not have the punch to slow pbf down, pbf will dance all over the ring until williams is dizzy then he will rip him apart....

hatton and cotto will be on him like white on rice and after 20 kidney shots he will be done

cintron will play it cool till he gets the open shot once he does williams will be gone easy as that.....

he put up a show last night against a boxer who didnt seem ready and i think he wasnt. the best bet for williams is to move up in weight at WW he has no future...
Don't think Hatton beats paul but I would agree that cotton pounds this dude into submission and cintron certainly has a pretty good change of beating his ass as well. but this doesn't mean that PBF would beat him. Thats how styles make fights. Volume punchers will always have problems with guys that throw big shots. Therefore Cotto would probably break this guy down. Floyd on the other hand doesn't throw big shots. And I don;t think he moves well enough to keep pw of him. Its not a matter of PBF getting hurt its more a matter of him being out worked by a bigger guy to a point where he isn't affective enough to win rounds.

Would laugh my ass off if PW and hatton ever fought though. The tallest lankiest guy in boxing vs the shortest stockiest. pure comedy.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 09:12 PM   #51
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 2036

Hmmm although Williams does have a substantial sized advantage and high punch output but I dont think it's enogh to beat Floyd.

PBF's defense would limit PWs punching and make him miss a lot leaving room for PBF to counter.

I'd say that Mayweather takes this one. But the fight will be close enough that the huggers will say it was a robbery.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #52
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

*sigh*

Shane Mosley beats Collazo and suddenly Mosley is the man who can beat Floyd Mayweather.

Cotto beats Judah and suddenly Cotto is the man who can beat Floyd Mayweather.

Hatton beats Castillo and suddenly Hatton is the man who can beat Floyd Mayweather.

Now, Williams beats Margarito and it is Williams that can beat Floyd Mayweather.

Mayweather beats Williams. Mayweather can punch from all different angles, shooting in for straight right leads, left hook leads, uppercut leads. Floyd deflects and dodges punches all night long, even against fighters with big punch outputs. Floyd is fast and extremely accurate. Floyd can go to the head or the body and he keeps touching you while never putting himself in danger.

I don't care how well anyone says Williams stacks up against Mayweather. I understand that styles make fights yadda yadda yadda but the truth of the matter is I don't bet against Floyd Mayweather because it is a sucker's bet. Floyd Mayweather finds a way to win. Against Castillo who swarmed him he found a way to win. Against Judah who was faster than him he found a way to win. Against DLH who was bigger and stronger than him he found a way to win.

So, what, Williams is bigger and longer and throws more punches than Floyd?

Floyd will find a way to win.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 PM   #53
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Floyd easily.

yup educate them Sweet Pea
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #54
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2333

yup educate them Sweet Pea
Someone needs to educate you. I would favor Floyd, but it would NOT be an easy win.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:15 PM   #55
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut
Someone needs to educate you. I would favor Floyd, but it would NOT be an easy win.
Yeah we will see, Williams is a decent fighter dont get me wrong. But he makes a lot of mistakes, and Floyd would expose them easily
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #56
psychopath
D' "X" Factor
East Side VIP

Location: In your . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WORST Nightmare
vCash: 2065

Williams doesn't stand a chance to win against Floyd.

Floyd is just too experienced and smart for him. Floyd is the kind of fighter who can make Williams look amateur in the ring.
psychopath is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #57
JMotrain
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp000109
I see this as a replay of Mayweather-Corrales.
Since when did Corrales throw over 1000 punches a fight? And Williams will not be weight drained.
JMotrain is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 PM   #58
JMotrain
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The punch output doesn't matter when you're facing someone with the footwork and movement that Floyd has. Unless he wants to just swing anyway and miss and look like a fool, Paul will be picking his shots more selectively, and likely out-pointed quite fairly.
Since when is Mayweather a great inside fighter? Since when is Mayweather one to come forward and trade shots? He'd be at a physical disadvantage in both height and reach, and he'd have to get inside of Williams jab and outwork Williams. Williams pressure alone can win him the fight since Mayweather wouldn't throw 1/3 of the punches that Williams will. It's a bad matchup for Mayweather. He's better off fighting Hatton or Mosley.
JMotrain is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 PM   #59
JMotrain
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Williams comes in to pressure, Mayweather counter-punches and moves, I'd say it works just fine to his style. And Mayweather has proved on more than one occasion that he is a very good inside fighter and excellent in the pocket. Then again, what did any of my post have to do with fighting on the inside?
Because Floyd would have to get inside to win. He's not going to beat Williams on the outside. If Williams fights tall, and Mayweather does his little retreat to the ropes, as long as Williams fights at a distance, Floyd will not be able to counter him effectively at all. Hearns-Duran all over again (except Williams still isn't Hearns in terms of power or technique). Floyd would survive the fight on his feet, but I think he would drop a decision.
JMotrain is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:51 PM   #60
JMotrain
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Floyd would most certainly win an outside fight. Just because Williams is taller FLoyd loses? Floyd is one of the best outside fighters in the game, nearly impossible to beat in the middle of the ring. As I said, WIlliams isn't a great boxer, he likes to bang inside. He was able to use his height and reach effectively against a sloppy brawler like Margo, but not Floyd. Floyd's quickness and skill win the boxing match with Williams, and his movement allows him to keep it a boxing match. He would tag Williams clean all night.
You can't be serious?

Floyd doesn't use his speed for his defense, he rolls his shoulder and blocks shotss with his gloves. I think Williams would outhustle him and unless Floyd is willing to walk though Williams bombs and fight him in close, he'd lose a decision.
JMotrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum