Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Zone
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 1195
Default How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

I like him against almost anyone but Wlad.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothrop
I like him against almost anyone but Wlad.
I would make him favourite against everyone but Wlad. I wouldn't be making a pick where that one is concerned.

I would be very interested to see him fight Peter. That might be a good one. I think i'd favour Baer there too though.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Posts: 11,319
vCash: 15000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Sam Peter is a better fighter than Baer was.

I'd pick Peter, Wlad, Vitali and maybe Chagaev over Baer.
Jack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Sam Peter is a better fighter than Baer was.
Well Baer was certainly a bit fleeter of foot.

Quote:
I'd pick Peter, Wlad, Vitali and maybe Chagaev over Baer.
Chageav is an interesting one and I think underated by many. But i'll need to see a little more of him in action at the top before i'd be able to pick him over Baer.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Don't know.
Posts: 1,588
vCash: 200
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
Sadly, we may perhaps never see him in the ring again.
What happened to him?

Quote:
He is the only current hw i was interested in.
Me too.
Lacyace is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobkhan
He has Hepatitis B, thats why he had to pull out of the unification with Ibragimov. If it becomes chronic he has to quit boxing.

Well that is shit news.

Mobile and can hit with both hands. Let's hope he straightens out.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Sonny's jab
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Max Baer could beat them all, brutally and electrifyingly.

But he could lose to them all too, and stink the joint out in the process.

That was Max Baer.

If he was around today he'd be on the cover of all the magazines, probably being screwing Angelina Jolie, Beyonce Knowles and Jennifer Lopez, and drawing record PPV audiences.
Boxing would be back on the front pages.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,411
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Personally, I think that his brother Buddy would have a better chance of making a bigger impact today, given that he had all the right size dimensions and physical tools which fit the bill for this era. Max had talent, but skills that were rather unrefined. His brute strength may have gotten him his meal ticket in an era, where most heavyweights were not built like they are today, but in anytime post 1960, he'd have to come up with something other than just savage slugging, and frankly I just don't think that he had the right accumen.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 576
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

I'd expect him to beat Wlad and the rest of the top boxers, EXCEPT Chagaev and maybe Peter. Chagaev's skills and hard-working attitude would allow him to pick up plenty of rounds while Baer is clowning and not working. Peter-Baer would be a classic brawl; I think if Peter can make enough of an impact early on he can get Baer unwilling to engage a sufficient number of times in the second half, and thus sneak a decision.

Of course, this is all if Baer is focused. Since he often wouldn't be, he'd pick up a lot of silly losses against people one would never pick to beat him.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois USA
Posts: 13,411
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan
I'd expect him to beat Wlad and the rest of the top boxers, EXCEPT Chagaev and maybe Peter. Chagaev's skills and hard-working attitude would allow him to pick up plenty of rounds while Baer is clowning and not working. Peter-Baer would be a classic brawl; I think if Peter can make enough of an impact early on he can get Baer unwilling to engage a sufficient number of times in the second half, and thus sneak a decision.

Of course, this is all if Baer is focused. Since he often wouldn't be, he'd pick up a lot of silly losses against people one would never pick to beat him.
You may have a point, except if Baer exercised his tendency to clown, as you say, then he might have a very long and hard night against Wladimir Klitschko
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
Lex
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 191
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Max Baer was the Earnie Shavers of his day. Shavers was always one crushing overhand right away from being a world champ. I'd give Baer a good chance against any of today's heavyweights. On any given night he'd knock their blocks off. And on another night they'd crush or outbox him. But unlike a lot of today's fighters, Baer would campaign for rematches, and probably get 'em.
Lex is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,049
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
Max Baer was the Earnie Shavers of his day. Shavers was always one crushing overhand right away from being a world champ. I'd give Baer a good chance against any of today's heavyweights. On any given night he'd knock their blocks off. And on another night they'd crush or outbox him.
This sums it up nicley. The distractions that prevented Baer from fulfilling his potential in his own day would be magnified ten fold today.

When he was on he would tear through any heavyweight active today but his consistency would let him down.
janitor is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,049
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny's jab
If he was around today he'd be on the cover of all the magazines, probably being screwing Angelina Jolie, Beyonce Knowles and Jennifer Lopez,
He would have em all. When it came to screwing celebrities Baer was without peer in the pantheon of heavyweight champions.
janitor is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,286
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Personally, I think that his brother Buddy would have a better chance of making a bigger impact today, given that he had all the right size dimensions and physical tools which fit the bill for this era. Max had talent, but skills that were rather unrefined. His brute strength may have gotten him his meal ticket in an era, where most heavyweights were not built like they are today, but in anytime post 1960, he'd have to come up with something other than just savage slugging, and frankly I just don't think that he had the right accumen.
Max had more power than his brother,and a better chin,but lacked his dedication.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,037
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How would Max Baer do in today's HW division?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
He would have em all. When it came to screwing celebrities Baer was without peer in the pantheon of heavyweight champions.

I have thought about this A LOT and I am going to bet that Johnson would have achieved more in this era.
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013