Williams by decision 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default ~ Quintana v. Williams II ~ ANALYSIS AND PREDICTION Thread ~

What do you think each will bring to the table?

What do you expect their strategy to be?

How could each win?

How do you think this fight will play out?

What is your prediction?
Decebal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419
Default Re: ~ Quintana v. Williams II ~ ANALYSIS AND PREDICTION Thread ~

im pickin Quintana, he seemed to have no problems with Willaims' advanatges in the first meeting. Also I dont agree with Williams fighting at 147, he simply isnt a welterweight an should be forced to box people his own size. I also feel this could have had something to do with his lackluster perforance in the first Quintana fight.

Forrest - Williams is a good match.
jc is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
Benjiabc
The Nottingham Hitman
ESB Addict

i fancy quintana by UD i think he has williams number now
Benjiabc is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
I_Neutral
P4P Emeritus
ESB Senior Member

IMO the only difference i see is Williams blocking more shots but still not doing enough. It will, though, make it a closer fight. And it will depend on the judges, so you know how that can turn out.
I_Neutral is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

What do you think each will bring to the table?
Quintana: Movement, technical skills, defense, counterpunching, underrated power, slickness, decent stamina (needs improvement), good toughness, the confidence of knowing he won the first fight
Williams: Height, reach, high punch output, speed, good chin, leaky defense, excellent stamina, straight punches, toughness

What do you expect their strategy to be?
Quintana: Do the same thing as their first fight; move laterally to offset Williams' offense and prevent him from getting off with 100+ punches a round. Find openings to counter, go to the body to slow him down for the later rounds, stay measured and calculated to preserve stamina.
Williams: Use the jab more, throw more punches, mix it up to the body and the head, control the distance to negate some of Quintana's counterpunching, basically outwork Quintana while being more defensively aware.

How could each win?
If they follow the fight plans to a 'T'

How do you think this fight will play out?
Much like the first. Quintana is stylistically hard for Williams because Williams relies solely on his workrate to win him fights. He doesn't use his physical advantages well and Quintana exploited this. Expect Quintana to limit Williams' punch output, to catch him with sharp counters throughout, and drop a few rounds here and there on inactivity.

What is your prediction?
Quintana UD
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

So...Quintana will be able to handle whatever Williams tries to change - which will end up being more of the same stuff he did in the first fight?
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear
So...Quintana will be able to handle whatever Williams tries to change - which will end up being more of the same stuff he did in the first fight?
Yes, Williams may try to change a few things, but I don't think any changes he make will be that noticable. He needs to develop a long-range jab to control the distance and allow himself room to outbox guys from long distance. The problem is that he's never shown the ability to do this. He's a mid range guy who gives up his reach, sacrafices any power he has for output, and makes mistakes left and right from a defensive standpoint. He doesn't have the pressuring ability to take away from Quintana's movement, so I believe it'll be more of the same with Quintana having his way with counterpunching and moving laterally to offset Williams.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #8
Caliboxing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I expect a better performance from Williams but think that Quintana will outbox him again. Williams is draining himself too much to make 147.
Caliboxing is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
Yes, Williams may try to change a few things, but I don't think any changes he make will be that noticable. He needs to develop a long-range jab to control the distance and allow himself room to outbox guys from long distance. The problem is that he's never shown the ability to do this. He's a mid range guy who gives up his reach, sacrafices any power he has for output, and makes mistakes left and right from a defensive standpoint. He doesn't have the pressuring ability to take away from Quintana's movement, so I believe it'll be more of the same with Quintana having his way with counterpunching and moving laterally to offset Williams.
Sounds like Williams shouldn't have take the rematch that early, if he's not going to be able to change/improve/develop enough in the meantime...so, why did he do it? The money? Quintana clearly won the first fight...you cannot put it down to a bad night for Williams...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Sounds like Williams shouldn't have take the rematch that early, if he's not going to be able to change/improve/develop enough in the meantime...so, why did he do it? The money? Quintana clearly won the first fight...you cannot put it down to a bad night for Williams...
I think he took a rematch simply because he's a warrior who'll fight anybody. He wants to avenge this loss which is very admirable, but I don't see how he wins it. A bad stylistic fight for him.

And another thing, I think making 147 takes a lot out of him. Expect Williams to announce a move up to 154 after the fight or sometime in the following weeks. But hell, if he wins, he's right back in the mix at 147.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
I think he took a rematch simply because he's a warrior who'll fight anybody. He wants to avenge this loss which is very admirable, but I don't see how he wins it. A bad stylistic fight for him.

And another thing, I think making 147 takes a lot out of him. Expect Williams to announce a move up to 154 after the fight or sometime in the following weeks. But hell, if he wins, he's right back in the mix at 147.

I'll miss you a hell of a lot, brooklyn1550!
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
huki
huk huk ^_^;;
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I didn't pick Quintana before the first fight because I thought Williams' workrate would trouble him and he would be rusty after not fighting for a while. Also I was worried about him fading during the second half of the fight.

This time, I would be surprised if the fight didn't go the same way as the first. The only difference now is that Quintana will be even more comfortable, more prepared, and more confident. His style is poison for Williams, who is sloppy and doesn't use his size/reach advantages well.

I don't know what Williams could do to win.. he would need to learn to be a smarter boxer (which doesn't happen after one fight) or go all out throwing more and taking more punches early, hoping that Quintana blows himself out.
huki is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by huki
I didn't pick Quintana before the first fight because I thought Williams' workrate would trouble him and he would be rusty after not fighting for a while. Also I was worried about him fading during the second half of the fight.

This time, I would be surprised if the fight didn't go the same way as the first. The only difference now is that Quintana will be even more comfortable, more prepared, and more confident. His style is poison for Williams, who is sloppy and doesn't use his size/reach advantages well.

I don't know what Williams could do to win.. he would need to learn to be a smarter boxer (which doesn't happen after one fight) or go all out throwing more and taking more punches early, hoping that Quintana blows himself out.
I agree that Quintana will be confident and motivated to prove it wasn't a one off. I also agree that Williams is not versatile and experienced enough to bring a whole new different ballgame to the table after 4 months. Still...who knows...
Decebal is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #14
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Williams win as a Cotto fan. Cotto could finish off the year with Margarito and De La Hoya. In the beginning of 2009, he and Williams could unify the WBA and WBO because if Quintana wins again, I don't see him wanting to unify with Cotto unless he absolutely has to.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:

I'll miss you a hell of a lot, brooklyn1550!
Likewise my friend!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum