Old 07-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Darnell "Ding-a-ling" Wilson Vs. Guillermo Jones

Quote:
Not power or stamina wise.

Nwodo didn't throw as many punches as he usually does because he was leary of my counter punching ability. He actually called me on the phone last week and we talked about our fight.
Jones has superior stamina for sure and has more proven power than Nwodo against higher level opposition. Jones throws a ton of punches for a Cruiser, he seriously outworked Johnny Nelson and overwhelmed Braithwaite, who was still a top 5 guy at the time. He also buzzed and stopped Davis at at time when he was still a top contender.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #18
Ding
Champ
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracho
That would be great and I believe what you say. The only thing us fans can do is keep complaining about the rankings but I would be calling Don King (Jone's promoter) or Cunningham's promoter. Your coming to these forums also shows a lot of courage and has worked well in my opinion.

Dino Duva is pushing extremely hard for the Cunningham fight right now. It partially depends on whether or not the Oleg/Peter fight comes off on the said date.
Ding is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #19
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding
Dino Duva is pushing extremely hard for the Cunningham fight right now. It partially depends on whether or not the Oleg/Peter fight comes off on the said date.
Cool! Cunningham may be the fastest most dangerous cruiser out there but you have the power and chin to win and all you need is the ability to put on constant overwelming pressure. I know you've heard this a hundred times but just in case I would go to any means to improve add the weapon of stamina including reading all available literature, consulting all available sports doctors and trainers, and eating right. There are tons of sites like this one [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that I have not read yet but seems interesting. I just got some tea called yerba Mate thats has all the endurance qualities of tea and coffee yet is not supposed to give any tension (last thing you want with an experienced fighter). There are all kinds of tropical fruits and berries that are good to but I forget their names off hand. I have been hearing alot about pourridge. Just experiment and see what foods work . Varied and strenuos jumping excersises work both the lungs and legs.
maracho is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #20
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Guillermo Jones is a very good boxer but I don't think he would have beaten the pre-Mormeck version of Braithwaite. Big Truck had proven his heart in his fights but he had lost much confidence : the first defeat is something in a boxing career (I imagine it's worse in a unification fight !). Jones is experienced and he had been Mormeck's sparring for Braithwaite : he knew exactly what he had to do. He was the worst possible opponent for a come back fight and the end of the fight was a bit strange...
Fitir is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 07:50 AM   #21
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Ding is on a good streak, needs a title fight, Jones is good, but inactive, Ding has a exciting style and would bring it to the crusiers,Haye is not known in the U.S. nor Enzo but bring on Mormeck or make Jones fight for a title
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #22
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Most fans like sprit over technique and thats mainly why Ding and Mormeck are popular now so you are obviously just biased against the better boxer Jones for secret reasons.

Cunningham and Jones are two of the best technical boxers in the devision but great boxing skills aint the only thing that got them were they are or rather should be. Look where Braithwaite's superior boxing skills got him.
Sorry I watched his fight against Braithwaite and I wasn't surprised at all.

Plus, the poor man seemed to have some stamina issues. His win over Wayne was a prematured stoppage and since he got a terrible cramp right after the end of the 4th round, I have no doubt Braithwaite would have beaten him if the ref let the fight continue.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #23
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sorry I watched his fight against Braithwaite and I wasn't surprised at all.

Plus, the poor man seemed to have some stamina issues. His win over Wayne was a prematured stoppage and since he got a terrible cramp right after the end of the 4th round, I have no doubt Braithwaite would have beaten him if the ref let the fight continue.
Cramps have nothing to do with stamina issues. Jones at 200 pounds has ability to throw a large volume of punches over the distance. He did it against Tim Williamson in searing heat, badly outworked Sione Asipelli, Johnny Nelson, and even Braithwaite despite the cramping issues.

Jones may be too old now and he's been inactive, but he's a very underrated fighter--awkward, hard to get inside on, throws punches at odd angles, and has power in the right hand. Noone has ever convincingly beaten the guy.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
Ding
Champ
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Cool! Cunningham may be the fastest most dangerous cruiser out there but you have the power and chin to win and all you need is the ability to put on constant overwelming pressure. I know you've heard this a hundred times but just in case I would go to any means to improve add the weapon of stamina including reading all available literature, consulting all available sports doctors and trainers, and eating right. There are tons of sites like this one [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] that I have not read yet but seems interesting. I just got some tea called yerba Mate thats has all the endurance qualities of tea and coffee yet is not supposed to give any tension (last thing you want with an experienced fighter). There are all kinds of tropical fruits and berries that are good to but I forget their names off hand. I have been hearing alot about pourridge. Just experiment and see what foods work . Varied and strenuos jumping excersises work both the lungs and legs.

I was speaking with a strength and conditioning trainer and he mentioned some of the same things. Thanks alot for your help. For my next fights, I will finally have real training camps which include some much needed top level sparring as well.
Ding is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #25
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru

Ding -

I rate Guillermo Jones quite well, he's awkward and can fight in and out and has shown a sturdy jaw so far. What round do you think you'd get him in?

Also, who do you have for Wayne vs. Enzo this weekend? I'm taking Wayne.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #26
Ding
Champ
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Ding -

I rate Guillermo Jones quite well, he's awkward and can fight in and out and has shown a sturdy jaw so far. What round do you think you'd get him in?

Also, who do you have for Wayne vs. Enzo this weekend? I'm taking Wayne.

I think this is an extremely exciting fight based on their styles and flaws, and pretty suprised it hasn't been hyped up more.
Ding is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanuel_augustus
Guillermo clearly beat Johnny Nelson for the WBO title and was robbed. By all accounts he beat Cunningham too.

He could still win a belt at Cruiser.
Clear? Did you even see the fight? It was a shocking mess.One of the worst fights iv ever seen.Jones work was hardly much better and yes Nelson did get a home town draw but the there was no way he beat him clearly.The fight stunk.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #28
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think this is an extremely exciting fight based on their styles and flaws, and pretty suprised it hasn't been hyped up more.
I hear you have a computer firm of some sort? Whats it Ding enterprises or something like that? Maybe we could hook up.Im around your size and could do with some good sparring and could fix your PC`s aswell!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #29
maracho
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I was speaking with a strength and conditioning trainer and he mentioned some of the same things. Thanks alot for your help. For my next fights, I will finally have real training camps which include some much needed top level sparring as well.
Your welcome
maracho is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #30
teetop
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
I tell you what, get a contract between him and I for a title fight eliminator on showtime or hbo and you will be amazed at how fast I'll sign.

Btw when he fought kelvin davis, davis suffered a torn left bicep and couldn't use his arm, albeit jones did stun him good in the final seconds of the 3rd round.
Ding! Your back. Welcome. No other recognized world class fighter
comes to chat with us common folk. So thanks for hangin' out. Just
think we have a future world champ hangin' out with us shootin' the
shit like jesus did the disciples.
By the buy, great highlight reel shite a few weeks back. That was some
scary stuff man. I wanna see you in with the winner of mormeck/haye.
Laters.
teetop is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum