Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #46
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Iran Barkley - Underrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL

Goddamn right he was..... Mamby only got KO'd like once or maybe twice, and by that time he was already an old fart....

MR.BILL
Once. Only once. He was stopped on his feet early in a fight by the ref stepping in, and that's when Mamby was 50 something I believe. He wasn't even hurt as far as I know.

Similar to LaPorte's one and only stoppage.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #47
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Once. Only once. He was stopped on his feet early in a fight by the ref stepping in, and that's when Mamby was 50 something I believe. He wasn't even hurt as far as I know.

Similar to LaPorte's one and only stoppage.

Juan LaPorte does NOT get my vote into the Hall.......... LaPorte had a punch and a chin, but his skills stunk.... LaPorte always fell short when faced against the elite 126 to 130 pounders.... I used to get pissed when LaPorte would lay on the ropes and make "Ear-Muffs" while trying to avoid punches coming in.... LaPorte was lazy who relied on his right cross too much..... He was game, but not great....

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #48
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Getting beat and dropped by a near 38 yearold former Lightweight puts you in perspective I think.Being kod in one by Benn didnt help either . Coetzee was 42 had been kod in 1 round 11 years earlier by Bruno, retired for 7 years ,come back retired again for 2 years and had 2 fights in 4 years he scaled 253 for the Barkley fight over 30 lbs over his best weight .I saw Coetzee get kod by Bruno 11 years earlier he was a shot fighter then.Barkley was a brave guy with real heart but lets not make out he was a Charley Burley figure.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #49
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL
Juan LaPorte does NOT get my vote into the Hall.......... LaPorte had a punch and a chin, but his skills stunk.... LaPorte always fell short when faced against the elite 126 to 130 pounders.... I used to get pissed when LaPorte would lay on the ropes and make "Ear-Muffs" while trying to avoid punches coming in.... LaPorte was lazy who relied on his right cross too much..... He was game, but not great....

MR.BILL
I wasn't comparing the two there, Bill.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #50
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I wasn't comparing the two there, Bill.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #51
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
What makes you rank him so highly there?
Hearns knocked out Cueves and beat Weston and Bruce Curry at the weight. Defended against Randy Shields, The man was awesome.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2008, 08:25 AM   #52
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Barkley was a heck of a fighter, but he was wrong to think because he beat Hearns that he was the Hearns caliber of fighter. The fights with Hearns show us what happens when a style of a good fighter who punches hard fits the style of a great fighter perfectly to win two times. Proof that Iran had a style fit for Hearns is that Hearns beats Virgil Hill who is 24-5 in title fights on a UD in 1991, and then loses to Barkley in his next fight 9 months later, and Iran had a record of 3-6 in title fights. Virgil was so much better. Barkley's style was really bad for Hearns. Hill was miles ahead of Barkley in quality. Like I said Hill 24-5 to 3-6 title fights.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #53
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Sledge View Post
Had SRL and Hearns fought at 154, Hearns probably would have won.
I agree with this but think it says more about Hearns ability to carry the extra weight. 147 was clearly Leonard's best weight. I think Hearns was destructive at both 147 and 154 but his physical advantages were that much more magnified at 147.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #54
sas6789
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra33 View Post
I respect Barkley but he was vastly overated.He got a gift decision against Mike Tinley and almost lost to Sanderline Williams.
His claim to fame was his wins over Hearns and thats it.And the second win over Hearns wasn't that big a deal.Heans was done and couldn't even move or fight for an extended period of time.
I enjoyed Barkley but he gets more and more overrated as the years go by.
So did Nigel Benn
sas6789 is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #55
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas6789 View Post
So did Nigel Benn
everybody almost lost to sanderline

edit:jesus 2008. man i sounded like such a geek
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #56
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

TS himself won't put him in top 20 MW or top 150 P4P , so how does it answer d question ?
I rank him close to Nunn (in P4P) , Kalambay , Robbi Sims , Nigel Benn , Michael Watson , Frankie Liles , Charles Williams , Merqui Sosa and Thomas Hearns . All 4 obvious reasons . Do I underrate him , or overrate him ?
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #57
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Barkley was a heck of a fighter, but he was wrong to think because he beat Hearns that he was the Hearns caliber of fighter. The fights with Hearns show us what happens when a style of a good fighter who punches hard fits the style of a great fighter perfectly to win two times. Proof that Iran had a style fit for Hearns is that Hearns beats Virgil Hill who is 24-5 in title fights on a UD in 1991, and then loses to Barkley in his next fight 9 months later, and Iran had a record of 3-6 in title fights. Virgil was so much better. Barkley's style was really bad for Hearns. Hill was miles ahead of Barkley in quality. Like I said Hill 24-5 to 3-6 title fights.
Hill was not better than Barkley .
A shot and drained Barkley lasted vs prime Toney more than what a prime Hill lasted vs Roid Jones .
Hearns who fought both can be mentioned too , but so could Maske , but then Hill was Maske's age , Barkley was older and much shotter when he fought him .
And Hill was somewhat bigger than Barkley .
Old 09-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #58
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
TS himself won't put him in top 20 MW or top 150 P4P , so how does it answer d question ?
I rank him close to Nunn (in P4P) , Kalambay , Robbi Sims , Nigel Benn , Michael Watson , Frankie Liles , Charles Williams , Merqui Sosa and Thomas Hearns . All 4 obvious reasons . Do I underrate him , or overrate him ?
Your overrate him, he should be below Kalambay, Nunn and Benn because they proved themselves better in the ring and have better legacies.

He's a big, tough, conditioned hard hitting brawler that had a past prime Hearns number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Hill was not better than Barkley .
A shot and drained Barkley lasted vs prime Toney more than what a prime Hill lasted vs Roid Jones .
Hearns who fought both can be mentioned too , but so could Maske , but then Hill was Maske's age , Barkley was older and much shotter when he fought him .
And Hill was somewhat bigger than Barkley .
Hill was a better technical boxer than Barkley. Lasting against Toney is allot easier than lasting against Jones. Jones knocked out fighters in 1-2 rounds who went 12 hard rounds with Toney
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #59
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Your overrate him, he should be below Kalambay, Nunn and Benn because they proved themselves better in the ring and have better legacies.

He's a big, tough, conditioned hard hitting brawler that had a past prime Hearns number.
Barkley was drained vs Benn and both shot and drained vs Toney , as I already mentioned . I think it helps 2 explain 2 of his more humiliating losses , he was drained vs. Duran as well , so I explained 3 .
Barkley also did much better vs. Nunn than Kalambay did , and he too was older than Nunn . Kalambay also proved his competitiveness post Nunn , as well as the similarly aged McCallum whom was world class into his 30s , Kalambay , especially considering his style , was not that much shot vs. Nunn . It could have always happened to him , but not 2 Barkley whom his chin is sometimes overrated .
Barkley had titles in 3 weight classes , Nunn had in 2 .
They belong 2 d same era .
And it wasn't like Barkley was matched carefully or even smart during his long career .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Hill was a better technical boxer than Barkley. Lasting against Toney is allot easier than lasting against Jones. Jones knocked out fighters in 1-2 rounds who went 12 hard rounds with Toney
Because Jones fought all of those guys when they were older than when Toney fought them , much older , and is a year younger than Toney himself - he simply let Toney and others destroy these guys b4 he fought them . Montell Griffin , btw , is not an example to your argument btw .
Thornton and Sosa are , however , but I explained why above .
Also , we know how legit was d Sosa stoppage , there was a thread about it in d recent months.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #60
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

he beat hearns in 88'
and then hearns goes and beats leonard in 89' although given a draw.
that proves hearns wasnt that shot.
lepinthehood is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum