Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #16
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs This list of fighters

Kimbo Slice holds the clear edge in a P4P sense to all of the above mentioned fighters.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Kimbo Slice holds the clear edge in a P4P sense to all of the above mentioned fighters.
Absolutely

A fighter from Detroit I used to spar with, Mickey Goodwin, was slated to fight Hagler in '82 instead of Caveman Lee, but he suffered hand injuries during training. He would have starched Hagler
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thing is i was only half joking.

he actually was better than all of the Brits on the list at the very least.

So was alan Minter.

McCallum was also nowhere near Hagler at his best; far too east to hit, had great issues with movers and slower hands than the Hagler that fought Leonard.Struggled terribly over the last six rounds against collins,made to look like Tito by kalambay, another laboured struggle with Graham etc...

Yet he's going to push Hagler at his best close?.It would be a near-shutout loss for a fighter who's legacy benefited greatly from association by revisionist history with the greats he never got to fight.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #19
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla

So was alan Minter.

There's no point in matching this level of fighter against an all-time great.
I disagree with this, though I usually find you to be one of the best posters. Still do, I just disagree in this case. In a head to head sense, I don't consider Minter better than Eubank or Watson, considering they were natural 168 pounders.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #20
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla

So was alan Minter.

McCallum was also nowhere near Hagler at his best; far too east to hit, had great issues with movers and slower hands than the Hagler that fought Leonard.Struggled terribly over the last six rounds against collins,made to look like Tito by kalambay, another laboured struggle with Graham etc...

Yet he's going to push Hagler at his best close?.It would be a near-shutout loss for a fighter who's legacy benefited greatly from association by revisionist history with the greats he never got to fight.
It's interesting and refreshing to finally see a critical eye cast over McCallum. He sorta cruises along under the radar and seldom faces the microscope others do. He's a damn good fighter but i agree he would suit Hagler quite well.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #21
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
considering they were natural 168 pounders.
Not sure about that. I'd say lean towards 'middleweights'. Watson for obvious reasons. He only had one fight at the weight, which was his fight with Eubank for the vacant WBO super-middleweight title. He did slightly weigh over the middleweight limit for non-title fights. Eubank had more title fights at super-middleweight, so many people might see him as that being his natural weight.

Last edited by Robbi; 04-28-2008 at 06:54 AM.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #22
Henbridge

Let's not forget that Eubank couldn't deal with a southpaw stance. It wouldn't be 50/50.

Let's not also forget that Eubank couldn't deal with a fighter who could pressure for three minutes of each round without flinching.

It wouldn't be 80/20.
Henbridge is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #23
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterorder19
Nigel Benn
Chris Eubank
Michael Watson
Mike McCallum (most underrated fighter of all time)
Gerald Mccellan
Julian Jackson
James Toney
Michael Nunn
Herold Graham
Sumbu Kalambay

you're thoughts on how he would've fared against this list of great fighters
I would pick Eubank to out point point him (although I don't believe he would be favored)...Watson and McCallum to give him a very close battle to end in SD/MD or draw...I don't believe any of the rest would hang w/ him...Toney and Nunn might have a good shot at an upset (but I don't see it). McClellan, Jackson and Benn could possibly go the route of of the Mugabi fight, closely contested w/ marvin finishing them off...IMHO>
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Some good calls but I think many on this forum are selling Graham a little short. At his peak the guy was a defensive genius in the sense that it was impossible to lay a glove on him. I think the peak version of Graham (not the one that fought McCallum or even Jackson) would give Hagler a lot of problems and although I think Hagler's workrate and Graham's negative style would mean that Hagler would win over the distance. It would be close and ugly though.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #25
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
It would be interesting to see how long he'd last more than anything else. Hagler's uppercut would be the weapon to shake-up Benn as he surged forward. Benn's jab wasn't as effective as Hagler's, as it was used as a range finder with not much authority behind it at the best of times. This fight would be a war as Benn would always come off second best against Hagler in an 'outright' boxing match. He'd opt for a tear-up. Hagler TKO8

Eubank was an awkward customer at the best of times. Unpredictable without being too unorthodox at the same time. Defensively better than Benn, who prefered to slip and slide. Eubank was cagey with a low punch output, depending on what was put in front of him. If Eubank was forced into a battle he'd fire right back. He was known to 'telegraph' his right hand. He'd wind it up, close his eyes, and loop it. Hagler had the brain to suss these punches, make Eubank miss, then capatalize effectively. He'd more than likely take Hagler the distance as he was durable. Hagler on points.

You missed one of Watson's best attributes, his workrate. He could go all night long and was usually extremely accurate at the same time. But he wouldn't be as accurate against Hagler. Peek-a-boo defense similarly to Winky. He could lead or counter with equal efficiency. Hagler has the option of boxing side to side, something Benn never quite grasped against Watson. I reckon Hagler would do a similar job on Watson that McCallum done. Simply breaking him down with the jab and picking his punches, especially to the body. Hagler TKO 11.

This fight would be brilliant on the eye. Probably Hagler's toughest fight out all these match-ups. McCallum had a good defense, a superb jab, quick hands, and a brain to equal Hagler's. They also shared one thing in common more than anything else, a granite chin. However, Hagler's ring generalship had a bit more to it regarding movement. McCallum was inclinded to stand at arms length more often. Both fighters had superb technique and a wide variety of punches. I'd probably pick Hagler via SD.

As big a puncher as McClellan was at middleweight, not sure his heavy weaponry would trouble the iron chinned Hagler. Tactically he wasn't as smart as Eubank or McCallum. I can't see Hagler messing around with him and being cautious. This would be exciting with a capital E. Hagler KO2. Accurate hard bombs would be too much for the G-man along with Hagler's determination and durbality.

Jackson would be outboxed and broken down. He was a very hard puncher and I'm afraid that alone isn't going to beat Hagler. Jackson doesn't have the ability to outscore him, not by a long shot. I can see Hagler gradually forcing his way forward and going in for the kill around the 5th.

Agreed. Toney would give Hagler a decent inside battle, but not on the outside. This would be a very competitive fight, that I can say with confidence. Toney's fluid offensive and defensive co-ordination alone means this goes well into the late rounds. But Hagler's steady workrate and and straight left hand out of the southpaw stance would tag Toney. Hagler has the same ability to do what McCallum done, but go one better IMO. Hagler points.

Hagler would need to attack and cut the ring off, probably like never before. Nunn's showboating and hands down style would be his undoing. Hagler would be made to look a fool over the first 3-4 rounds, but the body shots would slow down Nunn. His quick hands and timing are crucial here, no question. Nunn could well be leading on the cards before being taken out brutally down the stretch.

A bit like the Nunn fight. Hagler gets him late after possibly trailing on the cards. Hagler's killer instinct and will to win, too much.

Never seen much of Kalambay. From what I have seen, Hagler stops him late. Hazey prediction.
You are drastically overrating Hagler, if vito Auntofermo takes him to a (deserved) draw then you can bet some of the above fighters would hang an L on his ledger.
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 03:07 PM   #26
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
You are drastically overrating Hagler, if vito Auntofermo takes him to a (deserved) draw then you can bet some of the above fighters would hang an L on his ledger.
If you're case is based on the Anuofermo draw then come back again with something better.

Styles make fights and I'm giving many of the fighters mentioned a great shot at beating Hagler. If you actually read very carefully I did say McCallum gives him so close a fight he'd eek of the decision. Probably controversial as well I'd like to add. And I did state that Nunn and Graham would be leading on the cards down the stretch before Hagler turned up the heat late to stop them both.

I would like to think that anyone reading my views on Hagler against all those fighters would come to the conclusion its all constructed and fair opinions not too wide of the mark for each fight. I'm not biased and I don't think it shows. If I said Hagler would knockout every fighter on the list within 6 rounds, then yeah.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #27
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbridge[QUOTE
]Let's not forget that Eubank couldn't deal with a southpaw stance.
Because of his loss to Calzaghe at that late stage of his career?

Quote:
Let's not also forget that Eubank couldn't deal with a fighter who could pressure for three minutes of each round without flinching.
Agreed, Benn was surely a boxer/mover.

As for Michael Watson, I was off on that one, he was a MW through and through, I had his bout with Benn pinned as a SMW bout, which is why I confused the weight.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #28
Henbridge

Quote:
Because of his loss to Calzaghe at that late stage of his career?
He looked very disjointed against Gary Stretch and Dan Schommer, being outboxed and out-pointed by both - he couldn't seem to get in position to jab and his right hand turned into a roundhouse. It was the southpaw stance on both occasions. And against Calzaghe.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 PM   #29
Henbridge

Quote:
Agreed, Benn was surely a boxer/mover.
Watson in their second fight. Watson was winning every minute of every round after the fourth, because Eubank lacked quick-thinking abilities and stamina (carrying too much muscle).

Benn did a lot of feinting on the outside against Eubank.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterorder19
Nigel Benn
Chris Eubank
Michael Watson
Mike McCallum (most underrated fighter of all time)
Gerald Mccellan
Julian Jackson
James Toney
Michael Nunn
Herold Graham
Sumbu Kalambay

you're thoughts on how he would've fared against this list of great fighters

At 160 he beats all
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum