Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #46
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: Stevie "Lil' But Bad" Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
That's what I'm sayin': I don't think Castillo beat Johnston.
Close enough fights to go with official verdicts though. I had Castillo in both bouts.
turbotime is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #47
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

That's fair enough.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #48
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
That's fair enough.
Johnston was pretty sick in the rematch I remember reading in the RING mag, but he still put up a great effort. It was weird to see him flounder after the Castillo fights. There was still Casa, Frietas, Floyd, etc.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:41 AM   #49
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I had Johnston winning the first Castillo fight clearly. I had it by 5 points 116-111 for Stevie, but could see it being closer. In no way shape or form did Castillo deserve the decision though.

The second fight was an either way type of affair which I had Stevie edging by a point.

Both performances were better than the first Mayweather performance against Castillo.

The second Castillo fight with Mayweather was as clear a victory for Mayweather as Johnston's first fight with Castillo was.

Having said that, I think Castillo was a little raw in the first fight with Johnston.

At the end of the day though, Jonhston was as good a fighter as anyone Mayweather fought at the time he fought them, Castillo included.

As for Xplosive saying that some here think Johnston would beat Floyd - who?

All that's being said is that he would be a tough fight for him, which if you think is wrong, then I'd like to here why....

Floyd would win because he's simply a superior athlete, but it would still be a good tussle.

By the way, Stevie's in fighting game > Mayweather's infighting game. Stevie stood comfortably with Castillo for 24 rounds, Floyd got a taste of it and entered the tour de France the second time round.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 03:51 AM   #50
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post
I would have picked Corrales to beat Johnston.

Stevie got hit too much on the inside to have beaten Chico.
His chin in his prime was exceptional though. Do you think Corrales knocks him out or somehow wins a decision?

I can't see either happening. The fight would likely go to the cards with Johnston winning a close decision (assuming the judges are fair).
Old 07-25-2012, 04:10 AM   #51
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I love you s_s Glad to be back
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 AM   #52
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I love you s_s Glad to be back
Feeling's mutual (no flomo). Welcome back.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #53
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post
Floyd has extreme haters on this forum, as well as extreme groupies.

His groupies think he's the GOAT, and his haters would say he isn't even top 50.

He's an all time great though, which Stevie Johnston quite honestly was far from being.

Wanna put into perspective? Stevie's crowning win, and best performance was Manfredy, whom he beat 8-4 or 9-3.

The same Manfredy whom Floyd had PREVIOUSLY destroyed in 2.

Stevie wasn't in Floyd's class. And to say that isn't being biased for Floyd, its simply stating the truth.
if u consider him a top 50 and even think that any1 who doesn't is a hater then u r 1 of his extreme groupies especially due 2 your supposed better education and knowledge of d history of d sport .
u r not some1 whom only got in2 it d last 3-4 yrs and barely heard of 110 fighters so u got 2 include him in your top 50 because Tony Thompson , JCCJr. , Lucian Bute and Adrian Broner r 4 out of d roughly 110 u heard about .
what xcuse can u have 4 ranking him in your top 50 ? did d creator of sea, son and earth wiped d history of d sport by mistake and forgot 2 back it up ?

edit , cing what some wrote : corrales was a fraud and a 1 hit wonder at best
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 04:27 AM   #54
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
if u consider him a top 50 and even think that any1 who doesn't is a hater then u r 1 of his extreme groupies especially due 2 your supposed better education and knowledge of d history of d sport .
u r not some1 whom only got in2 it d last 3-4 yrs and barely heard of 110 fighters so u got 2 include him in your top 50 because Tony Thompson , JCCJr. , Lucian Bute and Adrian Broner r 4 out of d roughly 110 u heard about .
what xcuse can u have 4 ranking him in your top 50 ? did d creator of sea, son and earth wiped d history of d sport by mistake and forgot 2 back it up ?

edit , cing what some wrote : corrales was a fraud and a 1 hit wonder at best
Corrales was not a fraud, sure he cheated against Castillo but Castillo avenged that just as dastardly.

Corrales also had wins over unbeaten Garcia (underdog win), Unbeaten Freitas (underdog win), Casamayor (underdog win) and big wins over Manfredy, Brown, Gainer and the Castillo fight of the century.

Calling him a 1 hit wonder is ****ing ridiculous and a complete disservice to the lightweights and junior lightweights of that period.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #55
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

PS I'd have taken Johnston over Corrales via decision.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #56
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Corrales was not a fraud, sure he cheated against Castillo but Castillo avenged that just as dastardly.

Corrales also had wins over unbeaten Garcia (underdog win), Unbeaten Freitas (underdog win), Casamayor (underdog win) and big wins over Manfredy, Brown, Gainer and the Castillo fight of the century.

Calling him a 1 hit wonder is ****ing ridiculous and a complete disservice to the lightweights and junior lightweights of that period.
i got a feeling that if i'll bother getting down 2 d depth of it , i will reprove that he was a 1 hit wonder at best .

u know , considering things such as age differences , spitting mouthpieces , coming in above d weight , considering that some of your mentions did/do not deserve a mention .
Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 AM   #57
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
u know , considering things such as age differences , spitting mouthpieces , coming in above d weight , considering that some of your mentions did/do not deserve a mention .
I'd like to hear all of them in regards to Corrales' career.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #58
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I'd like to hear all of them in regards to Corrales' career.
and i thought u know about him more than i do .

anyway , some of it is evident in boxrec and if u bother watching his fights after reading what's on boxrec , which i believe u did , then u will at least b able 2 know about it more than i do . i won't extend my interest in him just 4d sake of this argument . he who knows knows , and he who doesn't , can .
Old 07-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #59
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
and i thought u know about him more than i do .

anyway , some of it is evident in boxrec and if u bother watching his fights after reading what's on boxrec , which i believe u did , then u will at least b able 2 know about it more than i do . i won't extend my interest in him just 4d sake of this argument . he who knows knows , and he who doesn't , can .
Do you ever type with facts or just out of your ass? OR in a way so incoherent no one knows what the **** you're talking about. Tyson has a more rational twitter post logging than you do an ESB post count.

get it together man.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #60
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 172

He was a thing of beauty to watch when he let his hands go (no homo). Technically sound and a solid fighter. He lacked power, but made up for it by being able to box your ****ing ears off.
Ilesey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum