Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Do you agree with them?
I agree with them 6 16.22%
I disagree with them 31 83.78%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 AM   #46
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
What did I say? You accused me of saying that Tyson beat a prime Holmes at the start of this thread. Point me to where I said that in the thread.

I clearly said in that thread and this one that a fight between the two prime for prime is 50/50 for me. Again, point me to where I said it. I'll wait.

edit: You're now conveniently offline. Figures. What a loser.
I went offline because i have a life and a job, unlike a lot of people on this forum. I have nothing to hide. You repeatedly ignored the fact that Holmes didn't have tune ups for Tyson and acted as if he was in his prime, as well as a few of your little buddies thats running around here. You also stated that the version that fought Mercer was worse that the version that fought Tyson, only to support your pathetic case and you were again, forgeting about inactivity.

Also, do you remember that idiot thread that you made over at boxing-scene entitled ''Hearns vs Ali''? You know, the thread where you accused me of stating that Hearns had the ability to out box Ali, when i didn't say a thing like that and you were completely putting words in my mouth? You are getting a taste of your own medicine but there is a difference between the two situations, i am actually telling the truth and you weren't.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #47
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer
I think it's pathetic to go out of your way to "expose another poster", when clearly you are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer

(This is where he inserts a dirty *** joke involving my mother) Like all trolls do.
No offense but shut up, please. You don't know what you are talking about nor the debate that we had. Sometimes its good for people to mind their buisness and stay out of others conversations and this is one of those times.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #48
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
Do you think Spinks may have doubted his own ability a little vs Tyson?
It would be no surprise.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #49
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
It would be no surprise.
I think media hype may have gotten into his head a little. While I think Tyson would have still won at that point in time, Spinks didn't really show any desire to try..... kind of like he had been convinced he didn't have any chance of winning. Mental stuff can, and does, play a role in everything, including boxing.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 AM   #50
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
I think media hype may have gotten into his head a little. While I think Tyson would have still won at that point in time, Spinks didn't really show any desire to try..... kind of like he had been convinced he didn't have any chance of winning. Mental stuff can, and does, play a role in everything, including boxing.
Some points, most opinion based

Spinks did indeed seem to be possibly a little intimidated by Tyson, and to be honest i don't think it had anything to do with the media. Spinks could see exactly how fast and how hard Tyson hit without any media glorification. I believe he commented he was surprised just how big Tysons dimensions were when he first was beside him and he'd also pulled out of the heavy tourney sometime previous.

Rather than question Spinks trying or not i am inclined to think he just froze up a little with fear and couldn't fight the way he had come too. Futch said the plan was to avoid Tyson the first handful of rounds but Spinks stood there and even tried to trade, not that it could barely be called that.

In hindsight i see Spinks as a bit of a lamb to the slaughter. Tyson was easily as fast and Spinks didn't have enough firepower at the weight to dissuade him enough. It's my contention Tyson would be the greatest fighter ever at dispatching light heavyweights. Spinks, Charles, Conn, Tunney, Moore, Foster, i think they'd all struggle to survive very long.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 AM   #51
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchamp
Disagree,

Pinklon Thomas was still an elite fighter at the the Tyson fought him.

Razor Ruddock was an elite fighter, remember he was favored to come on top in a tournament consisting of himself, Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis.

Micheal Spinks was an elite fighter at the time he met Tyson. He didnt have much done at HW but after beating Holmes twice and the Cooney fight he was considered a top fighter.
Razor Ruddock and Pinklon Thomas are not classed alongside the HW division's elite, come on man?? Its not logicsl to make such a statement. I know we have our opinions on what an 'elite' fighter is/was, but by no means do they cut it. You use the term too lightly
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:23 AM   #52
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
Razor Ruddock and Pinklon Thomas are not classed alongside the HW division's elite, come on man?? Its not logicsl to make such a statement. I know we have our opinions on what an 'elite' fighter is/was, but by no means do they cut it. You use the term too lightly
To be fair i think he means an elite version of their exact time that Tyson fought them, which is of course still up for debate depending on ones views. Personally i think Thomas wasn't as good as he had been but also not shot.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 AM   #53
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
To be fair i think he means an elite version of their exact time that Tyson fought them, which is of course still up for debate depending on ones views. Personally i think Thomas wasn't as good as he had been but also not shot.
I think he means (by 'elite'), a top fighter at the time, am i right? I just didnt think there was much to disagree with me on, i wasnt disrespecting any1, i was asked what i thought an 'elite' fighter was/is, i give my own personal explanation and then stated he has never beatn an elite fighter
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 AM   #54
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
In hindsight i see Spinks as a bit of a lamb to the slaughter. Tyson was easily as fast and Spinks didn't have enough firepower at the weight to dissuade him enough. It's my contention Tyson would be the greatest fighter ever at dispatching light heavyweights. Spinks, Charles, Conn, Tunney, Moore, Foster, i think they'd all struggle to survive very long.
I suppose this is accurate, although I hate to admit it. Tyson would have always won, at that time.. I just think, in the long term, Spinks was the better champion - more based on long term personality than anything else. I know that is a flaw of mine, no sense in going over it again.

I still think Spinks could have done better were he around people that told him he was going to win.... I don't think he had that for this fight. Spinks would have still lost... but he would have shown just how great he was through better mindset!

Kinda like crying over nothing, but Spinks was a great boxer... kinda sad a lot of people, probably, only remember him because of the Tyson loss.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #55
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
Also, do you remember that idiot thread that you made over at boxing-scene entitled ''Hearns vs Ali''? You know, the thread where you accused me of stating that Hearns had the ability to out box Ali, when i didn't say a thing like that and you were completely putting words in my mouth? You are getting a taste of your own medicine but there is a difference between the two situations, i am actually telling the truth and you weren't.
If you're telling the truth, point out to me where I said Holmes was in his prime. Very simple, you'd think, with everything you quoted and posted on here, that you could post that. However, you know the only mention I made of prime Holmes was when I said a fight between the two would be 50/50 in my eyes. Face it, you're a scumbag and a liar.

As far as my Ali/Hearns thread, you didn't directly say that Hearns would beat Ali, what you did say however was that size had nothing to do with boxing ability, and if someone was a great boxer they'd be able to outbox anyone from any class because size has nothing to do with boxing ability. That was just another case in a long list of cases of you showing your supreme idiocy, and I called you on it. You're blatantly lying about what I said, I just made that thread going on the point you made.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #56
enquirer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Keep this pollution to the general forum girls.....
enquirer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #57
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 647
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
If you're telling the truth, point out to me where I said Holmes was in his prime. Very simple, you'd think, with everything you quoted and posted on here, that you could post that. However, you know the only mention I made of prime Holmes was when I said a fight between the two would be 50/50 in my eyes. Face it, you're a scumbag and a liar.

As far as my Ali/Hearns thread, you didn't directly say that Hearns would beat Ali, what you did say however was that size had nothing to do with boxing ability, and if someone was a great boxer they'd be able to outbox anyone from any class because size has nothing to do with boxing ability. That was just another case in a long list of cases of you showing your supreme idiocy, and I called you on it. You're blatantly lying about what I said, I just made that thread going on the point you made.
Dude... I know you're frustrated, but like I told John Thomas, do you think what you're saying is getting through..?

You'd have a better hope of reasoning with a brick wall.

I would have to recommend you drop the argument, stand back at laugh at him (like I do) and start contributing to genuine arguments
Sizzle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #58
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
As far as my Ali/Hearns thread, you didn't directly say that Hearns would beat Ali, what you did say however was that size had nothing to do with boxing ability, and if someone was a great boxer they'd be able to outbox anyone from any class because size has nothing to do with boxing ability.
And you have the nerve to get mad at me because you claim i made up stuff? I said none of the things you said and now you see what i am talking about. You are master of putting words in other poster mouths and you just gave a prime example of it.

You didn't directly say that Holmes was in his prime, you said that he looked good early on against Tyson and the fact that he was inactive for two years didn't matter, as if it would have been the same result had he fought peak Holmes.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #59
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Somewhere gone off dat lean!
Posts: 945
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
Dude... I know you're frustrated, but like I told John Thomas, do you think what you're saying is getting through..?

You'd have a better hope of reasoning with a brick wall.

I would have to recommend you drop the argument, stand back at laugh at him (like I do) and start contributing to genuine arguments
Like you contribute to genuine arguements? Most people on this forum admitted that you were the biggest Jones hater on this forum and you don't know what you are talking about half of the time. If you are not apart of a conversation, then leave the thread and stop wasting people's time.

Last edited by Team_Calzaghe; 06-08-2007 at 06:47 AM.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:33 AM   #60
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,119
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Larry Holmes was in his prime when Tyson beat him(Read the post first)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto
I think he means (by 'elite'), a top fighter at the time, am i right? I just didnt think there was much to disagree with me on, i wasnt disrespecting any1, i was asked what i thought an 'elite' fighter was/is, i give my own personal explanation and then stated he has never beatn an elite fighter
So you don't think Rudduck and Thomas were elite of their day at the time Tyson fought em? Or you do? Bit lost sorry.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013