boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Orishaman
I tell it like it is....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cupey Alto, PR & Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 1000
Default ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

After watching Vladdy's last 2 fights and Kermit blazing comeback, i have to say that the value of tough sparring competition, Gym competitiveness at Kronk is invaluable to the succes of the new pupils of Emanuel...sure he took two solid talents and re-invenvented them to minimize their flaws, and enhancing their assest...what I like to call "Kronk-izing".

At this point on his career, I see a lot of Tommy Hearns physicaly and stylsiticly on Kermit, he is looking more and more as the man to beat at 147....Paul Williams and Kermit would be a masterfull showdown of 2 opponents that match stylistcly for a Bomb of a fight, this would be equal to any Fight of the Year I can think of even more than Castillo v. Corales I...

I want to see this fight happen, and better soon than later....and how things are moving out, it might be done by default since they might be the 2 odd men out of the big $$ WW matches....with ODLH back in the mix for a petential mega fight against Cotto...
Orishaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
boxing_kid
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 67
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

yea emaunel is a good trainer.
boxing_kid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: too ****in close to you......
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orishaman
After watching Vladdy's last 2 fights and Kermit blazing comeback, i have to say that the value of tough sparring competition, Gym competitiveness at Kronk is invaluable to the succes of the new pupils of Emanuel...sure he took two solid talents and re-invenvented them to minimize their flaws, and enhancing their assest...what I like to call "Kronk-izing".

At this point on his career, I see a lot of Tommy Hearns physicaly and stylsiticly on Kermit, he is looking more and more as the man to beat at 147....Paul Williams and Kermit would be a masterfull showdown of 2 opponents that match stylistcly for a Bomb of a fight, this would be equal to any Fight of the Year I can think of even more than Castillo v. Corales I...

I want to see this fight happen, and better soon than later....and how things are moving out, it might be done by default since they might be the 2 odd men out of the big $$ WW matches....with ODLH back in the mix for a petential mega fight against Cotto...

i think it has little to do with the trainer.........more with the comp.

lets not forget that both cintron and wladdy fought very undeserving challengers!!!!!

there is nothing to indicate that they can do this vs top guns like margo, cotto etc.
unitas is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Tettsuo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 291
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

You can't improve by sparring with chumps. The better your competition during sparring, the more you'll learn.
Tettsuo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Orishaman
I tell it like it is....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cupey Alto, PR & Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tettsuo
You can't improve by sparring with chumps. The better your competition during sparring, the more you'll learn.
And keeping up with your piersa the gym....boxer's pride!!
Orishaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 880
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

The Kronk competition hasn't seemed to help Taylor
Not Mannys fault
Mike T is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Orishaman
I tell it like it is....
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cupey Alto, PR & Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T
The Kronk competition hasn't seemed to help Taylor
Not Mannys fault
Taylor problems are between the ears...hard to work with that...

Taylor always has recented forcing Emanuel thru this throat ....by DiBella
Orishaman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #8
digiram
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 464
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orishaman
Taylor problems are between the ears...hard to work with that...

Taylor always has recented forcing Emanuel thru this throat ....by DiBella
Taylor seems a bit too content with the gifts that he's been receiving from the judges. I wonder if he's been blowing much?
digiram is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
conditioner101
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 756
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orishaman
After watching Vladdy's last 2 fights and Kermit blazing comeback, i have to say that the value of tough sparring competition, Gym competitiveness at Kronk is invaluable to the succes of the new pupils of Emanuel...sure he took two solid talents and re-invenvented them to minimize their flaws, and enhancing their assest...what I like to call "Kronk-izing".

At this point on his career, I see a lot of Tommy Hearns physicaly and stylsiticly on Kermit, he is looking more and more as the man to beat at 147....Paul Williams and Kermit would be a masterfull showdown of 2 opponents that match stylistcly for a Bomb of a fight, this would be equal to any Fight of the Year I can think of even more than Castillo v. Corales I...

I want to see this fight happen, and better soon than later....and how things are moving out, it might be done by default since they might be the 2 odd men out of the big $$ WW matches....with ODLH back in the mix for a petential mega fight against Cotto...
WHOA WHOA WHOA. I am a little sick of hearing about trainers taking and already established fighter and getting him a frew wins and all of the sudden this trainer gets credit for the success. Lets not forget that Kermit was 24-0 with 22 kos with his old team. Lets not forget that he ko-d Elio Ortiz, and Teddy Reid when both were "Ring Magazine" ranked top 10 welterweights. Lets not forget that Kermit was the first man to EVER knock Reid off his feet. Look at the connect percentages of Kermits opponents pre manny steward. He rarely got hit. Look at the connect percentages now... it has nearly doubled. Go look at the Reid fight and then look at any of Kermits fights since being with Manny. Kermits skills have regressed. His hand speed is not as good. Kermit lost to Margarito because he is a basket case mentally, and once personal problems creep back into his life he will suffer another implosion the same way he did against Margarito.
As for the "tough sparring?" Who Andy Lee? Kermit boxed a tall southpaw middleweight to prepare for a short orthodox welterweight? Sounds pretty stupid to me. Now I will give you the role call for who Kemit sparred under his old teams tutelage. When he was 4-0 he went into camp to spar Gatti as gatti prepared for Oscar. After that the list reads like this. Andrew Lewis (when he was champ and undefeated) Kassim Ouma (whom he dropped with single left hook) Bernard Hopkins (24 rounds total) Yusef Mack, Aslanbek Kodzoev (undefeated jr middle/middleweight at that time) Jimmy Lange, Aaron Mitchell, Steve Little, Bobby Heath, Naji Turpin,Tarvis Simms, Ian MacKillop, and Dennis Sharp.
Kermits old team took a 19 year old kid who had never boxed a day in his life and ran him to 24-0 with 22 kos, and did so in 5 years. That to me is what making a fighter is. To start from scratch. That is how it is done.
conditioner101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

well kronkizing???yea i like it it totally dig that some guys with limited or low skill level gave them the abilty abilty to make people able to box but in an exiting fighters style.
Gereld mcClellen was a puncher but had no jab or right cross,Tommy Hearns veryko punch in the amateurs only 14 i think? anyways he gave him tools that gave so many men trouble,michael moorer had alot of talent and abilty but was too timid and shy and not a typical fighter architect but manny changed it round and made him quick sharp powerful ect ect.
three cases where 3 kronk gym guys changed up there style to help them all different cases as well
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
jrios
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 181
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by conditioner101
WHOA WHOA WHOA. I am a little sick of hearing about trainers taking and already established fighter and getting him a frew wins and all of the sudden this trainer gets credit for the success. Lets not forget that Kermit was 24-0 with 22 kos with his old team. Lets not forget that he ko-d Elio Ortiz, and Teddy Reid when both were "Ring Magazine" ranked top 10 welterweights. Lets not forget that Kermit was the first man to EVER knock Reid off his feet. Look at the connect percentages of Kermits opponents pre manny steward. He rarely got hit. Look at the connect percentages now... it has nearly doubled. Go look at the Reid fight and then look at any of Kermits fights since being with Manny. Kermits skills have regressed. His hand speed is not as good. Kermit lost to Margarito because he is a basket case mentally, and once personal problems creep back into his life he will suffer another implosion the same way he did against Margarito.
As for the "tough sparring?" Who Andy Lee? Kermit boxed a tall southpaw middleweight to prepare for a short orthodox welterweight? Sounds pretty stupid to me. Now I will give you the role call for who Kemit sparred under his old teams tutelage. When he was 4-0 he went into camp to spar Gatti as gatti prepared for Oscar. After that the list reads like this. Andrew Lewis (when he was champ and undefeated) Kassim Ouma (whom he dropped with single left hook) Bernard Hopkins (24 rounds total) Yusef Mack, Aslanbek Kodzoev (undefeated jr middle/middleweight at that time) Jimmy Lange, Aaron Mitchell, Steve Little, Bobby Heath, Naji Turpin,Tarvis Simms, Ian MacKillop, and Dennis Sharp.
Kermits old team took a 19 year old kid who had never boxed a day in his life and ran him to 24-0 with 22 kos, and did so in 5 years. That to me is what making a fighter is. To start from scratch. That is how it is done.
You have to give both teams credit...his old team gets the credit for taking a fighter with no ameteur back ground and getting him as far as Margo...but then you have to give Manny Steward his credit because he took over and got him as far as a title holder (IBF)...this kid was down after his forst loss and Manny helped him get back up and win a title...Walter Mathysse was also a good opponent, one that gave Paul Williams his toughest fight and that statement came from Paul Williams himself
jrios is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 AM   #12
conditioner101
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 756
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrios
You have to give both teams credit...his old team gets the credit for taking a fighter with no ameteur back ground and getting him as far as Margo...but then you have to give Manny Steward his credit because he took over and got him as far as a title holder (IBF)...this kid was down after his forst loss and Manny helped him get back up and win a title...Walter Mathysse was also a good opponent, one that gave Paul Williams his toughest fight and that statement came from Paul Williams himself
Thats the same thing everyone said about Mcgirt and Gatti teaming up. All that was was good matchmaking. Terron Millet was already shot. Who did Gatti beat of note while under the tutelage of Mcgirt. Not to mention he has probably the worst record of any trainer right now.
As for Manny. David Estrada, Mark Suarez, and Mathysse? Cintron was close to losing against Estrada. He was obviously hurt several times. Who the heck is Suarez anyway, and who of note did Marthysse ever beat.
And, what about the "great" Jermaine Taylor? He left the team that made him and went to Manny Steward and has obviously been regressing ever since. He lost to Winky in my opinion. Granted Winky is exceptional, but still a Jr middle. Spinks beat him in my opinion and Spinks started at 140 and was ko'd by Zab and dropped how many times by Mayorga? Kassim Ouma (another jr middle) pushed him to the limit. Taylor had a stelar amateur career, was an Olympian, and was on a role under Pat Burns. Am I wrong? What has "MANNY THE GREAT" done with him.
Is Manny a bad trainer? Of course not, but he does not deserve the credit that is being heaped on him for Cintron. Marshall Kauffman and Joe Pastore made Cintron.
How can you not commend to guys that took a 19 yr old wrestler thaqt never boxed, and got him to 24-0 with 22 kos in under 5 years both amateur and pro career combined. He was ko'ing guys that were never knocked out. Dropping guys that were never dropped. Scarcely lost a round. Come on guys. Give credit where credit is due. Those guys deserve real recognition for what they did with Cintron. You could write a text book on how he was trained and brought along through his career. Like I said earlier. Go rewatch Cintron vs Ortiiz and Cintron vs Reid. Those fights were a thing of beauty. Cintron boxed flawlessly against Ortiz (Ring Magazine Top 10 at the time), and scored a more brutal ko against Ortiz than he did Mathysse. As for Reid... this is the Reid that was undefeated in all fights at 147 but one. Decision loss to Andrew Lewis. He was just as big, strong, and hard punching as Cintron. He had everything it took to push Kermit hard. Harder than anyone has to this point, and yet Kermit dominated him. Didn't lose one round, scored two knockdowns, and held Reid to an abismal connect %. Look at Cintron punch variety, his jab, his defense, his ring generalship(the constant movement to his right to avoid reids right hand) his amazing physique and condition, and what was at that time a granite chin. Those two fights are what made me a believer in Cintron.
conditioner101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:25 AM   #13
jisi
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Eifel / Germany
Posts: 6,639
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Emanuel Steward is a great trainer. If boxers want to learn, he could teach them, like Wladimir Klitschko and Kermit Cintron.
jisi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 03:28 AM   #14
1lehudson
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: boxaville
Posts: 6,399
vCash: 1000
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Kronk use to produce fighters, now it seems that Manny is only interested in training fighters that are already champions, or just about ready to fight for a title. Who was the last fighter to actaully start at Kronk and win a world title. there is a good trivia question.




PS....I dont know the answer.
1lehudson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:10 AM   #15
rayrayv123
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 704
vCash: 8540
Default Re: ** Emanuel Stewart and "Kronk-izing" a boxer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lehudson
Kronk use to produce fighters, now it seems that Manny is only interested in training fighters that are already champions, or just about ready to fight for a title. Who was the last fighter to actaully start at Kronk and win a world title. there is a good trivia question.




PS....I dont know the answer.

Not too sure on who the last was but you have two very strong possibilities in Johnathon Banks (cruiserweight) and Andy Lee (middleweight).

P.S. Obviously Lee fought as an amatuer in Ireland but didn't turn pro until he came to Detroit to train with Manny.
rayrayv123 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015