Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #16
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
They did try and get Hopkins as we all know and Roy has been moving up and down in weight doing his own thing for years. If Calzaghe was in the business of ducking people to maintain his status as no.1 he would never have fought Kessler.
Roy's been a light heavyweight from 1997-present, except for ONE heavyweight fight in 2003. "Moving up and down in weight doing his own thing for years" is incorrect.

Kessler is not Roy Jones, Kessler has never been a p4p fighter, let alone #1 p4p for years. Not comparable.

Last edited by OLD FOGEY; 05-31-2007 at 02:12 PM.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2008, 07:47 AM   #17
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 1000
Question Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
A Hatton win over Witter would redeem some of the shine his battering at the hands of Floyd took off his career though.

I take it you pick Witter in such a contest.

Regarding Calzaghe's lack of certain names on his record I think it's slightly unfair to use these fights not happening to discredit Joe. They did try and get Hopkins as we all know and Roy has been moving up and down in weight doing his own thing for years. If Calzaghe was in the business of ducking people to maintain his status as no.1 he would never have fought Kessler.
Yes I do but I do acknowledge that Hatton is not without hope. Witter is of course somewhat lazy in the ring and there is little doubt that Hatton could exploit this.

Agree with the 2nd part of your post. Ive went into some depth in the past about the cirumstances surrounding Calzaghes failure to fight Hopkins, Jones, Ottke and DM. Ive been balanced about it too and backed it up, but old sleaze nation here just can't accept any points what so ever in this respect, twisting and spinning everything to suit his agenda.

According to him, because Ottke frequently pretended not to know of Calzaghe existence, JC should have went to Germany fought any contender knocked on his door called him out and made concessions to fight in Germany

The guy is a nonsensical hater. He ought to be ignored.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #18
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer
Yes I do but I do acknowledge that Hatton is not without hope. Witter is of course somewhat lazy in the ring and there is little doubt that Hatton could exploit this.

Agree with the 2nd part of your post. Ive went into some depth in the past about the cirumstances surrounding Calzaghes failure to fight Hopkins, Jones, Ottke and DM. Ive been balanced about it too and backed it up, but old sleaze nation here just can't accept any points what so ever in this respect, twisting and spinning everything to suit his agenda.

According to him, because Ottke frequently pretended not to know of Calzaghe existence, JC should have went to Germany fought any contender knocked on his door called him out and made concessions to fight in Germany

The guy is a nonsensical hater. He ought to be ignored.
Getting a fight with Ottke and beating him would have been an impressive win due to the adversity it would have taken to achieve it. But Calzaghe wants everything and everyone to come to him, I know.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Getting a fight with Ottke and beating him would have been an impressive win due to the adversity it would have taken to achieve it. But Calzaghe wants everything and everyone to come to him, I know.


Have you ever heard of coming and going? Jesus ****ing Christ it was plain as day that Ottke wanted no part of JC but just do suit your hate filled agenda you spew some of the most biased nonsensical bullshit ever heard.

JC went to America actually beat the reigning LHW champion in his own back yard - deal with it.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:55 AM   #20
Tony Harrison
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Crunch, Romford
Posts: 346
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Roy's been a light heavyweight from 1997-present, except for ONE heavyweight fight in 2003. "Moving up and down in weight doing his own thing for years" is incorrect.

Kessler is not Roy Jones, Kessler has never been a p4p fighter, let alone #1 p4p for years. Not comparable.
So you believe Calzaghe should have gone up to LH years ago?

Indeed Kessler is not Roy Jones but he is a big dangerous mutha****a who many predicted had the beating of Calzaghe.

Ottke was a wanker who lost to Reid. After that debacle he deserves to fade into obscurity.
Tony Harrison is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #21
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer


Have you ever heard of coming and going? Jesus ****ing Christ it was plain as day that Ottke wanted no part of JC but just do suit your hate filled agenda you spew some of the most biased nonsensical bullshit ever heard.

JC went to America actually beat the reigning LHW champion in his own back yard - deal with it.
I just wanted to see him fight a great fighter at some point for the last 10 years. If you're happy with a 43 year old version of Bernard Hopkins, then you're happy so shut up.

I'm not. So I'm talking about it.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #22
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
So you believe Calzaghe should have gone up to LH years ago?

Indeed Kessler is not Roy Jones but he is a big dangerous mutha****a who many predicted had the beating of Calzaghe.

Ottke was a wanker who lost to Reid. After that debacle he deserves to fade into obscurity.
The spinsters would have said had Calzaghe gone up when he said he was in 2004 that he was doing it because Jones had recently been defeated and he was fleeing the division due to the twin threats of the up coming Lacy and Kessler.

Hell thats what they were saying on here back then. You just can't win with these guys, they refuse to give JC any credit.

This individual is the worst however.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #23
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
So you believe Calzaghe should have gone up to LH years ago?

Indeed Kessler is not Roy Jones but he is a big dangerous mutha****a who many predicted had the beating of Calzaghe.

Ottke was a wanker who lost to Reid. After that debacle he deserves to fade into obscurity.
I believe he should have fought at light hevyweight, at least once. There was ZERO percent chance of Roy Jones at his peak defending his light heavyweight titles against a super middleweight who didn't have a name in America. He NEVER defended against anyone who had never fought at the weight.

Just make the fight a possibility, that's not too hard is it.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #24
Tony Harrison
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: The Crunch, Romford
Posts: 346
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
I believe he should have fought at light hevyweight, at least once. There was ZERO percent chance of Roy Jones at his peak defending his light heavyweight titles against a super middleweight who didn't have a name in America. He NEVER defended against anyone who had never fought at the weight.

Just make the fight a possibility, that's not too hard is it.
I think you're being slightly unreasonable on this one. The fact remains they tried to get Nard and failed by no fault of Calzaghe or ******.

True they didn't drop everything and go to America to fight on undercards in the vain hope Roy Jones might grant them their wish.
Tony Harrison is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 AM   #25
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison
I think you're being slightly unreasonable on this one. The fact remains they tried to get Nard and failed by no fault of Calzaghe or ******.

True they didn't drop everything and go to America to fight on undercards in the vain hope Roy Jones might grant them their wish.
Hopkins was middleweight champion, for that fight to be made he would have had to leave his own division and fight a guy in Britain who had no name in America.
This was at a time when Calzaghe wasn't even the super middleweight champion, him and Ottke were belt holders with no recognised #1.
And ****** offered 1 million, I don't see how a fighter who had the reputation of Bernard would ever have accepted a fight like that, with nothing to gain.

Anyway, I've said mine, I don't want to go-on about it in another thread. Most of you are happy with what he did, I'm not.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #26
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
He NEVER defended against anyone who had never fought at the weight.
Otis Grant operrated at MIDDLEWEIGHT. Good argument up until then.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Otis Grant operrated at MIDDLEWEIGHT. Good argument up until then.
Good spot, 1 out of 14 then.

Last edited by PH|LLA; 05-31-2007 at 04:00 PM.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #28
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Good spot, 1 out of 14 then.
Quite a significant one though Sleaze, Otis wasn't really held in particually high regard and was a non-puncher. Strange match to make really. IMO Calzaghe was happy making WBO defences against average fighters and Jones was happy collecting belts of mediocre champions and defending against mediocre fighters. Both were at fault for the fight not happening, but the sport was very different back then. A lot of it has to do with De La Hoya and Arum chasing the best fighters in each division to make millions on PPV. Before Oscar started beating everyone, champions were quite happy to sit on the titles defending against randoms- while never pursuing the best guys. Look at the welterweights circa 2000. Trinidad 32-0 (26ko's), Quartey 33-0 (28ko's) and Whitiker 38-1-1 (16ko's) all in the same division, all in the top ten p4p and all avoiding each other defending against the likes of Oba Carr. Boxing has changed a lot- thank god... Thank Oscar and UFC for that.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #29
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Quite a significant one though Sleaze, Otis wasn't really held in particually high regard and was a non-puncher. Strange match to make really. IMO Calzaghe was happy making WBO defences against average fighters and Jones was happy collecting belts of mediocre champions and defending against mediocre fighters. Both were at fault for the fight not happening, but the sport was very different back then. A lot of it has to do with De La Hoya and Arum chasing the best fighters in each division to make millions on PPV. Before Oscar started beating everyone, champions were quite happy to sit on the titles defending against randoms- while never pursuing the best guys. Look at the welterweights circa 2000. Trinidad 32-0 (26ko's), Quartey 33-0 (28ko's) and Whitiker 38-1-1 (16ko's) all in the same division, all in the top ten p4p and all avoiding each other defending against the likes of Oba Carr. Boxing has changed a lot- thank god... Thank Oscar and UFC for that.
Good post Jeff, although I obviously don't fully agree with the assertion that all Calzaghe did was beat WBO bums. To me, his career only really stagnated from 2003 to 2005 where he had a whole host of problems relating to hand injuries divorce etc. Now this does not fully excuse the poor choice of opponent during this time span, but nonsensical haters that refuse to take into account the fact that he has beaten solid competition in the early years, the fact that he has taken on and beaten good competition from 2006 and the fact that the big fights that eluded from 2001 to 2006, that this wasn't totally his fault now they annoy me.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:45 AM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,455
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hatton's whipping by PBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatboxer
Good post Jeff, although I obviously don't fully agree with the assertion that all Calzaghe did was beat WBO bums. To me, his career only really stagnated from 2003 to 2005 where he had a whole host of problems relating to hand injuries divorce etc. Now this does not fully excuse the poor choice of opponent during this time span, but nonsensical haters that refuse to take into account the fact that he has beaten solid competition in the early years, the fact that he has taken on and beaten good competition from 2006 and the fact that the big fights that eluded from 2001 to 2006, that this wasn't totally his fault now they annoy me.
Once again your probably right- He did beat some good fighters but never any elite guys but as you say that may have been through no fault of his own.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013