Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
maxanthony
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Ezzard Charles

How good was he? I'm only 22, but my grandad and dad rate him very highly, my dad considers him one of the slickest boxers he's ever seen.
maxanthony is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Did your pa see him live?

I'd rate him top 2 at 175, top 5 all time.

Anything from 5-9 all time is defendable in my view, no lower than 3 in his weight class (Langford and Tunney for company).
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

At his peak, he was like a larger version of Sugar Ray Robinson. Fantastic fighter, the best LHW of all time for my money, based both on head to head(though it's close) and resume. His resume is behind only guys like Harry Greb and Sam Langford all time. #6 P4P of all time for me.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
maxanthony
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Na hes 48 now, but was brought up on guys like him, marciano, walcott despite the fact that they hadn't been around for a while. Always said it just seemed like marciano couldn't be hurt, that Charles was great, out boxed him, but the rock couldn't be hurt.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxanthony
Na hes 48 now, but was brought up on guys like him, marciano, walcott despite the fact that they hadn't been around for a while. Always said it just seemed like marciano couldn't be hurt, that Charles was great, out boxed him, but the rock couldn't be hurt.
Charles was well past his prime when Marciano beat him. His prime was years earlier at Light Heavyweight.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
maxanthony
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah he mentioned it, but I still see the same result. Would love to see how Charles would do in today's era, I think he'd tear it up at light heavy, a good division already.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah he mentioned it, but I still see the same result. Would love to see how Charles would do in today's era, I think he'd tear it up at light heavy, a good division already.
he absolutely would. i see charles as 2-3 all time for the weight class.
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Charles' career you need to look at closely through the lense at light-heavyweight. He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them.

Walcott, Maxim, Bivins, Marshall, and Moore. He fought most of those opponents more than once. Charles wasn't unbeaten at the weight, but he was consistent and had strong longevity.

Charles was past it at heavyweight, but he finally won the title, something he never unfortunatley accomplished at his prime weight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Charles' career you need to look at closely through the lense at light-heavyweight. He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them.

Walcott, Maxim, Bivins, Marshall, and Moore. He fought most of those opponents more than once. Charles wasn't unbeaten at the weight, but he was consistent and had strong longevity.

Charles was past it at heavyweight, but he finally won the title, something he never unfortunatley accomplished at his prime weight.
Because he was never given a shot, despite beating everyone there was to beat.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi

Ezzard Charles was one cut away from beating Marciano a few more hits to the nose, he would've been the first two time heavyweight champ.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer
Ezzard Charles was one cut away from beating Marciano a few more hits to the nose, he would've been the first two time heavyweight champ.
Thats just myth making from the media to build up the story. Both the Ref and the Doc said they were not going to stop the fight, because it was a championship fight. The so call story of the ref letting 1 more round go is in fact, myth making, never happen.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Thats just myth making from the media to build up the story. Both the Ref and the Doc said they were not going to stop the fight, because it was a championship fight. The so call story of the ref letting 1 more round go is in fact, myth making, never happen.
Thanks for clearing it up, they've had this fight on some documentary and said it was almost stopped.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 AM   #13
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Charles beat future Hall-of-Famers all the way from middleweight to heavyweight during a span of over a decade. He faced nearly every elite fighter of his era, white or black, which is a significant distinction amongst his peers, and in his mercuric peak in the mid-to-late '40s at light heavyweight, he was one of the most devastating, dominant forces the division has ever seen. Unfortunately, he was denied a title shot there, as he had been when he was #1 middleweight contender as a young man in the early '40s, but his subsequent move to the heavyweight division proved immensely fruitful, finally producing a world championship, along with his memorable rivalry with Jersey Joe Walcott, and two thrilling, gallant performances in losses to Marciano. Charles beat revered Hall-of-Famers like Archie Moore (three times), Charley Burley (twice), Jersey Joe Walcott (twice), Jimmy Bivins (four times), Lloyd Marshall (twice), Joey Maxim (five times!), along with a host of other quality contenders, many of whom were avoided by other champions. In terms of multi-division accomplishments and depth and quality of the opposition beaten, I think Charles ranks near the very top of the list, and a reasonable case could be made for him over absolutely anyone. I consider him a definite top three all-time light heavyweight, top 20 all-time heavyweight, and top 15 pound-for-pound in the history of the sport.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Because he was never given a shot, despite beating everyone there was to beat.
Yeah I did say that, "he never won the title" which doesn't necessarily mean I'm saying he got a shot at the title. And I also mentioned he beat many fighters who were champions at the weight which covers your "despite beating everyone there was to beat"

"He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them"

Last edited by Robbi; 04-28-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #15
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
How good was he? I'm only 22, but my grandad and dad rate him very highly, my dad considers him one of the slickest boxers he's ever seen.
Trully one of the finest fighters of all-time, and imo a lok for number 1 ATG at LHW. Was the absolute best in a golden era at 175
teeto is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum