Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Stone_Roberto
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default RJJ not in any shape to face top competition

He still has power and accuracy and maybe even a chin. But he doesn't have the stamina or energy to throw enough leather to win dominant decisions or avoid being TKO'ed by top light heavyweights.

Had he pursued Hanshaw further he would have gotten the KO. But since he didn't put him away and I saw too many flashbacks to RJJ-Glen Johnson with Roy doing NOTHING or little on the ropes and making no attempt to get off them, I say one more with Tito and then retire forever.
Stone_Roberto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
Shpion
IDF
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: RJJ not in any shape to face top competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Roberto
He still has power and accuracy and maybe even a chin. But he doesn't have the stamina or energy to throw enough leather to win dominant decisions or avoid being TKO'ed by top light heavyweights.

Had he pursued Hanshaw further he would have gotten the KO. But since he didn't put him away and I saw too many flashbacks to RJJ-Glen Johnson with Roy doing NOTHING or little on the ropes and making no attempt to get off them, I say one more with Tito and then retire forever.
"Maybe even chin" Did he do a cosmetic surgery or something?
Shpion is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

PLEASE let his ego get big enough to fight B-Hop again. Please, boxing gods.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
Snakefist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpion
"Maybe even chin" Did he do a cosmetic surgery or something?

He never had a bad chin..... The first fight with Tarver is an example of it and although John Ruiz is an annoying heavy wieght he does posess power in his right rands and jones ate them up, was only stunned by the first one.
Snakefist is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
Fab2333
Needs to Get It 2Gether
ESB Addict

vCash: 623

I think RJ did rather well for what shape he came in. He fought well on the inside, and blocked most of Hanshaws shots, most of them weren really landing. I do agree that facing top opposition I dont kno about. B/c for Roy's style he does need his legs, and he doesnt seem to want to move around anymore. He showed that he stil has speed and power, but he's lackin in footspeed, and that is killing him. He cant move away from the ropes, opponents keep trapping him there. I dont kno RJ is my favorite fighter, but he wasnt impressive as i thought he was going to be. All though i thought he did well, when faced wit the pressure
Fab2333 is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 05:07 AM   #6
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Roy Jones is just another old fighter trying to hang on to past glory.

He's a shadow of himself now.....I'm not even a fan of his, but it wont bring me any happiness of satisfaction to see a fighter who was once brilliantly fast and powerful, get taken apart limb from limb and KTFO similar to what Glenn Johnson did to him.

Most point to his KO loss to Tarver to Jones slide and to what he has now become.
.....but I thought you could stick a fork in him in the first Tarver fight, where he could'nt even fight a half a round without going to the ropes, much less a full round.

Roy Jones Jr. is toast!
divac is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
bhwbj
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Roy has always been my favorite fighter to watch, but he's lost a LOT. For one, and this is the main thing, his legs are GONE. Jones moves around as if he's walking through quicksand. His quick feet and bouncy legs are COMPLETELY GONE! He still has fast hands, but he's got the footspeed of micky ward. Also, his stamina is nothing compared to what it used to be.

All Jones can do now is fight with his back to the ropes and try to work quick countershots on the inside. I hope Jones retires, but I see another BRUTAL loss in his future when he steps his comp up.
bhwbj is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 AM   #8
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhwbj
Roy has always been my favorite fighter to watch, but he's lost a LOT. For one, and this is the main thing, his legs are GONE. Jones moves around as if he's walking through quicksand. His quick feet and bouncy legs are COMPLETELY GONE! He still has fast hands, but he's got the footspeed of micky ward. Also, his stamina is nothing compared to what it used to be.

All Jones can do now is fight with his back to the ropes and try to work quick countershots on the inside. I hope Jones retires, but I see another BRUTAL loss in his future when he steps his comp up.
Legs are the first thing that a fighter loses, so you're absolutely correct.

An aging fighter loses his ability to manuever and glide the ring as he once did.

Age takes it's toll on the legs the most, thats the one part of the body that carries you, and the wear and tear that it takes during the years takes it's damn toll.
This is coming from someone who's about to turn 40, I damn know!
divac is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 AM   #9
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jones has a good win now to retire with. Let's hope he apreciates that gift and accepts it without convulsion.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #10
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

It has been just over a year and a half since Jones last faced Tarver, and the effects of that time are really showing. He has lost a lot since that fight. In the 3rd Tarver fight, Jones didn't look shot physically, he looked shot mentally. I really thought he was going the take tarver out when he took control of the middle rounds of that fight. Then Jones just stopped fighting.

Last night, Jones showed hand speed. That was about it. He still lets his opponent back him to ropes with out much problem. I will say he did fight off the ropes better than any of his past several outings, but I really don't know how good Hanshaw is.

Jones can't win by being simply a great athlete anymore. Well, he did last night, but I don't see him going far at this stage.

If he were willing to learn to fight like an older man, then maybe he could still do something. I just have a hard time picturing him doing that.

His ego is still in place. I like how he claimed he didn't knock Hanshaw out because he needed rounds. It was in the 11th that he dropped him. I guess he needed the extra 3 minutes to lose a little rust. He also kept teaching Hanshaw his lessons. That was the other reason he gave for not finishing him. He said he wanted to help him, by letting him learn against him in the ring.

I still have to say that I thought Jones still looked very much like a threat in the division when he lost to Tarver in their 3rd fight. Last night he looked the least threatening I have ever seen him, and that was in a victorious performance.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #11
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

And certain nut swingers were saying he could beat JC
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #12
dwilson

vCash:

Rjj could stiil do a number at light heavey if he fights with intelligance and not bravado. Henshaw was decent opposition and there is not too much going on at the weight. He should retire though.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Danny Ocean
My nAmE IS MoNeY
ESB Senior Member

jones would never ever ever ever ever ever make 168 or anythin close to that to fight trinidad
Danny Ocean is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #14
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He's not close to what he was but he still shows flashes of what he was.
Roy's (effective) handspeed is still second to none as shown by the lightning fast straight left-uppercut combo which preceeded the knockdown tonight.
Plenty of so-called quick handed fighters throw fast volleys of punches which look great but miss or land on gloves but Roy still can land his shots flush and clean.
Whilst he still has this he can still trouble quite a few fighters out there but against the best guys well....let's just say he'd still bother Hopkins but I don't necessarily want to see it happen.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2007, 10:09 AM   #15
CUFreeze
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

No Roy is definitely not what he used to be but no one is at 38. Roy showed a lot last night. He would have dominated that kid but the legs are just not there like they used to be. he was always prone to getting caught on the ropes but he usually got off of them most of the time. nowdays he stays on the ropes. when he is in the middle of the ring though i think he could fight anyone out there today.
CUFreeze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum