Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
Betty Swollocks
James 'Lights Out' Toney
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Hatton winding down his career

Hatton told said: "It is now about the last few goals of my career, putting the final touches to it before I hang the gloves up.
"I want to be remembered as a fans' favourite, a people's champion.
"Every step of the way, that's what I've done in my career. I don't think anyone can turn around and say 'Ricky Hatton ducked this guy'.
"I've fought some of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, won six world titles over two weight divisions and I'm coming home."
Chief among those goals are a rematch with Mayweather and a chance to top the bill at the prestigious Madison Square Garden in New York.
The Big Apple adventure is likely to be his next fight, against IBF 140lb champion Paulie Malignaggi, and he still dreams of another shot at Mayweather after that.
Fans in the United Kingdom usually have to stay up until the early hours to watch high-profile British fighters due to the demands of American television paymasters, but not on this occasion.
Hatton has opted to disappoint American TV giants HBO and promoters Golden Boy in order to ensure his fight, being shown live on Sky Box Office in the UK, is at the right time for boxing fans on this side of the Atlantic.
"It is at a fan-friendly time, an English time," he said.
"I put my contract with HBO and Golden Boy on hold so that I don't have to have it at two in the morning just to coincide with TV.
"I could have made a fair few extra quid for having it at two o'clock in the morning.
"David Haye-Enzo Maccarinelli was 2am, Joe Calzaghe's fight was 2am.
"Generally, that is what you have to do but I chose to put it on hold because I don't like the idea of 55,000 people coming to watch me at 2am."
The 29-year-old added: "It's my way of saying 'thank you', really.
"Finance is important in your career, needless to say, but some things are worth more than money. It's all about achieving my goals now and doing right by the fans.
"I'm all for the fans because I'm a fan myself."

"It's always nice to be home," Hatton said. "My last four fights have been in America and the support I have got over there has been absolutely phenomenal, 35,000 went over from England.
"I can honestly say I can't see that being bettered again by a British fighter. It makes me feel so proud.
"And not only that, it's also for the fans that have supported me from day one back in England, Great Britain and Manchester, who probably thought maybe they had lost the chance to see my fight again here live.
"They probably thought I was going to have all my remaining fights in the United States, so I think it's nice to come back.
"Not everybody can afford to fly to the US for every fight, so all my fans are going to get the chance to see Ricky Hatton, not just the ones who came to America."
As for wrangling over the time of the fight, Hatton added: "It is at a fan-friendly time, an English time.
"I put my contract with HBO and Golden Boy on hold so that I don't have to have it at two in the morning just to coincide with TV.
"It's my way of saying thank you really.
"It is now about the last few goals of my career, putting the final touches to it before I hang the gloves up.
"I want to be remembered as a fans' favourite, a people's champion.
"Every step of the way that's what I've done in my career, I don't think anyone can turn around and say 'Ricky Hatton ducked this guy'.
"I've fought some of the best pound for pound fighters in the world, won six world titles over two weight divisions, I'm coming home for a homecoming, having it at an English time.
"I'm all for the fans because I'm a fan myself."
Betty Swollocks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #2
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Default Re: Hatton winding down his career

Hatton has come up with some lame excuses of late as why not to fight Witter, i dont think for one second he is scared of him. I actually think Hatton hates him that much. But that being said i if i hated someone i would want to fight them.
KCD is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
i dont think for one second he is scared of him.
He's scared of the possibility of losing. Witter can afford to lose to Hatton, but Hatton cannot afford to lose to Witter.
Akxtinguish is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 05:14 AM   #4
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akxtinguish
He's scared of the possibility of losing. Witter can afford to lose to Hatton, but Hatton cannot afford to lose to Witter.
thats exactly right mate, give hatton his due he has fought some of the best fighters and even though its on boxz office its true about the time change thing. give the guy his due hes provided some good entertainment over the years
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Bodysnatcher
Champion
East Side Guru

edit

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 02-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Bodysnatcher is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akxtinguish
Possibly, but i honestly think as i have said before Hatton will beat Witter, and it will be alot easier than people think.

He does need to fight him, unless he fights Malignaggi in his next fight.
KCD is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 05:51 AM   #7
Akxtinguish
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Possibly, but i honestly think as i have said before Hatton will beat Witter, and it will be alot easier than people think.
I would also be geniunly surprised if Witter won it, but even the slight possibility of losing to him put's Hatton in a tight position.
Akxtinguish is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
BIG WORM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 6785

hes had a good career, it'l be sad to say good bye to him.. ill miss the ppv events fighting bums.. hes gonna fight malignaggi then get KO'd by mayweather with another 15million pounds and then retire a rich little cunt
BIG WORM is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 AM   #9
Fat Joe
Let's have it right
ESB Addict

Love to see Lazcano beat him
Fat Joe is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #10
BIG WORM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 6785

i think malignaggi could beat him
BIG WORM is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #11
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

The quicker he retires the better.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
dan-b

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
The quicker he retires the better.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
D-MAC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Joe
Love to see Lazcano beat him

Not a ****in chance; Lazcano hasn't anything left, not since Castillo brutally raped him in the second half of their fight.
D-MAC is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
onourway
Haye KTFO1 Wlad
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Will be a shame when he goes.

He's responsible for the biggest non heavyweight fight in British history. The Tszyu fight is up there too.

He's brought a lot of people to boxing, got it a lot of mainstream coverage and if he can get Mayweather over here for a fight in Wembley it will one of, if not the greatest sporting occasion Britain has seen.
onourway is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #15
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway
He's responsible for the biggest non heavyweight fight in British history. The Tszyu fight is up there too.
Biggest by what criteria?
PrideOfWales is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum