OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: boxers who fought with one hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendog67
and had successful careers?

i was watching henry cooper footage, and seen quite a few fights and he never seems to through a right hand, and this gave ali quite big problems in their meeting which really shocked me!

can anyone think of many others who managed to use this kind of style well?
Eddie Machen

Ingemar Johansson

Gregorio Peralta
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
LaMotta.
Wow, great choice. That friggin' left hook, over and over and over...
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid
Wow, great choice. That friggin' left hook, over and over and over...
If had wanted to....in his prime Larry Holmes could have won 95%
of his fights with his left jab.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #20
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Sporting Magazine (September 1796):

Sept. 22. A battle was fought at Beadon Well, near Erith, in Kent, between Chap-man, a young man born without arms, and Knight, a blacksmith, of Woolwich, a noted fighter. The contest lasted near an hour, during which time Chapman so well played his part, both with head and heels that his antagonist was taken off the field of battle with two broken ribs.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

John Coteh is the definition of a left handed fighter.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #22
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7
John Coteh is the definition of a left handed fighter.
Yes, he won that title defense aginst Yaqui Lopez virtually with the left. He injured his right hand prior to the fight and just jabbed and moved all night against Yaqui. He won clearly as well.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #23
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
Willie Pastrano
Ralph Dupas
Howard Davis, Jr.
Tony DeMarco
Joe Miceli
Ah yes, Willie Pastrano!! I feel almost guilty in saying that he was one of my alltime favorites in any division. What an underrated guy he was, with that easy going, playboy thing he had going and all. He could, according to a writer once "he could tattoo his name and address on an opponent's face with that left jab of his"... he displayed unexpected power in that last successful defense against Terry Downes, but I'm not sure it was the left or the right. Probably the left, as he just didn't need that right of his. The Pastrano-Johnson bout was between two of my favorite technician/jabbers. Pastrano, as well as Harold Johnson are criminally overlooked when it comes to discussing great boxers/jabbers/with great defenses. Willie is also stiffed when the talk is about great chins, as he only went down once in his entire career, and that was in his very last fight against Jose Torres, and THAT was from a body punch, ..to the liver to be precise. Now Willie lost his share of fights when he wasn't in shape, so you can't just explain away his not being decked on just his fast legs alone, as he didn't always have those fast legs when he wasn't in shape. He must have had a great chin, thats all, because no head shot ever put him down.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2008, 08:17 AM   #24
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra
Ah yes, Willie Pastrano!! I feel almost guilty in saying that he was one of my alltime favorites in any division. What an underrated guy he was, with that easy going, playboy thing he had going and all. He could, according to a writer once "he could tattoo his name and address on an opponent's face with that left jab of his"... he displayed unexpected power in that last successful defense against Terry Downes, but I'm not sure it was the left or the right. Probably the left, as he just didn't need that right of his. The Pastrano-Johnson bout was between two of my favorite technician/jabbers. Pastrano, as well as Harold Johnson are criminally overlooked when it comes to discussing great boxers/jabbers/with great defenses. Willie is also stiffed when the talk is about great chins, as he only went down once in his entire career, and that was in his very last fight against Jose Torres, and THAT was from a body punch, ..to the liver to be precise. Now Willie lost his share of fights when he wasn't in shape, so you can't just explain away his not being decked on just his fast legs alone, as he didn't always have those fast legs when he wasn't in shape. He must have had a great chin, thats all, because no head shot ever put him down.
How many times have you replayed Pastrano/Johnson and Griffith/Archer II on youtube? (Always a pleasant way to pass some idle time!)
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #25
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy
Can anybody name boxers who fought primarily with the right hand out of an orthodox position?
Upon reflection, perhaps a case could be made for Coetzee and Ingo among the heavyweights. They were so right hand oriented that they completely threw off Dokes and Patterson respectively with their unexpected use of the left jab in setting up their title wins.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #26
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

razor ruddock was a one handed fighter.

I think the term is overrated, as a lot of these guys used the other hand, but since the other one was so good that you kind of don't notice when they used the other one.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #27
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Best ever 1 handed performance

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #28
MGUNZ48
MGunz
ESB Full Member

I always thought John Conteh was pretty good considering he really only ever used his left hand.
MGUNZ48 is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #29
Nysouthpaw

Hello All,
I am new to this site and love what I am getting into!
I am working on a documentary film that has been a project of passion for me for some time. It is about Jews and there part in the great sport of boxing.
Mainly this film will cover between the First and the Second World Wars, but will also include some boxers after this time as well as before this time.

Here is a link to the Trailer I have put together so far, if you have time, please take a look and let me know what you think:

Since making this trailer, I have interviewed a few other people, which is one of the reasons I am here. One of those interviews was Herbie Kronowitz. Here is a link to a segment I put together from his interview:

As you can also see, I have interviewed Budd Schulberg. I have gotten a "Yes" from Dmitriy Salita and Yuri Foreman as well as Bert Sugar and even Dana Rosenblatt. I have spoken to Saul Mamby and a few other people I am excited to interview and put in this amazing project.

The footage in the Kronowitz segment other then the obvious ones, is not Herbie. I am sorry to the person looking for footage. I am also on the hunt for any footage of Jews who were boxers. I am hping some one here may have a lead for me to find that as well as other visuals I can use. I am also looking for any help or input any of you very passionate members may have, and want to share.

I am hoping this documentary while all about Jews, will serve all American Immigrants who fought, and shared this sport.

Please feel free to contact me with any help on any of this!

Thanks so much.

Nysouthpaw
Nysouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #30
pryorgatti
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dlh
Gatti
pryorgatti is offline  Top