boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #31
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241
Default Re: How does Hatton make weight so easily?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOli
Hattons small for a jw so he doesn't have to get skeleton like to make the weight.
Not that small for Light Welter, he goes Into the ring weighing a light middle so he's big for the weight and looks drained at the weigh Ins.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #32
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt2006
From what I read in some rag, he starts a special diet etc 8 weeks before a fight, combined with the exercise he shifts the weight.

I doubt it is healthy to knock so much weight off so quickly without it messing your body up in the long term but they guy has another few fights and then will retire a rich man (well he could retire now as a rich man).

Haye was on Talksport last week talking about his weight reduction for fights and even he said it was not a very healthy thing to do. At one stage the guy apparently had close to zero % body fat. No wonder he had stamina problems.
Its not physically possible to be at zero % bodyfat. By the time the body reaches 6% and under you are reaching dangerous levels of dehydration. Anything less can likely lead to permanent damage or even death.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #33
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Most people are around 25%, athletes get down to 10%, if he got anywhere near 5% I'd be impressed. Either way "nearly zero" is pure bull****.
Only bodybuilders and very well conditioned boxers tend to be close to 6% and under. For a boxer that simply means he needs to go up in weight. Those kind of percentages are too dangerous for human health. The lowest mine has ever been was around 10% im now probably around 16%. But iv gained alot of muscle mass over the last 5 years and dont need to be tight at my weight.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #34
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by onourway
To be fair, dehydrated/weight drained fighters are susceptible to serious head injuries in the ring.

Haye was playing with fire staying at CW.
Not at all. Haye is lazy doesnt like to do his roadwork and doesnt like to make weight. For the Enzo fight he was probably around 7-8% easily possibly more. If Haye took the time out to take his trade seriously he could continue to make 200lbs for the next 2-3 years easily. He simply doesnt want to and has increased his calorie intake so it becomes much harder for him to make weight. When he turned pro he was a soft 190lbs. As an amatuer he had to eat his weight in gold to stay at the weight. If Haye was so tight at the weight he wouldnt have made 197lbs so comfortably.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #35
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

When I was 16 and playing rugby for Yorkshire Schools, I was around 14% - and could do the 100m in 12.28 seconds, weighing around 160lbs ish, and looked in reasonable shape, i.e. muscular with a bit of coating, similar to Hatton was when he got into the ring with Luis Collazo (probably a bit more padded). This was done by training three or four times a week (including matches) so to get too much lower would have taken a great deal of extra work, and allowed you little time to do anything else or have any luxuries, such as a full rasher of back bacon as opposed to medallions!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM   #36
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMattMatt
The American Council on Exercise gives these figures:
25% Essential fat (i.e Haye=dead if 0%)
613% Athletes
1417% Fitness
1825% Acceptable
25%+ Obese

I personally think they are a bit too high, but that's just my uniformed opinion based on nothing more than the fact that I'm a naturally skinny ******. I'm not a professional athlete but my % was between 6 and 8 a few years back, it's probably around 10-12 now. I reckon Haye probably meant zero body fat above the essential (so ~5%).
Highly doubtful. Those figures a VERY accurate.Many seem to not understand how to measure body fat correctly. If your percentage was around 6-8% we can assume your muscle density was very high as well as your physical conditioning and would certainly have had a six/eight pack with no water rentention at all around your obliques. Was this the case? Did you work out on daily basis at least twice a day?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #37
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
When I was 16 and playing rugby for Yorkshire Schools, I was around 14% - and could do the 100m in 12.28 seconds, weighing around 160lbs ish, and looked in reasonable shape, i.e. muscular with a bit of coating, similar to Hatton was when he got into the ring with Luis Collazo (probably a bit more padded). This was done by training three or four times a week (including matches) so to get too much lower would have taken a great deal of extra work, and allowed you little time to do anything else or have any luxuries, such as a full rasher of back bacon as opposed to medallions!
That sounds very reasonable and certainly plausible. It is very rare for any average man to be less than 11% unless there a highly conditioned athlete with great genetics and a diet that is exactly on point.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:33 AM   #38
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I felt good at 14%, and wouldn't really want to be any lower, because if for some reason you have to take time off for injury or whatever, end of season, it would take an unbelievable effort to get back to the previous level.

I would say I'm at about 19% or so now, having packed in the egg chasing due to a dislocated shoulder not given long enough to heal properly - also discovering beer at the end of season party certainly contributed, and does to this day!
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 07:55 AM   #39
warrior85
R.I.P THUNDER
East Side Guru

vCash: 334

hard work
warrior85 is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #40
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Sylvester stallone was apparently at 3% body fat when he filmed Rocky 3 which is obscene.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #41
Tuffnutz
ESB 2002 Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Most people are around 25%, athletes get down to 10%, if he got anywhere near 5% I'd be impressed. Either way "nearly zero" is pure bull****.
Body builders can be at only 4% when they are ready for a competition.
Tuffnutz is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 AM   #42
KCD
All aboard.
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Not at all. Haye is lazy doesnt like to do his roadwork and doesnt like to make weight. For the Enzo fight he was probably around 7-8% easily possibly more. If Haye took the time out to take his trade seriously he could continue to make 200lbs for the next 2-3 years easily. He simply doesnt want to and has increased his calorie intake so it becomes much harder for him to make weight. When he turned pro he was a soft 190lbs. As an amatuer he had to eat his weight in gold to stay at the weight. If Haye was so tight at the weight he wouldnt have made 197lbs so comfortably.

Agree with you there Scurlantings. Plus regarding Haye does anyone not remeber Haye and Booth saying they make Cruiser comfortably and Enzo fell into their "trap" of believing Haye was struggling?
KCD is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #43
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffnutz
Body builders can be at only 4% when they are ready for a competition.
Yep, but when 10% is commonplace for athletes, 5% is nowhere near zero relatively speaking. If athletes came in at say 40% body fat then you could make a case for <5% being close to zero.
GazOC is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum