Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Would Jimmy Young have any sort of a chance against a peak Tyson?

I find this to be a good question, because Jimmy Young was a fighter who made a career out of making great fighters look unimpressive. The issue however, is that we never really saw how he could do against someone who swarmed, crouched, lowered his center of gravity or was a composite puncher. Perhaps we might have had a better guage, had he fought someone like Joe Frazier, ( even though Frazier was not exacly Tyson's comparable in terms of style. )

In either case, I would not pick Young to upset Tyson at his very best, or even when he was just a notch below.. But, what do YOU think? Could Young have finaggled his way to see the final bell and perhaps lose a close decision, while making Tyson look unimpressive? Do you see any chance for an upset? Or is this another early round victim?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166
Default Re: Would Jimmy Young have any sort of a chance against a peak Tyson?

I dont think so...Apparently Shavers started fast against him in both their bouts, stopping him once and nearly stopping him early in the draw they had.

On paper I see your point...but Mike is just a different kettle of fish to the guys Jimmy made look bad.
WhataRock is online now  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
I dont think so...Apparently Shavers started fast against him in both their bouts, stopping him once and nearly stopping him early in the draw they had.

On paper I see your point...but Mike is just a different kettle of fish to the guys Jimmy made look bad.

That was kind of my hesitation as well, although I have never seen either of his fights with Shavers. Foreman, Norton, Lyle, Shavers, and yes even an aging Ali, were all exellent examples of how Young could really be a pain for a great fighter to beat. A prime Tyson from the point of the Berbick match to pehaps the Spinks fight would have been a dangerous proposition for Young.. The best outcome I could possibly see is him surviving to last the distance in similar fashion to the way that Tucker did.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
I am Legion
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

None at all. KO 1 most likely. Look what Cooney did to him.
I am Legion is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Legion View Post
None at all. KO 1 most likely. Look what Cooney did to him.

The Cooney fight should have no comparative baring on this match-up.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #6
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

He could have done a similar job that 'Quick' Tillis did. Young was slick, defensive and extremely difficult to stop.
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
He could have done a similar job that 'Quick' Tillis did. Young was slick, defensive and extremely difficult to stop.
and michael spinks wasn't ? jimmy young was stopped by shavers.
tyson quicker , more skilled , better chin than shavers. jimmy young a perfect victim for tyson. KO1 , maybe KO2 , young will not last 8 rounds with tyson.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
tyson quicker , more skilled , better chin than shavers. jimmy young a perfect victim for tyson. KO1 , maybe KO2 , young will not last 8 rounds with tyson.
Young was a novice when he was stopped by Shavers. Spinks was no Jimmy Young.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post

As GreatA as already told you, Jimmy Young was 7-3 when he fought Shavers. They rematched, when Young had several more fights, and fought to a draw that some felt Young had won.

You have to know something about boxing.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Young fought the likes of George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Ron Lyle, Michael Dokes, Greg Page, Ken Norton, Muhammad Ali, Gerry Cooney, Tony Tucker, Tony Tubbs, Jeff Sims, Roy Williams, Jose Luis Gracia yet he was only knocked down against a single opponent, possibly the hardest puncher ever in Earnie Shavers. This despite being old and completely out of shape in many of those fights. Hardly a perfect victim to be KO'd in just one round.

You better believe that all the survival tactics James Tillis, Bonecrusher Smith, Mitch Green, Tony Tucker used to last the distance against Tyson, Young would be using as well and even more so. As Jimmy described himself, he was a "survivor". A win was bonus.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Young fought the likes of George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Ron Lyle, Michael Dokes, Greg Page, Ken Norton, Muhammad Ali, Gerry Cooney, Tony Tucker, Tony Tubbs, Jeff Sims, Roy Williams, Jose Luis Gracia yet he was only knocked down against a single opponent, possibly the hardest puncher ever in Earnie Shavers. This despite being old and completely out of shape in many of those fights. Hardly a perfect victim to be KO'd in just one round.

You better believe that all the survival tactics James Tillis, Bonecrusher Smith, Mitch Green, Tony Tucker used to last the distance against Tyson, Young would be using as well and even more so. As Jimmy described himself, he was a "survivor". A win was bonus.

Your answer, is my thinking exactly, and precisely why I started this thread. Frankly, I think that Young could have outpointed the unmotivated Tyson on the night that he fought Douglas, while perhaps surviving the distance to lose a decision against the one who beat Spinks.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

I don't know, i think he could last the distance, but his lack of punching power and agression would be a problem. Maybe somewhat similar to Byrd: he'd be able to make Tyson look stupid at times, but unable to mount any kind of serious offense that would get Tyson's respect. Young beat Foreman because the latter was slow and technically limited. Tyson is neither of those and that would make the difference.

It's a styles thing. Although i think Tyson can beat Frazier, i doubt he'd do it as easily as Foreman did, but at the same time, i doubt Tyson would fall for Ali's rope a dope like Foreman did - regardless of whether he'd win that one.

Douglas wasn't a big puncher, but he was very aggressive and never ran from Tyson. Plus, he's a 6'4 235lbs in shape, athletic man. Young barely scaled over 200lbs and never scored a knockout over a noteworthy opponent, if i recall correct.

I rate Young high, but i think the best he can do is go the full 12 in a buttugly fight.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I like Jimmy alot, he seems to a forgotten Philly guy..even in PHILLY unfortunately!

Having said that he would be tested in this bout. Alot depends on Jimmy's approach going into this, he was a self described survivor as some on here have pointed out, and that seems to be the positive for getting him through this one. He has skills that imo are above the likes of Tillis and green, and they survived albeit 10 rds against Tyson. So the round limit could be a crucial element at 10 rds his chances for survival certainly go up, at 12 rds it will be severly tested...15 is the big ? as Tyson never had the benifit of the 15 rd limit, and questions would exist as to what Tyson of rds 13-15 looks like! With the right approach Young could certainly last 10-12 rds with Tyson, but it is no foregone conclussion that he would not be in danger at various points and possibly get taken out. For my money if that was his approach I believe him to be slick enough to pull this out..in speaking only of survival.

In having a chance, I assume you mean more than survival but more along the lines can he pull out a win??? I am not sure as much as I like Jimmy that I can envision anyway he can. The more aggressive he becomes, the more open he will be to Tyson's power. I don't believe that Young would have tyson fearful of a ko going the other way, and don't see Young being able to out point him.

Tyson by an 8-2 or 9-3 type decision, with an early or late ko looming as a possibility!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

to win , no.
he grant is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #15
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I find this to be a good question, because Jimmy Young was a fighter who made a career out of making great fighters look unimpressive. The issue however, is that we never really saw how he could do against someone who swarmed, crouched, lowered his center of gravity or was a composite puncher. Perhaps we might have had a better guage, had he fought someone like Joe Frazier, ( even though Frazier was not exacly Tyson's comparable in terms of style. )

In either case, I would not pick Young to upset Tyson at his very best, or even when he was just a notch below.. But, what do YOU think? Could Young have finaggled his way to see the final bell and perhaps lose a close decision, while making Tyson look unimpressive? Do you see any chance for an upset? Or is this another early round victim?
Naw......... Young has no chance of winning, however, he might survive and win a few rds like Jim Tillis did with a "Green" Tyson on '86........ A peak Tyson KO's Young..........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum