Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Does Anyone Not Think Pac Would Spark Gamboa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues2nd
No definately not.

Why?

Well, Pac aint fighting a guy with 10 wins (he would get OBLITERATED by his detracters)...so by the time they were to fight...if it ever happened...Pac would be starting to decline, as Gamboa would probably be hitting his stride. I would actually expect the exact opposite (Gamboa by KO mid-late).

If they fought NOW? Maybe...I mean, it would be the more LIKELY choice. He has fought 10 friggin times for christ sakes. I know there are some who are far overhyping him (tho I do believe he has UNLIMITED potential) by saying stuff like that (beating Manny that is)...but I just ignore them, its easier.

Give the guy some time people. I thought he looked PHENOMINAL tonight.
Yes, I meant now. He is young in fights but not so young in age for the division. I don't see him beating Pac anytime in the next few years at all.
acb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
kg0208
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
This is the crux of it. He is going to be this type of boxer with the amount of amateur matches he had. His relaxation and explosiveness comes in part from his loose style, but so does his vulnerability to being tagged. What I saw tonight was an great athlete, but not one with relfexes quite so fast that he can afford to be that unprotected against top guys in the division.
IE: (And you knew I was going to say it), he may be the best prospect since RJJ (and I did say that before, not backing off now, but saw some work to do tonight), but he is NOT RJJ. Only guy I ever saw get away with that AND be able to hit you back, hard.
kg0208 is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:08 AM   #18
El Matador
Your Boxing Authority
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Why?

Well, Pac aint fighting a guy with 10 wins (he would get OBLITERATED by his detracters)...so by the time they were to fight...if it ever happened...Pac would be starting to decline, as Gamboa would probably be hitting his stride. I would actually expect the exact opposite (Gamboa by KO mid-late).

If they fought NOW? Maybe...I mean, it would be the more LIKELY choice. He has fought 10 friggin times for christ sakes. I know there are some who are far overhyping him (tho I do believe he has UNLIMITED potential) by saying stuff like that (beating Manny that is)...but I just ignore them, its easier.

Give the guy some time people. I thought he looked PHENOMINAL tonight.
No- he didn't look phenomonal tonight.

Does he have physical talent? Sure. But he's an arrogant fighter who repeatedly dropped his hands, headbutts the hell out of Jiminez, a fighter who hasn't fought in over a year, throws him to the canvas twice, smothers his own punches, and yes, DROPS HIS HANDS. Not because he doesn't know better, but he actually thinks he's fast enough to do that!

No way does he beat Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao's speed isn't going to vanish, nor will his power, in these next two years, presumably when the fight would take place.

Right now, Gamboa doesn't last four rounds. In a couple years, Gamboa might crawl to the finish line. And don't get me started about Linares-Gamboa in the next year. Linares gives him a boxing lesson.
El Matador is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #19
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
IE: (And you knew I was going to say it), he may be the best prospect since RJJ (and I did say that before, not backing off now, but saw some work to do tonight), but he is NOT RJJ. Only guy I ever saw get away with that AND be able to hit you back, hard.
True, he's no Roy Jones. I said that from the outset, but he still has fantastic potential and is an excellent fighter.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #20
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
And this is what the problem is going to be for him. Great reflexes, not superhuman.
acb is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #21
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Ok question for you..

Were you disapointed tonight?

I was.
acb is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #22
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matador
No- he didn't look phenomonal tonight.

Does he have physical talent? Sure. But he's an arrogant fighter who repeatedly dropped his hands, headbutts the hell out of Jiminez, a fighter who hasn't fought in over a year, throws him to the canvas twice, smothers his own punches, and yes, DROPS HIS HANDS. Not because he doesn't know better, but he actually thinks he's fast enough to do that!

No way does he beat Manny Pacquiao. Pacquiao's speed isn't going to vanish, nor will his power, in these next two years, presumably when the fight would take place.

Right now, Gamboa doesn't last four rounds. In a couple years, Gamboa might crawl to the finish line. And don't get me started about Linares-Gamboa in the next year. Linares gives him a boxing lesson.

His speed and reflexes looked unreal. His timing and accuracy? The same. His footwork is great. His combinations are put together beautifully and he sits on his punches very well. He also has a phenominal workrate. And he may have been dropped, but recovered great (wasnt really hurt anyway in all honesty), and dominated the rest of the fight.

Yes, he needs to work on things...mainly keeping his hands up...but again, its his 10th fight and a step up in class as well.

And Jimenez may not have fought in a year...but he is a good fighter. A fighter who also has never been stopped (not really aimed at you...but more at the fools who are knocking Gamboa for not stopping him). And he won 9 out of 10 rounds vs him....CLEARLY!!!

Be serious...if he didnt impress the shit out of you tonight...you are expecting way too much.

Again, give the guy some time to develop his pro game.
sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #23
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
And that in return he will throw 6-8 punch combos in retaliation after getting up at 2

Seriously, if he can't keep his hands up, he needs to roll with punches a bit better.
I'm surprised he hasn't begun to work on this to be honest. These liabilities have shown up before. These issues need to be resolved before he steps up to world-class level.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #24
El Matador
Your Boxing Authority
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

His speed and reflexes looked unreal. His timing and accuracy? The same. His footwork is great. His combinations are put together beautifully and he sits on his punches very well. He also has a phenominal workrate. And he may have been dropped, but recovered great (wasnt really hurt anyway in all honesty), and dominated the rest of the fight.

Yes, he needs to work on things...mainly keeping his hands up...but again, its his 10th fight and a step up in class as well.

And Jimenez may not have fought in a year...but he is a good fighter. A fighter who also has never been stopped (not really aimed at you...but more at the fools who are knocking Gamboa for not stopping him). And he won 9 out of 10 rounds vs him....CLEARLY!!!

Be serious...if he didnt impress the shit out of you tonight...you are expecting way too much.

I actually agree with everything you said.

But it just p___ed me off, seeing a fighter THAT arrogant, dropping his hands. He was dominating a good, seasoned veteran in Jiminez, he didn't need to be a jerk about it!

But as long as he works on his technique (keep the hands up!) I'll admit, I am excited to see what his future holds. Still, I doubt he improves terribly much because, after an extensive amaetur background, he basically is what he is, and he isn't dropping his hands because he doesn't know better, again, it's an arrogance issue. He's got some good speed, good combination puncher, accurate, stamina, power, but seriously, the hand thing, that really did bother me.
El Matador is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #25
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matador
I actually agree with everything you said.

But it just p___ed me off, seeing a fighter THAT arrogant, dropping his hands. He was dominating a good, seasoned veteran in Jiminez, he didn't need to be a jerk about it!

But as long as he works on his technique (keep the hands up!) I'll admit, I am excited to see what his future holds. Still, I doubt he improves terribly much because, after an extensive amaetur background, he basically is what he is, and he isn't dropping his hands because he doesn't know better, again, it's an arrogance issue. He's got some good speed, good combination puncher, accurate, stamina, power, but seriously, the hand thing, that really did bother me.
Agreed...kinda.

But the arrogance thing is hardly new with GREAT young fighters. Roy Jones (who Gamboa reminds me off really...a much smaller version LOL), Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho, etc...all pulled this kind of stuff on fighters who they were clearly in another class of (and against some who they werent LOL).

Gamboa is obviously a special talent, with a glaring weakness. And after his extensive background, it is gonna be tough for him to totally cut out the dropping of the hands...but if he can limit it and make it an exception instead of the rule in his defense...it will not really hurt him.

I agree 100% with kg tho...if he IS going to fight like that, a shoulder roll would help immensely...its not like he doesnt have the timing or reflexes to implore one.

sues2nd is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:33 AM   #26
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Roy Jones (who Gamboa reminds me off really...a much smaller version LOL)
Same, very much so.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:34 AM   #27
Chert
Ringside Potato
ESB Addict

with the way he fought tonight, pac definitely starches him.
Chert is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #28
jaco
Thomas Hearns
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Great post, this is exactly the way i see it.
jaco is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #29
RealIzm
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I don't always sleep with my eyes open, but when I do it's because of Maravilla.
vCash: 800

****adoodledoo already

PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 ****ing fights and were comparing him to Pac???
take another bong hit stoner
RealIzm is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #30
sues2nd
Fading into Bolivian...
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt
Same, very much so.

BTW, you hitting Mohegan on the 7th?
sues2nd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum