Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Tim Witherspoon vs Earnie Shavers - who would win in their respective primes?

'Spoon had the kind of natural gifts that other fighters envied. He was big, fluid, plenty strong, athletic, had an excellent, and a booming right hand that people feared. I think a prime Witherspoon could have very well have beaten the likes of Norton, Quarry, Lyle, Young, Bonavena, and some of the other heralded 70's heavyweights. Probably not Ali or Foreman but he would also have had a great shot at beating Frazier as well. Tim's lackadaisical, easygoing, jovial nature sometimes hampered him from fulfilling his vast potential. But he still had a nice career. Tim was one of the best highschool football players in the Philadelphia area before switching to the sweet science.

A motivated Tim Witherspoon has the skillset and solid enough chin to deal with Shavers IMO.

Witherspoon KO 4 Shavers
Sardu is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
El Matador
Your Boxing Authority
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Earnie Shavers - who would win in their respective primes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
'Spoon had the kind of natural gifts that other fighters envied. He was big, fluid, plenty strong, athletic, had an excellent, and a booming right hand that people feared. I think a prime Witherspoon could have very well have beaten the likes of Norton, Quarry, Lyle, Young, Bonavena, and some of the other heralded 70's heavyweights. Probably not Ali or Foreman but he would also have had a great shot at beating Frazier as well. Tim's lackadaisical, easygoing, jovial nature sometimes hampered him from fulfilling his vast potential. But he still had a nice career. Tim was one of the best highschool football players in the Philadelphia area before switching to the sweet science.

A motivated Tim Witherspoon has the skillset and solid enough chin to deal with Shavers IMO.

Witherspoon KO 4 Shavers
I doubt Shavers is stopped by Witherspoon, but I think Witherspoon might just have enough skill to win on points.

But I think Shavers probably would knock him out, anyway.
El Matador is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
CANNONBALL
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Tim Witherspoon vs Earnie Shavers - who would win in their respective primes?

shavers didnt have the greatest chin in the world as we know. i see timmy by mid round ko,just a little too cute for earnie,who was not the most technically skilled either. still,with power like earnie's,anything can happen
CANNONBALL is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
abraq
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I am not sure 'Terrible Tim' would have beaten all the 70's HWs named by Sardu. Maybe. Maybe not. He would certainly have been competitive.

That said, I would pick him to beat Shavers. I am talking prime vs prime. In all probability by late-mid or late round stoppage. But then, Witherspoon got caught and stopped by James 'Bonecrusher' Smith. Could certainly have happened against Shavers too.

Still, I would say that this a 70/30 fight for Tim.

Last edited by abraq; 05-24-2008 at 12:10 PM.
abraq is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I see it as a 90-10 fight for Tim. We need to look at Shavers record vs top 4 heavyweights. Witherspoon at his best was top 2 or 3 for a time. Tim is a massive fave here, and as for not being likely to stop Earnie i totally disagree. He could very well stop the big fella.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

John I think many underate pinklon thomas win over spoon and pinklon thomas in general. Many just hadvnt seen it on film. he gets underated because he never got to fight holmes like spoon did. People talk about spoon giving larry holmes a dead even fight, but they forget thomas was the # 1 contender for two straight years and holmes never fought him. He was undefeated WBC champion for 3 years and some experts began to rate him over larry in late 1984. he might have done much better vs holmes had given the chance. At his best thomas was a top 2-3 of his era.

I like witherspoon by late round TKO of an exhausted shavers in this one
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

I think Witherspoon wins this fight comfortably. I also think he will stop Shavers as the 'Spoon is a decent puncher as many fighters will testify. He repeatedly hurt Holmes (and at times had him out on his feet) in their fight and Shavers does not have the chin or recuparative powers of Holmes.

Witherspoon by TKO 5.

@ Abraq

Don't read too much into the Bonecrusher Smith vs Witherspoon result. It was a very dodgy stoppage and Witherspoon was completely demotivated for that fight. Plus it was only stopped on the 3 knockdown rule and Witherspoon at no time during the fight looked visibly shaken. If you ask me Witherspoon threw that fight to get out of a contract with Don King.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Matador
I doubt Shavers is stopped by Witherspoon, but I think Witherspoon might just have enough skill to win on points.
You're suggesting it requires a special skillset to outpoint Shavers. I would firmly disagree on that one. Well, "special" compared to world class fighters, of course.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tim would've stopped Earnie late, or decisioned him.Tim would feel Earnie's power, but he could take a good shot, and that, plus his skillset, would get him through.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
John I think many underate pinklon thomas win over spoon and pinklon thomas in general. Many just hadvnt seen it on film. he gets underated because he never got to fight holmes like spoon did. People talk about spoon giving larry holmes a dead even fight, but they forget thomas was the # 1 contender for two straight years and holmes never fought him. He was undefeated WBC champion for 3 years and some experts began to rate him over larry in late 1984. he might have done much better vs holmes had given the chance. At his best thomas was a top 2-3 of his era.

I like witherspoon by late round TKO of an exhausted shavers in this one

You make some sound points.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #11
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Spoon for me is far too complete a fighter for Earnie to deal with. Shavers was decent but he was always renowned for his power, making him a little bit of a one-trick pony.

You cannot rule Shavers out altogether, but I'd strongly back Tim here.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu

Witherspoon KO 4 Shavers
Good summary, except I like Spoon to win this one a bit later than round four assuming Witherpsoon in motivated.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Tim would either starch Shavers with one of them over hand Rights in Round 1, or the fight will go UD for Spoon on the cards. Either way, Witherspoon.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #14
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

'Spoon, by mid-late round TKO.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #15
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

At his best Terrible Tim is very underrated. Shavers I feel would be a tough one for him, since I don't think Tim had the skills to stay out of trouble all night long. However, what Tim would have would be the heart and chin (he took a lot of heavy punches from Bruno, who at least hit nearly as hard as Shavers) to hang in through any storm. At the same time, I think Tim's superior skills and speed would allow him to land frequentely on Shavers.

I suspect this would look a bit like Lyle-Shavers, with Tim maybe having to get off the deck but ultimately grinding Earnie down and stopping him in the middle rounds.
The Kurgan is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum