Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Power-Earnie Shavers

So I was thinking of making this a regular thing, every once and a while start a thread in which we discuss some of the most reputable power punchers in the sport. I'd be looking for people to share opinions, stats and information (KO ratio, opponents KO'd ect., ect.) anecdotes and quotes on the fighter and their punching ability from trainers and opponents and such. Just general discussion. I think it'd be a good way to share info and gain an appreciation for certain fighters. So here's the test run - Earnie Shavers.

What did people say about Shavers power? What were some of his most impressive feats and performances? Anyone interested in chiming in?

Last edited by Maxmomer; 04-25-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #2
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Power-Earnie Shavers

His fight with heavyweight prospect roy tiger williams was supposedly a foreman-lyle type affair, williams was 6'5 235lb with a lot of power.......he floored shavers in the 10th final round standing 8 count shavers said in his book he didnt know where he was, then shavers suddenly caught williams with a right coming in and williams fell back to the ropes out on his feet and shavers moved in and finished him off late in the round to win the fight by the tip of his nail. only time roy tiger williams was ever stopped.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
His fight with heavyweight prospect roy tiger williams was supposedly a foreman-lyle type affair, williams was 6'5 235lb with a lot of power.......he floored shavers standing 8 count shavers said in his book he didnt know where he was, then shavers suddenly caught williams with a right coming in and williams fell back to the ropes out on his feet and shavers moved in and finished him off. only time roy tiger williams was ever stopped.
Nice. See, that's what this is about, I didn't know that, now I do! Thanks, man.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Williams was overated as a puncher, he could not stop weak chinned Richard Dunn who was Ko'd 10 times 4 in the 1st rd, in fact he lost a decision to Dunn. Shavers had power but when he moved up in class, his power was not as potent or I should say his one punch power failed to finish a number of guys, i think his lack of stamina played a large part in this.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 AM   #5
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis
Williams was overated as a puncher, he could not stop weak chinned Richard Dunn who was Ko'd 10 times 4 in the 1st rd, in fact he lost a decision to Dunn. Shavers had power but when he moved up in class, his power was not as potent or I should say his one punch power failed to finish a number of guys, i think his lack of stamina played a large part in this.
His fight with Cobb is a good example of his stamina failing him. Cobb wasn't actually hurting him, but they had to stop it just because Shavers got too tired to defend himself anymore. That was actually a pretty good fight.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Shavers-Cobb is one of those rare occasions when a boxer makes his opponent punch himself by wailing away... On the boxer's chin. Of course, I use "boxer" in the non-literal sense when talking about Tex. Shavers basically got tired of landing flush shots on Cobb and puffed out like a rhino having a heart-attack.

Come to think of it, Shavers was on his way to losing a UD against Holmes in their rematch, but Holmes never really staggered him. It was just that Holmes was capable of putting up an intense pace into the championship rounds and Shavers just couldn't hang with that. The ref stopped it because Shavers didn't have enough energy left to stand properly.

As for Williams-Dunn, how many shots did Tiger actually land on Dunn? Richie was no defensive master, but at a lower class he was pretty hard to hit.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

I've heard that Shaver's made a boxing glove explode from hitting someone so hard.

No joke.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 AM   #8
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
Shavers-Cobb is one of those rare occasions when a boxer makes his opponent punch himself by wailing away... On the boxer's chin. Of course, I use "boxer" in the non-literal sense when talking about Tex. Shavers basically got tired of landing flush shots on Cobb and puffed out like a rhino having a heart-attack.

Come to think of it, Shavers was on his way to losing a UD against Holmes in their rematch, but Holmes never really staggered him. It was just that Holmes was capable of putting up an intense pace into the championship rounds and Shavers just couldn't hang with that. The ref stopped it because Shavers didn't have enough energy left to stand properly.

As for Williams-Dunn, how many shots did Tiger actually land on Dunn? Richie was no defensive master, but at a lower class he was pretty hard to hit.
Yeah, that **** was nuts. Even if Shavers doesn't hit as hard as he's reputed, Cobb's ability to take that many flush shots with out even being woblled (as far as I can recall) was incredible. I wonder if that was the fight plan going in: "Alright Tex, remember what we practiced, let him beat the **** out of you until until he can't take it anymore!" I guess we know where Homer got his fight strategy.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 01:04 AM   #9
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Watching Cobb basically karate chop a leaning over defenseless Shavers dozens of times was priceless.

Shavers was hitting him so hard Cobb's entire body was spinning around like a top.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Shavers was also what 37 years old and pretty far removed from his best days when he fought cobb. shavers was at his best in the early-mid 1970s, he seemed to be faster and have better stamina. his stamina got horrible as he got older.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 AM   #11
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Watching Cobb basically karate chop a leaning over defenseless Shavers dozens of times was priceless.

Shavers was hitting him so hard Cobb's entire body was spinning around like a top.
That fight was just downright weird. One of the craziest match-ups I've seen. One guy with a titanium chin but hardly any punching power, one with nothing but power and hardly any chin, both of them were so damn tired they were about falling over. Classic ****.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 AM   #12
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Love that fight.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Love that fight.
An important date for fellow Texan Randall "Tex" Cobb:

"Graduated with a BS degree from the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Friday January 25, 2008."
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #14
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhhorn71
An important date for fellow Texan Randall "Tex" Cobb:

"Graduated with a BS degree from the School of Tourism and Hospitality Management at Temple University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Friday January 25, 2008."
Wasn't he kicked out of college in the early 70's for his radical behavior? I guess at one point he was on the football team. One night the coach walked past the dorms and saw Tex stark naked on the roof of a frat house with a flaming bow and arrow pointed at a rival dorm, screaming " you boys ready to die?"
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #15
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan

Dunn was ko'd by

Danny MacAlinden KO 1
Billy Aird KO 6
George Dulaire KO1
Rocky Campell KO 1
Bunny Johnson KO10
Jimmy Young KO8
Ngozik Ekwelum(his record was 2-1-2) KO7
Jose Urtain KO4
ALI**(how did Ali fight this guy) KO5
Joe Bugner KO1
Kallie Knoetzee KO5

these are all the guys who KO"D Dunn(who was not to hard to hit) BIG Chin Dunn won a UD over Tiger Williams and I think if the "Tiger"had any serious power it would not have taken much to KO Dunn
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum