Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Do you agree with them?
I agree with them 6 16.22%
I disagree with them 31 83.78%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #1
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

According to Sweet Pea, RoccoMarciano, Godking, and Wealty Elite,Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him and the fact that he was inactive for 2 years with no tune ups didn't matter, the same result would have happened to peak Holmes. Is it me or is that one of the most bogus and disrespectful thing that i have heard? They also said that Tyson wasn't vulnerable to a consistant jab, despite Tucker, Biggs, Douglas, Quick Tliis ect all having success with theirs, with Tillis even frustrating Tyson and Douglas controling Tyson throughout the fight.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Wow, I guess you really are a troll.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Wow, i guess you really don't know anything about boxing. Answer the question or leave, please. I can't waste my time, . These people need to be called out on their foolishness.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:50 AM   #4
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
that doesn't mean a 43 year old is better than a 39 version of the same fighter, regardless of tune ups.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 AM   #5
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Funny how he acts like Holmes was in his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
Prime Tyson did beat Holmes... your point? Holmes was a guy who likely/certainly had the hardest jab of anybody you brought up.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:59 AM   #6
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I laughed at his disrespecting of Holmes and underating of greats. If he actually watched Holmes fight, then he would have known that he beat plenty of elite fighters and made Tyson's resume look like garbage(which it is compared to Holmes resume)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy Elite
What prime elite fighter did holmes beat?

Dumbass.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #7
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
I laughed at his disrespecting of Holmes and underating of greats.
You'd be one to talk

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #8
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
I laughed at his disrespecting of Holmes and underating of greats. If he actually watched Holmes fight, then he would have known that he beat plenty of elite fighters and made Tyson's resume look like garbage(which it is compared to Holmes resume)
I disagreed on the poll, but Holmes never beat an elite HW in his prime, i rate Holmes as 1 of the very finest HWs ever, HE is an elite HW
teeto is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #9
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
I disagreed on the poll, but Holmes never beat an elite HW in his prime, i rate Holmes as 1 of the very finest HWs ever, HE is an elite HW
My point is that Holmes beat FAR better competition that Tyson did and looked more impressive while doing so. Also, i would consider Norton elite.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 AM   #10
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Another post where he disrepects greats while trying to make it seem that Tyson has beaten better competition than Holmes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wealthy Elite
You mean old old old and shot ken norton who got robbed against holmes? Witherspoon is no better than berbick/tubbs/tucker. Ray mercer got outboxed by jesse fergueson. Weaver?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 AM   #11
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
My point is that Holmes beat FAR better competition that Tyson did and looked more impressive while doing so. Also, i would consider Norton elite.
Holmes had a great record, i dont personally consider Norton ELITE, not at all in honesty, 1 of the best of his era though. Some elite fighters havent beaten other elite fighters simply because they were not around at the same time as each other.
teeto is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
Rumsfeld
East Side VIP

vCash: 655

I would favor a prime Holmes over a prime Tyson or a prime Ali. I think his style meshes well in such match-ups.

So no, Holmes was quite clearly not in his prime when he fought Tyson.

Regardless, I still love when Holmes cam out (was it the 4th round?) jabbing like a machine, in vintage Holmes form.

Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Samurai
I lost an avatar bet
ESB Addict

Are you blind? roccomarciano said "PRIME Tyson did beat Holmes". I didn't see a "prime Tyson did beat prime Holmes." so I don't see what you're getting at here.
Samurai is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Chucky just started a thread about who we want banned, and I was going to offer you up because of stuff like this. You twist shit around and straight up LIE like you're doing right now. When the **** did I ever say Holmes was in his prime? ****ing troll idiot. The post you quited of mine didn't back up what you said at all. You're the ****ing idiot that was arguing that Mercer was better than anyone Tyson had ever beaten, when Tyson beat the Holmes that beat Mercer 4 YEARS PRIOR. ****ing idiot. Ban this lying piece of shit.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A lengthy layoff hurts anyone, especially though when they are in their mid-30s. Plus, Holmes had shown that he was slipping even when he was active. He was definitely slipping as of the Carl Williams fight. If you watch him against Spinks, in both fights, you will see that is not the same razor sharp guy that fought Leon Spinks, Ossie Ocasio, etc. in the 79-82 era. Those were his prime years. Quite frankly, after Cooney, Larry started to gradually slip, because I don't think he was ever quite as motivated again, did not see the huge mega-fight on the horizon. I think most of those subsequent defenses were just par for the course paycheck days at the office, nothing really special to him, and he was just going through the motions. When you make huge money in one fight, a lot of times it is hard to get "up" for the little ones. There just weren't the big ones back then, especially not once guys like Norton, Shavers, Leon Spinks, Ali, and Cooney were gone. None of the rest of those guys were "names" that the public would get really amped and excited about. Not saying those other defenses weren't against good fighters, and there were good fighters out there, but none of which really captured the public's imagination where he could look forward to an extravaganza. Plus, keep in mind that Larry didn't win the title until he was like 28 years old, so his prime years were not going to be that lengthy anyway. For him to reign for 7 years and have 20 defenses was wonderful, but you cannot expect him to be anywhere near as good in his mid to late 30s, especially not after a lengthy layoff.
apollack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum