Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 AM   #46
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Is that a joke? Hatton's been "so safety first"!!!

Junior Witter is 34 years old and has fought nowhere near the level of competition that Hatton has.
I wouldn't say nowhere near, take away two of Hatton's opponents and their level of comp is about the same. Who's he fought other than Tszyu and Mayweather? Collazo? The difference is Witter is a guy who nobody wants to fight. Hatton has a golden ticket, everybody wants to fight him because he has a big fanbase and he can cherrypick and he has done and continues to, Witter has to take whatever fights he can get. Maybe if Witter's dad had played for wednesday or united the roles would be reversed-who's to say.
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #47
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassie
I wouldn't say nowhere near, take away two of Hatton's opponents and their level of comp is about the same. Who's he fought other than Tszyu and Mayweather? Collazo? The difference is Witter is a guy who nobody wants to fight. Hatton has a golden ticket, everybody wants to fight him because he has a big fanbase and he can cherrypick and he has done and continues to, Witter has to take whatever fights he can get. Maybe if Witter's dad had played for wednesday or united the roles would be reversed-who's to say.
Well if we do that the other way round and take away two of Witter's opponents - he's fought absolutely nobody!
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #48
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Well if we do that the other way round and take away two of Witter's opponents - he's fought absolutely nobody!
Ok, take away three of Hatton's opponents and he's fought absolutely nobody and one of them was shot to bits. Regardless, who's the one ducking the fight?

Edit: is Collazo any better than N'Dou? both gatekeeper types, one gave Cotto an argument the other got battered by Mosely. Are Urango or Maussa better than Corley and Harris? Not really. Maussa beat Harris but Corley was better than him or Urango. I'm struggling to come up with more names now for either of them unless it be a 40 year old Vince Phillips for a wbu bauble, i.e a guarantee'd win before it's even signed. Are we going to argue whether Rios is better than Lynes or what?
I don't think it's a point you can push, take away Tszyu and Hatton's best wins aren't any better than Witters.
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 AM   #49
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassie
Ok, take away three of Hatton's opponents and he's fought absolutely nobody and one of them was shot to bits. Regardless, who's the one ducking the fight?
Who's the one who NEEDS the fight. Who's the one who has bigger things to worry about.
Witter's desperation is pathetic.
Take away three of Hatton's opponents and he's still beat two world champions. Take away one Witter opponent and he's beat none. If you take away fights, Hatton wins however many we take off.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #50
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

What bigger fights does he have to worry about? Mayweather? That's a loss for a lot of money, he may as well fight Klitschko. Shouldn't happen, no reason for it. DelaHoya? probably won't happen anyway and certainly shouldn't happen otherwise we may as well all forget boxing and watch celebrity deathmatch instead. Who else....Cotto at welter? won't happen, unwinnable and they'll never take it unless mayweathersized wad of money is on the table and it isn't.....malinaggi, bigger than Witter?....nope......who else exactly?
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #51
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Who's the one who NEEDS the fight. Who's the one who has bigger things to worry about.
Witter's desperation is pathetic.
Take away three of Hatton's opponents and he's still beat two world champions. Take away one Witter opponent and he's beat none. If you take away fights, Hatton wins however many we take off.
Actually he's beaten one and Witter's beaten none. Their comp is about the same other than tzsyu and there are no bigger fights at lightwelter.
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #52
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassie
What bigger fights does he have to worry about? Mayweather? That's a loss for a lot of money, he may as well fight Klitschko. Shouldn't happen, no reason for it. DelaHoya? probably won't happen anyway and certainly shouldn't happen otherwise we may as well all forget boxing and watch celebrity deathmatch instead. Who else....Cotto at welter? won't happen, unwinnable and they'll never take it unless mayweathersized wad of money is on the table and it isn't.....malinaggi, bigger than Witter?....nope......who else exactly?
What fight are people talking about for Witter... just Hatton. That fight is the sole purpose for Witter's life.

What fights are people talking about for Hatton... Malignaggi, Witter, Pacqiauo, Mayweather II... He has other things besides Witter, clearly.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 AM   #53
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
What fight are people talking about for Witter... just Hatton. That fight is the sole purpose for Witter's life.

What fights are people talking about for Hatton... Malignaggi, Witter, Pacqiauo, Mayweather II... He has other things besides Witter, clearly.
What's he supposed to do then? Being a name is a matter of luck (amongst other things). Look at a guy like Marquez, he wasn't a massive name before he fought Pacquiao, which lead to Bareera which lead to pacquiao 2....it only takes one ducking to sideline a guy's career

You seem to just want Hatton to make the most money and not take the best fights for the sport. Pacquiao wouldn't stand a chance of beating Hatton but they can make money off it so it's ok? Hatton won one round from Mayweather on any sensible scorecard and will be similarly thrashed if they fight again, but they can make money off it so it's ok? Is that your reasoning? Alright, If Witter's so crap that he doesn't deserve a shot based on talent, why not use him as a tune up in England instead of Lazcano? Do you really think more people will turn up to see a lightweight most of them have never heard of get beaten all around the ring than for the biggest grudge match in the country?
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #54
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassie
You seem to just want Hatton to make the most money and not take the best fights for the sport. Pacquiao wouldn't stand a chance of beating Hatton but they can make money off it so it's ok? Hatton won one round from Mayweather on any sensible scorecard and will be similarly thrashed if they fight again, but they can make money off it so it's ok? Is that your reasoning? Alright, If Witter's so crap that he doesn't deserve a shot based on talent, why not use him as a tune up in England instead of Lazcano? Do you really think more people will turn up to see a lightweight most of them have never heard of get beaten all around the ring than for the biggest grudge match in the country?
Witter isn't crap, I'm a big fan. Never said any different.

And I don't want Hatton to make the most money, I don't care what he does. If the Witter fight happens I'll look forward to it. If the Pacquaio fight happens I'll look forward to that freakshow. My point is why does Hatton need to fight Witter and he's a c*nt if he doesn't? I don't get it, it's just a fight that's out there for him among others.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #55
PaddyD1983
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 3,467
vCash: 324
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler
I'm confused by the term 'Witter fans', explain please.
PaddyD1983 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:57 AM   #56
mrbassie
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
Witter isn't crap, I'm a big fan. Never said any different.

And I don't want Hatton to make the most money, I don't care what he does. If the Witter fight happens I'll look forward to it. If the Pacquaio fight happens I'll look forward to that freakshow. My point is why does Hatton need to fight Witter and he's a c*nt if he doesn't? I don't get it, it's just a fight that's out there for him among others.
Well, never called him a cunt so.....
He needs to fight Witter for respect, if he doesn't it will always be mentioned that he ducked him whenever anyone talks about Hatton in perpetuity, forever. That's one reason. Another is that they're the two best fighters in the division, the fight should have happened years ago when they weren't, instead of Rios, instead of Pederson, instead of Stephen Smith, Joe Hutchinson, Vilches. All hiding to nothing fights while the best other fighter in the country was calling for him. Benn could have bowled over loads of welters instead of fighting Eubank and built his following until there was enough money on the table to make a fight with Nunn but he didn't.
I'm not just picking on Hatton; I think it's deplorable the way boxing is run, whether it's Hatton ducking Witter or Mayweather ducking Cotto and Margarito. Hatton is just closer to home so easier to talk about.
Essentially though, he should take the fight because it's what the real fans in this country want to see, otherwise why are there threads on every forum about it every day?
mrbassie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #57
SleazeNation
Coal Black Horse
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,053
vCash: 1937
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
It's the only fight that makes sense for Hatton to prove he's a top LWW. In his last two fights he hasn't fought a natural LWW - he actually got beaten by a man who started off lighter than him and thumped a man who's weight-drained at anything other than WW now. Yet he still claims his no.1 spot on that table?

What a joke. Witter is a genuine no.1 contender to the LWW top spot - more so that malignaggi. Yet you think a Malignaggi fight means more?

What a crock of shit.
In his last two fights HE BEAT THE #1 RANKED LIGHT WELTERWEIGHT. and fought the p4p #1.
Get over it, Witter has been #1 contender for less than a year, and he's only there because Hatton beat the #1 two fights ago.
SleazeNation is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #58
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Posts: 11,319
vCash: 15000
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
It's the only fight that makes sense for Hatton to prove he's a top LWW. In his last two fights he hasn't fought a natural LWW - he actually got beaten by a man who started off lighter than him and thumped a man who's weight-drained at anything other than WW now. Yet he still claims his no.1 spot on that table?
Yes. That's how boxing works. You can look at any stretch in a fighters career when they moved up/down in weight, and maintained the status of champion at the original weight. Bob Foster moved up to heavyweight yet was considered the man at light heavyweight. Wilfredo Gomez was the man at 122lbs, Calzaghe at 168lbs and so on.

Hatton haters seem to always suspect double standard. If you read up on your history, you'll see these things are repeated constantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
What a joke. Witter is a genuine no.1 contender to the LWW top spot - more so that malignaggi. Yet you think a Malignaggi fight means more?
Yes.

Answer me three questions, please.

Which fight means more?

1. Kessler vs. Green or Kessler vs. Taylor?
2. Cotto vs. Williams or Cotto vs. Margarito?
3. Casamayor vs. David Diaz or Casamayor vs. Juan Diaz?

Aside from the fact that Malignaggi is a better fighter and a fight with Hatton would mean more than one with Witter, look at the financial side of it. Ignore the fact it's Hatton/Witter for a second and grasp the numbers.

Malignaggi is a better fighter than Witter and a fight with him brings in more money.
Jack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #59
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: trying to increase my overdraft....
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 75
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Guys - you both make emotive arguments, and I am sure there is a lot of keyboard rage in your respective offices.

But please, calm down.

1. Hatton doesn't need Witter, but Witter needs Hatton.
2. There are bigger fights out there for Hatton than Witter.

However - Witter is Hatton's No. 1 contender, and thus, the fight should go ahead.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM   #60
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: trying to increase my overdraft....
Posts: 23,338
vCash: 75
Default Re: I understand Hatton fans now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Aside from the fact that Malignaggi is a better fighter and a fight with Hatton would mean more than one with Witter, look at the financial side of it. Ignore the fact it's Hatton/Witter for a second and grasp the numbers.

Malignaggi is a better fighter than Witter and a fight with him brings in more money.
Two points - one and one

I will leave you to decide which is which.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013