Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Smokin'Joe100
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Has anyone ever scored Ali-Norton trilogy...

As three draws? I have after watching the first fight as each time i watch it and all the ali norton fights i score them slightly different. I think Ali did great in fighting through the broken jaw, and norton did well to just get the job done. In thier 3rd fight, i nearly always have it even going into the final round, which i believe Ali won save for a good last 25 secs from Norton.

Has anyone else scored the trilogy three draws? Draws are rare in boxing, but these 3 fights are so close i could see it as being a possibility.
Smokin'Joe100 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 AM   #2
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Has anyone ever scored Ali-Norton trilogy...

Despite being a huge Ali fan, I had Norton winning two.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake
Despite being a huge Ali fan, I had Norton winning two.

Same here.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #4
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I need to rewatch the last 2 but I had Ali winning 2 fights.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

I have it 1-1 in the first two. Haven't watched the third for ages.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

3-0 Norton............
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
fg2227
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ali WITHOUT question won the 2nd.
fg2227 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #8
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg2227
Ali WITHOUT question won the 2nd.
Yes, but he needed round 12 to get the win IMHO...
jowcol is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I gave the first and third to Norton and the second to Ali.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I actually viewed the complete first two matches of their trilogy after getting drawn into ESB a few months ago. I think the scoring of both matches was what it should have been. Each boxer swept the first several rounds of the bout they won. I was surprised that Ali was as competitive as he was in the first contest. In the rematch, Norton started out by continually advancing, but hardly throwing any punches, while the retreating Ali kept his hands busy enough outscore Norton. The rounds Ken won later in the fight were taken handily, but not handily enough to merit receiving more than one point, as the commentators suggested (or by more than one point on a ten point must system).

While both of the first two meetings were close, I felt that the winner of most individual rounds was clear.

Although I agreed with the judges who selected the winner each time, I also agree that a split decision was an accurate reflection of how close they were. I also think Norton would have taken the second fight if he'd opened up on Muhammad a bit. He let the rematch slip away as much as Ali won it.

I've never viewed the third fight in it's entirely.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
Smokin'Joe100
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum
I actually viewed the complete first two matches of their trilogy after getting drawn into ESB a few months ago. I think the scoring of both matches was what it should have been. Each boxer swept the first several rounds of the bout they won. I was surprised that Ali was as competitive as he was in the first contest. In the rematch, Norton started out by continually advancing, but hardly throwing any punches, while the retreating Ali kept his hands busy enough outscore Norton. The rounds Ken won later in the fight were taken handily, but not handily enough to merit receiving more than one point, as the commentators suggested (or by more than one point on a ten point must system).

While both of the first two meetings were close, I felt that the winner of most individual rounds was clear.

Although I agreed with the judges who selected the winner each time, I also agree that a split decision was an accurate reflection of how close they were. I also think Norton would have taken the second fight if he'd opened up on Muhammad a bit. He let the rematch slip away as much as Ali won it.

I've never viewed the third fight in it's entirely.
The third fight is a must see. At this point in his career, Ali has been robbed of most of his power, his speed on the decline and his workrate in the gym on the wane. All he'd done was become reliant on his ringcraft to pull him through, and normally taking a fair few punches on the way. But because he was up against Norton, and was paid $6 mil, he got his ass into the best shape he could. At the fight, Norton comes straight out of the blocks and after 7 rounds is well ahead. Ali and his camp by this point is starting to shit themselves and Ali just starts to nick rounds with bursts of effort and tying Norton up. from the 9th till through the 14th he loses one round in my opinion. This means that they go into the 15th dead level. Now Ali is told by his corner to go and fight for 3 mins full on because he needs that round to win. Norton is told that he is comfortably ahead, and to keep out of trouble.
So Ali comes out and controls the ring for 2 and a half mins, before norton senses something is up and comes on stronger in the last 30 secs, but in my view he had already lost the round.

I think Norton was the fitter man at that point, and if he had been given the same advice as Ali, to go out and fight full on, he would have outpunched him and took the round easy. But because he coasted he threw away the last round and the fight.
Smokin'Joe100 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

The 3rd fight was painfully close and could have gone either way. Though a lot of people seem to think Norton was robbed.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
The 3rd fight was painfully close and could have gone either way. Though a lot of people seem to think Norton was robbed.
True.

I scored it for Norton in the first fight, Ali won the second comfortably. The third is probably the hardest one to judge. Having only watched the third fight once I seem to remember scoring it as the narrowest of Ali wins (7-6-2, or summit).

A really close trilogy to call, though.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 02:00 PM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Joe100
The third fight is a must see. At this point in his career, Ali has been robbed of most of his power, his speed on the decline and his workrate in the gym on the wane. All he'd done was become reliant on his ringcraft to pull him through, and normally taking a fair few punches on the way. But because he was up against Norton, and was paid $6 mil, he got his ass into the best shape he could. At the fight, Norton comes straight out of the blocks and after 7 rounds is well ahead. Ali and his camp by this point is starting to shit themselves and Ali just starts to nick rounds with bursts of effort and tying Norton up. from the 9th till through the 14th he loses one round in my opinion. This means that they go into the 15th dead level. Now Ali is told by his corner to go and fight for 3 mins full on because he needs that round to win. Norton is told that he is comfortably ahead, and to keep out of trouble.
So Ali comes out and controls the ring for 2 and a half mins, before norton senses something is up and comes on stronger in the last 30 secs, but in my view he had already lost the round.

I think Norton was the fitter man at that point, and if he had been given the same advice as Ali, to go out and fight full on, he would have outpunched him and took the round easy. But because he coasted he threw away the last round and the fight.
Nice recap. I may have to make a point of watching it. I'm sure I know I have the trilogy on dvd. I have to dig it up.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #15
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin'Joe100

Personally, I think Norton won the 15th round. Norton was the aggressor, and most of Ali's punches - jabs included - didn't seem to land. Ali came out dancing and jabbing, but that was all just show. Then, with about 30 seconds or so left in the round, Norton lands two good right hands on Ali's jaw. Ali retreats to the corner, and Norton starts raining in punches. I gave the 15th round to Norton, and I gave Norton the fight!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum