Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Which fighters fought everyone there was to fight?

I'm not interested in any speculation of who ducked who or anything like that, nor excuses to why that fighter didn't face him or him. Just straight up, who doesn't have any names missing from their records?

Ali: There can really be no argument here, can there? Foreman and Jones might both have had calls for rematches, but he did beat them.

Louis: Doesn't have any big name missing, but he fought during an era when the colour line still had some bearing on things.

SRL: Don't have any names missing, really. Some argue that he stalled his rematch with Hearns and that he waited to make his comeback against Hagler until Hagler had aged some. I don't give too much credence to these arguments personally. He might have stalled the rematch with Hearns, but he beat him when they were both in their primes.

Armstrong?

Any others?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Which fighters fought everyone there was to fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj
I'm not interested in any speculation of who ducked who or anything like that, nor excuses to why that fighter didn't face him or him. Just straight up, who doesn't have any names missing from their records?

Ali: There can really be no argument here, can there? Foreman and Jones might both have had calls for rematches, but he did beat them.

Louis: Doesn't have any big name missing, but he fought during an era when the colour line still had some bearing on things.

SRL: Don't have any names missing, really. Some argue that he stalled his rematch with Hearns and that he waited to make his comeback against Hagler until Hagler had aged some. I don't give too much credence to these arguments personally. He might have stalled the rematch with Hearns, but he beat him when they were both in their primes.

Armstrong?

Any others?
I think Jimmy McLarnin -- a largely-overlooked, cracking-good fighter -- qualifies, B. And he did it all before packin' it in at 29.

From the day he turned pro at 16, nothing but contenders, ex-champs, future champs and hall-of-famers.

He fought Tony Canzonari, Lou Ambers, Fidel La Barba, Jackie Fields, Pancho Villa, Bud Taylor, and was the hex for every Jewish great and prospect in the 1920s and '30s: Benny Leonard, Barney Ross, Sid Terris, Joe Glick, Ruby Goldstein, Sammy Mandell, Al Singer, and Louis “Kid” Kaplan.

Donnie Lalonde, the former WBC Light Heavyweight champ, remarked to me once: “People say there are no good Canadian fighters…There are!…They’re just all hockey players.” Jimmy McLarnin was no hockey player.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #3
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Archie Moore. He took on all the most dangerous top contenders/champions from the middleweight/light-h/heavyweight divisions in 3 different decades!
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd also add Arguello, Duran, Chavez, Hearns, Holyfield, Lewis.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
Archie Moore. He took on all the most dangerous top contenders/champions from the middleweight/light-h/heavyweight divisions in 3 different decades!
Yeah, that deserves a mention!

I forgot Johnson. He fought everyone, didn't he? Maybe he should have given guys like Langford a rematch, but he did fight everybody at least once.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
He sure did!
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack
I'd also add Arguello, Duran, Chavez, Hearns, Holyfield, Lewis.
Powerpuncher named a couple of guys he thought were missing from Duran's record. It's in the thread that compares Durand and RJJ p4p.

Lewis didn't face Foreman or Bowe, and Holyfield and Tyson was both past it when they squared off with Lewis. It probably wasn't his fault, but still...

Did Holyfield really face all the top 90's contenders? Ruddock, Morrison, Tua, Golota and Bruno are all missing from his record aren't they?
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Who did Duran duck? I can't be arsed searching for another thread by the way.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
I think Jimmy McLarnin.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh
Who did Duran duck? I can't be arsed searching for another thread by the way.
It's just a little bit down on this page. I can't be arsed to look it up for you.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

He didn't face pryor? Neither did Leonard. Cervantes? Not really duckage. He never really campaigned seriously at light-welter, his goal was the title at 147.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tho his era wasn't a middleweight goldmine, did Monzon miss anyone?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Tho his era wasn't a middleweight goldmine, did Monzon miss anyone?
Hagler
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj

Armstrong?

Any others?
HARRY GREB,he wanted Dempsey too, but Jack wouldnt fight him.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #15
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield
I think Jimmy McLarnin -- a largely-overlooked, cracking-good fighter -- qualifies, B. And he did it all before packin' it in at 29.

From the day he turned pro at 16, nothing but contenders, ex-champs, future champs and hall-of-famers.

He fought Tony Canzonari, Lou Ambers, Fidel La Barba, Jackie Fields, Pancho Villa, Bud Taylor, and was the hex for every Jewish great and prospect in the 1920s and '30s: Benny Leonard, Barney Ross, Sid Terris, Joe Glick, Ruby Goldstein, Sammy Mandell, Al Singer, and Louis “Kid” Kaplan.

Donnie Lalonde, the former WBC Light Heavyweight champ, remarked to me once: “People say there are no good Canadian fighters…There are!…They’re just all hockey players.” Jimmy McLarnin was no hockey player.
Mclarnin is a very underated Welter Champ,imo ,but his wily manager often got a weight advantage for Jimmy,and he was born in Belfast so technically he is Irish.
mcvey is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum