Old 05-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
vitesse349
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: gomez will beat khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
There is no comparison to the fights you mentioned. Thompson had just knocked out Rothmann, there was some form there and he hadn't lost in 3 years. Holyfield-Tyson???

I do not over-use the term SHOT. I do not call fighters who are a little past their best SHOT. Gomez is long past his best, I'll allow you to compare Gomez-Arthur to Thompson-Haye, two guys who were somewhat unproven against two slightly past best big heart types.
Not now though...
Gomez has been stopped in 3 of his last 6. And they weren't against Manny Pacquaio or Joan Guzman, they were against pretty average opponents.
And on top of his recent form, he has never fought at lightweight ever.

Please, don't put money on Gomez. Don't give it away.

ok..you can discount the Mcdonagh stoppage straight away, you and i know exactly what happened there. If you havent seen it, look on youtube.

as for thompson v haye, thompson was being demolished by rothmann and pulled out one massive punch to end it, he was 40 years old when he fought haye and had been knocked out or stopped on quiet a few occasions.

when holyfield beat tyson he was a massive underdog, washed up, and looked awful in his previous fight against bobby czyz,

Gomez has no business beating khan, and the logical brain would agree with you, but like i said I know gomez is going to do it. Its just meant to happen that way.
vitesse349 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse349
the same thing was said about Haye V Thompson
The same thing wasn't said about Haye/Thompson, the general feeling was wondering whether Haye had bitten off more than he could chew.

Six months before Thompson/Haye Thompson had beaten Rothmann in South Africa. While Haye was beating Thompson, Rothmann was losing to Steve Cunningham. Cunningham is now rated number one at CW and the Rothmann that had just lost to Thompson is still considered one of his best four wins.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
vitesse349
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler
The same thing wasn't said about Haye/Thompson, the general feeling was wondering whether Haye had bitten off more than he could chew.

Six months before Thompson/Haye Thompson had beaten Rothmann in South Africa. While Haye was beating Thompson, Rothmann was losing to Steve Cunningham. Cunningham is now rated number one at CW and the Rothmann that had just lost to Thompson is still considered one of his best four wins.
i think you will find that carl thompson beat rothmann in england not south africa, and if you watch that fight, thompson was out on his feet. Haye was easily the favourite to beat thompson, i should know because I won a lot of money on that fight and thompson was 5-1 with the bookies.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
TFFP

vCash:

Very slim chance.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
stake501
Contender
ESB Senior Member

apart from a sprott-esque punch, cant see how gomez will be able to pull this off
stake501 is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #21
vitesse349
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

it will be two or three sprotesque punches. Game over.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 PM   #22
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazeNation
And on top of his recent form, he has never fought at lightweight ever.

Think the fight with McDonagh (where Gomez turned his back) was for the Irish Lightweight Title.

Basically he is a career super featherweight though.
elle is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #23
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

The only way Gomez can beat Khan is if he winds him up to the point that Khan loses his cool, and ends up fighting the wrong fight.
In the run up to the fight, I would hope that Gomez starts bad mouthing Khan, getting in his face, and generally being disrespectful. Anything less and I'm not even putting any Vcash on Gomez.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM   #24
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypole
The only way Gomez can beat Khan is if he winds him up to the point that Khan loses his cool, and ends up fighting the wrong fight.
In the run up to the fight, I would hope that Gomez starts bad mouthing Khan, getting in his face, and generally being disrespectful. Anything less and I'm not even putting any Vcash on Gomez.

The only time I've really seen an opponent get to Khan before a fight is Earl - seemed to be some genuine ill feeling between them. Gomez could end up getting humiliated in the ring too here....

Yes the pre-fight outbursts from Gomez may be entertaining but his unpredictability is a little predictable if that makes any sense - I think Khan will be expecting it.

He also has the benefit of knowing Gomez tried those tactics before the Johanneson fight and failed as he went on to lose - actions speak louder than words.
elle is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #25
Claypole
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
He also has the benefit of knowing Gomez tried those tactics before the Johanneson fight and went on to lose - actions speak louder than words.
Yeah, I know. Difference with Johanneson was that he was more than capable of going toe to toe with Gomez, and was prepared to eat leather on the way to winning. I don't believe Khan can do that.
The truth is, I don't expect Khan to have any problems with Gomez. He's only been brought in because he's an interesting name to have on the CV.
Claypole is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:06 AM   #26
Bomber_uk
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I agree with the original poster,

Khan looks suspect when put under pressure, yes we all know he has more than what it takes to outbox Gomez but isn't that why Boxing is such a great sport... cos it doesn't always go the way it should. Like he said I can see Gomex taking plenty but shocking Khan with his tenacity and if he wobbles him and smells blood then get ready cos he will be all over Khan like a bad rash and it will be goodnight vienna and lets sit down and listen to his father and ****** coughing excuses for their boy

Gomez ko Khan 3
Bomber_uk is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #27
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
If Gomez can sting Khan and make him uncomfortable, he may last till the end, losing a wide-UD as Khan plays it safe.

Thats one outcome I really can't see - this fight going the distance.

Just doubt whether Gomez has the fitness/stamina for it - thought he was fading by the end of the 4th during the Johanneson fight. Remember seeing how he returned to his corner the last couple of rounds.

Wouldn't write off Gomez completely in this one but realistically his best chance of winning will be to take catch Khan hard and early. Would be amazed if Gomez won though - what an upset that would be!

To be honest, even if he gets dropped by Gomez or struggles with him I think thats damaging for Khan.
elle is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 AM   #28
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
Think the fight with McDonagh (where Gomez turned his back) was for the Irish Lightweight Title.

Basically he is a career super featherweight though.
He's massive at Super Feather. He'll be easily as big as Khan. He's bigger then me FFS and i'm nearly 13 stone.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 AM   #29
c_phillips3

the match up is a farce we all know that gomez is a washed up fighter like earl was the only chance gomez has is a first or second round knockout we all know khan has a week chin
c_phillips3 is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #30
c_phillips3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse349
I dont care if you lot think im a nutter. I can feel it in my bones. I think wank ****** has made a big mistake this time. Probably wants revenge for alex arthur. Gomez is past his best, but what makes him different is the fact that hes a nutcase who has nothing to lose. Theres no pressure on him to win, he is expected to be destroyed. I think he will be in the best shape of his life for this, and he is the type of fighter who wants to destroy the best laid plans of people.

I expect khan to come out and be dazzling, picking gomez off easily and then it happens...BOOM...gomez catches him, and finishes him off. This is the one lads..seriously.
its a big joke we all know that gomez is a washed up fighter like earl was the only chance gomez has is a first / second round knockout we all know khan has a week chin thats why he hasnt been in with a puncher its a big rip off no wonder itv has washed there hands of him
c_phillips3 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum