boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
maxanthony
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 165
vCash: 1000
Default Ezzard Charles

How good was he? I'm only 22, but my grandad and dad rate him very highly, my dad considers him one of the slickest boxers he's ever seen.
maxanthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,900
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Did your pa see him live?

I'd rate him top 2 at 175, top 5 all time.

Anything from 5-9 all time is defendable in my view, no lower than 3 in his weight class (Langford and Tunney for company).
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

At his peak, he was like a larger version of Sugar Ray Robinson. Fantastic fighter, the best LHW of all time for my money, based both on head to head(though it's close) and resume. His resume is behind only guys like Harry Greb and Sam Langford all time. #6 P4P of all time for me.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
maxanthony
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 165
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Na hes 48 now, but was brought up on guys like him, marciano, walcott despite the fact that they hadn't been around for a while. Always said it just seemed like marciano couldn't be hurt, that Charles was great, out boxed him, but the rock couldn't be hurt.
maxanthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxanthony
Na hes 48 now, but was brought up on guys like him, marciano, walcott despite the fact that they hadn't been around for a while. Always said it just seemed like marciano couldn't be hurt, that Charles was great, out boxed him, but the rock couldn't be hurt.
Charles was well past his prime when Marciano beat him. His prime was years earlier at Light Heavyweight.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
maxanthony
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 165
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Yeah he mentioned it, but I still see the same result. Would love to see how Charles would do in today's era, I think he'd tear it up at light heavy, a good division already.
maxanthony is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
mightyd40
Spartan
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: otown
Posts: 1,135
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxanthony
Yeah he mentioned it, but I still see the same result. Would love to see how Charles would do in today's era, I think he'd tear it up at light heavy, a good division already.
he absolutely would. i see charles as 2-3 all time for the weight class.
mightyd40 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxanthony
Na hes 48 now, but was brought up on guys like him, marciano, walcott despite the fact that they hadn't been around for a while. Always said it just seemed like marciano couldn't be hurt, that Charles was great, out boxed him, but the rock couldn't be hurt.
Charles' career you need to look at closely through the lense at light-heavyweight. He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them.

Walcott, Maxim, Bivins, Marshall, and Moore. He fought most of those opponents more than once. Charles wasn't unbeaten at the weight, but he was consistent and had strong longevity.

Charles was past it at heavyweight, but he finally won the title, something he never unfortunatley accomplished at his prime weight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Charles' career you need to look at closely through the lense at light-heavyweight. He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them.

Walcott, Maxim, Bivins, Marshall, and Moore. He fought most of those opponents more than once. Charles wasn't unbeaten at the weight, but he was consistent and had strong longevity.

Charles was past it at heavyweight, but he finally won the title, something he never unfortunatley accomplished at his prime weight.
Because he was never given a shot, despite beating everyone there was to beat.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Charles' career you need to look at closely through the lense at light-heavyweight. He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them.

Walcott, Maxim, Bivins, Marshall, and Moore. He fought most of those opponents more than once. Charles wasn't unbeaten at the weight, but he was consistent and had strong longevity.

Charles was past it at heavyweight, but he finally won the title, something he never unfortunatley accomplished at his prime weight.
Ezzard Charles was one cut away from beating Marciano a few more hits to the nose, he would've been the first two time heavyweight champ.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #11
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBCboxer
Ezzard Charles was one cut away from beating Marciano a few more hits to the nose, he would've been the first two time heavyweight champ.
Thats just myth making from the media to build up the story. Both the Ref and the Doc said they were not going to stop the fight, because it was a championship fight. The so call story of the ref letting 1 more round go is in fact, myth making, never happen.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
OBCboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Thats just myth making from the media to build up the story. Both the Ref and the Doc said they were not going to stop the fight, because it was a championship fight. The so call story of the ref letting 1 more round go is in fact, myth making, never happen.
Thanks for clearing it up, they've had this fight on some documentary and said it was almost stopped.
OBCboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:14 AM   #13
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Charles beat future Hall-of-Famers all the way from middleweight to heavyweight during a span of over a decade. He faced nearly every elite fighter of his era, white or black, which is a significant distinction amongst his peers, and in his mercuric peak in the mid-to-late '40s at light heavyweight, he was one of the most devastating, dominant forces the division has ever seen. Unfortunately, he was denied a title shot there, as he had been when he was #1 middleweight contender as a young man in the early '40s, but his subsequent move to the heavyweight division proved immensely fruitful, finally producing a world championship, along with his memorable rivalry with Jersey Joe Walcott, and two thrilling, gallant performances in losses to Marciano. Charles beat revered Hall-of-Famers like Archie Moore (three times), Charley Burley (twice), Jersey Joe Walcott (twice), Jimmy Bivins (four times), Lloyd Marshall (twice), Joey Maxim (five times!), along with a host of other quality contenders, many of whom were avoided by other champions. In terms of multi-division accomplishments and depth and quality of the opposition beaten, I think Charles ranks near the very top of the list, and a reasonable case could be made for him over absolutely anyone. I consider him a definite top three all-time light heavyweight, top 20 all-time heavyweight, and top 15 pound-for-pound in the history of the sport.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Because he was never given a shot, despite beating everyone there was to beat.
Yeah I did say that, "he never won the title" which doesn't necessarily mean I'm saying he got a shot at the title. And I also mentioned he beat many fighters who were champions at the weight which covers your "despite beating everyone there was to beat"

"He never won the title at that weight, but he fought many greats who were champions at the weight, either previously or after Charles fought them"

Last edited by Robbi; 04-28-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #15
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ezzard Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxanthony
How good was he? I'm only 22, but my grandad and dad rate him very highly, my dad considers him one of the slickest boxers he's ever seen.
Trully one of the finest fighters of all-time, and imo a lok for number 1 ATG at LHW. Was the absolute best in a golden era at 175
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015