Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 AM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Fear in boxing...

From another thread, Dempsey on Langford...

The Hell I feared no man. There was one man, he was even smaller than I, I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.”

Langford himself voiced his similar feelings over Jeffries.

I'm curious as to what other instances there are of a boxer being terrified of another, and voicing it in some way.

And how much a part did that fear play into the fights outcome, if there was one?

Foreman was seemingly afraid of Lewis after his demolition of Ruddock.

Max Baer voiced something like fear after his fight with Louis.

In a Frank Bruno special he talks about being afraid of Tyson. Explains the holding. "He beat me like my father used to".
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
joe33

vCash:
Default Re: Fear in boxing...

Patterson against liston maybe ? though he took him on twice,i think it was a case of dead man walking in both bouts,he kind of knew he had little chance.The majority of tysons early fights id say would be the same.I also believe in a early joe louis title fight,they had to get the guy out of the locked toliet to fight him,he had panicked and locked himself in LOL.Golotta would be another good one,vs lewis and again tyson.

Last edited by Cookie; 03-09-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:22 AM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Well, the Dempsey thing is interesting - he basically was afraid of most of the guys he was fighting but it either seemed to help him, or fail to affect him. A human being can get used to working under the yolk of fear and I suspect that this was the case with Dempsey, that all those fights (some of them loses) that he had as Kid Blackie made him invulnerable to fear in a way most people just weren't. And fear can be a great motivator. In his fight with Willard, Dempsey was afraid of being killed whereas Willard was supposedly only afraid of the same thing - that he might kill Dempsey. And we all know what happened in that one.

Spinks seemed absolutley terrified against Tyson. Just looked like he froze up.

I read that Jeffries was terrified of Johnsn. He'd been told that Johnson would be taking a dive and found out just before the fight that this was not the case. His wife claimed that Jeffries couldn't sleep that night and spent the twilight hours shivering by the window.

Ali was terrified of Liston in the first fight. Seemed able to channel it though.

Howard Eastman looked thouroughly imtimidated to me against Hopkins. Again, this was a fighter who just seized up and couldn't work properly. Hopkins, in contrast to Tyson, was quite happy to help the fear strangle his man rahter than chase the KO.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 03:00 AM   #4
Silver
The Champ is Here
ESB Addict

foreman said he was afraid of joe frazier when they fought the first time. he dealt with it well.
Silver is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

SRL always said the day he went in the ring without fear was the day he had not given his opponent due respect. He said fear was part of every single fight for him, and he was glad for it. Great fighters can turn fear into a very positive influence.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
SRL always said the day he went in the ring without fear was the day he had not given his opponent due respect. He said fear was part of every single fight for him, and he was glad for it. Great fighters can turn fear into a very positive influence.

I agree.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

"Rapid gum-chewing Ollie Pecord was the referee. It was his first championship fight and he was agitated. Funny, it wa my first, and I wasn't agitated-I was downright scared." "Willard and I were called to the center of the ring to pose for pictures. I saw Ollie Pecord's lips moving and couldn't hear or understand a word he was saying. All I knew was that a towering Willard was standing in front of me." "...something my father had once said flashed through my brain: 'Son, when you find stumbling blocks in your way, use 'em boy-as stepping stones. If you can't go over 'em, around 'em, or under 'em, then goddamnit boy, go through 'em!" "When Willard raised his massive arms over his head, a kind of desperation overcame me and I knew I would have to use every ounce of strength I had-and then some. Not wanting anyone to suspect these emotions, I scowled fiercely and bared my teeth." "Once our gloves were slipped on, we stepped forward to shake hands. As Willard moved away I realized I wasn't just fighting for a title, I was fighting for my life." - Jack Dempsey
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
From another thread, Dempsey on Langford...

The Hell I feared no man. There was one man, he was even smaller than I, I wouldn’t fight because I knew he would flatten me. I was afraid of Sam Langford.”

Langford himself voiced his similar feelings over Jeffries.

I'm curious as to what other instances there are of a boxer being terrified of another, and voicing it in some way.

And how much a part did that fear play into the fights outcome, if there was one?

Foreman was seemingly afraid of Lewis after his demolition of Ruddock.

Max Baer voiced something like fear after his fight with Louis.

In a Frank Bruno special he talks about being afraid of Tyson. Explains the holding. "He beat me like my father used to".
All fighters feel fear it is just that some handel it better than others. Some go to peices while some make it work to their advantage.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Not sure if Jeff was afraid of Johnson. There was a LOT of weight on Jeff's shoulders for the fight. People made it seem to Jeff, that the whole White Race living on would depend on his victory or lost.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
thunder06
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Not sure if Jeff was afraid of Johnson. There was a LOT of weight on Jeff's shoulders for the fight. People made it seem to Jeff, that the whole White Race living on would depend on his victory or lost.
but didnt johnson know that if he lost their would be mass lynchings of the Black Race in celebration of the "white victory"?
thunder06 is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

There WERE MASS lynchings because Jeff Lost.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
karmazon
impossible is a dare

I define fear as standing across the ring from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early.
Max Baer
karmazon is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

Ali was afraid of Sonny Liston before the first fight.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
All fighters feel fear it is just that some handel it better than others. Some go to peices while some make it work to their advantage.
Any instances come to mind for you, janitor?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 06:22 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcfall
Ali was afraid of Sonny Liston before the first fight.
I think everyone who ever fought Liston, inside or outside the ring was afraid of him.

The exception may be Ali II.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum