Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default WTF is happening in this video?

Watch the video. Early in the video it shows some random guy clocking Lyoto a few times and he just takes them.

Anyone know?
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Default Re: WTF is happening in this video?

Ooops. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
That looked like Antonio Inoki to me, a former pro wrestler and part-owner of K-1 Hero's I believe. My guess is it was just a stunt.
Just a stunt. Do they pull WWF type bullshit?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM   #4
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Inoki was Machida's manager at the time, and a scumbag all the time.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

Man, that fight kind of sucked, by the 2nd round Penn seemed to run completley out of stamina and just plodded around the ring. Machida showed no willingness to fight and just backtracked most of the time throwing slow punches and weak leg kicks.
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #6
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
Man, that fight kind of sucked, by the 2nd round Penn seemed to run completley out of stamina and just plodded around the ring. Machida showed no willingness to fight and just backtracked most of the time throwing slow punches and weak leg kicks.
What was mind blowing is Penn mostly trying to make the fight. Which madness considered he is clearly the smaller man.

The only reason Machida was avoiding some take downs, kds etc is because he was bigger and stronger.

I can see why Machida isn't that famous despite his record.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:22 AM   #7
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

If he couldn't knock out/down a blown up 155'er (despite one as talented as Penn)
I don't see him knocking out Shogun, with Machida constant backtracking and defensive fighting I can see Shogun just swallowing him up and tearing through him.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
His record is good, but not what everyone makes it out to be. He beat a WW in Penn by close decision, says A LOT more about Penn than it does Machida. Beat a greener Franklin(still a pretty good win), beat a greener Bonnar(not that good a win), and beat two known K-1 kickboxers with little MMA training in McDonald and Greco, and he couldn't even finish Greco. The guy has skills, but a lot of his record is based on name recognition than actual top notch opposition.
When I first looked at his record I thought this guy was the nuts. He had to be. But like you say, you got to look a little closer. I am still only judging him off of this fight though. Looked like a close call against a man who was visibly smaller and hadn't even trained up to the weight - he just didn't train by the looks of it.

Man, if Penn actually concentrated 100% on his game, you know he might be undefeated. Was watching him v Gomi and Pulver 2 yesterday.

Penn needs to be called the octupus, chimpanzee or some shit like that. When he holds you, he is all over you and his body has such dexterity that guys like Hughes, Pulver, Gomi have trouble getting out. BOOM he is on your back and you are in a hold.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 AM   #9
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

If Penn actually ever trained on conditioning for fights, his proper weight would be about 155, since he wants to fight at higher weight classes he piles on the pounds.

He could lift weights but perhaps he thinks that will slow him down even more than gaining fat?
Who knows.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #10
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Quote:
His record is good, but not what everyone makes it out to be. He beat a WW in Penn by close decision, says A LOT more about Penn than it does Machida. Beat a greener Franklin(still a pretty good win),
A greener Franklin? Umm, No.
Machida was even greener. It was Machidas 3rd ever fight and in his first year of fighting.
It was Fraklins 14th fight and in his 3rd year od fighting.

That is a very good win.
But apart from that all his other wins have been average. He hasn't looked really impressive in them against any opponent bar Franklin.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #11
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Benn's flexibility and ground intuitiveness is amazing. His ground skills are the best in MMA I'd say, although there are some better pure grapplers out there. He's one of few guys that you actually want to see on the ground because his skills are so far beyond anyone else's.
Generally I think for a fighters ground game the fighter needs to know a bit of everything. The four main types of wrestling (freestyle, greco, sambo and judo) and the two main types of JJ (BJJ and JJJ).

In saying that though, BJP with his BJJ looks to trump all this. To my knowledge he mainly trains in BJJ and we've seen him beat a black belt guy in Judo and out do Hughes who is a bigger wrestler.

I think BJP mind set works better with BJJ. He doesn't want to outstrength someone. He wants to out skill them and use their body as their own worse enemy.

A joy to watch when he is on form. To be honest he often makes me feel sorry for the guys he is fighting. When you watch UFC you are continously thinking the guy in trouble should do this or that. When you see someone fighting Penn, he'll often make you think 'he's ****ed, I don't know what the hell the guy can do now'. This is partially what I was thinking when watching him v Gomi and Pulver. Top guys, just looking helpless.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum