Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
stegsie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Jamie Moore to get honorary degree

Salford-born boxing champion Jamie Moore is to receive an honorary degree from the University of Salford on Tuesday 17 July 2007.

The 28-year-old British title holder, who lives in Salford, will be made a Master of Science for his contribution to sport and his unstinting work with young people in the community.

Jamie became a professional light-middleweight boxer in 1999 and is now ranked 10th in the World Boxing Council’s world rankings. As the British light-middleweight champion who has won the famous Lonsdale Belt, he has advanced the ‘Manchester style’ of boxing together with other top fighters like Ricky Hatton.

From his working class roots, Jamie has dedicated his career to helping young people stay off the streets and out of trouble. As a youngster, finding it difficult to purchase affordable, good quality boxing equipment, he later researched and launched his range of kits aimed at those parents and children who would have been put off the sport by expensive equipment.

Jamie said: “I’m very proud to receive this award from Salford University. It’s a long time since I was in education and I never expected to get a degree. It’s fantastic to think my work with school kids is being recognised. I just want to make a positive difference to young people and encourage them to reach their full potential.”

Paul Wilson, Associate Dean of Enterprise in the University’s School of Health Care Professions, said: “We’re delighted to present this degree to Jamie. It is not only his great achievements in sport for which he deserves recognition, but for his valuable charity work with the community and local schools.

“As well as his top boxing skills, Jamie’s talents lie in helping to raise the aspirations of young people from all types of backgrounds. That philosophy is at the heart of this University and Jamie couldn’t be a better example for our staff and students.”

Other honorary graduands at the University of Salford this year are sociologist Professor Eileen Fairhurst and Professor Peter Edwards, a University of Salford graduate and chemist.
stegsie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Default Re: Jamie Moore to get honorary degree

bloody hell, giving them away nowdays.... oh, wait.

In fairness, well done to Jamie.
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
morsey
Journeyman

Yeah congratulations jamie, appears well deserved.
morsey is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Napuis
Straight talkin' mo'fuhha
ESB Full Member

So he is now Jamie Cook Bsc MA.

What a load of bollocks, contributions to working class struggles, poverty or whatnot. It costs £20,000 for a degree, and another £15,000 for a masters...complete mockery of the system.
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
stegsie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoppelGanger
So he is now Jamie Cook Bsc MA.
Erm..... No - He's still Jamie Moore; he may have some more letters after his name but I don;t believe he's chaning anything else

To be fair mate - I don't agree with your point about it being a mockery of the system either......
stegsie is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Napuis
ESB Full Member

Why do some people need brains AND a to take a huge loan when they could box 20 fights and get the same qualification.

It devalues the huge achievement other people have made getting the qualifications, by handing them out to half famous sportsmen.

It's a joke.
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

To be fair he's been working in the university for quite some time, they didnt just approach him and say "oh, you're form salford... errrm.. do you want a degree mate?"
NOrth is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
HulmeExile

I fink it it is fair to say referring to Jamie being awarded an Honoury Degree as a Joke - is disrespectful....
The Word Honoury means he didn't ask are beg for it, it means he was rewarded or recognised for not only the Work he does in the ring, but the Work he does outside.
HulmeExile is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Napuis
ESB Full Member

I'm not mocking him, it's just a bullshit accolade.

What work has he done with the university, out of interest?
Napuis is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
NOrth
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

He's done a lot of work with their sport science department (i believe) and also a lot of work with youngster affiliated with the uni.
NOrth is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum