Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-19-2007, 04:36 AM   #1
DonPrestige
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Fighting in/outside US

When talking of fighters such as Calzaghe and why they never fight in the US and how this bears on the standing in the sport, conversations tend to the issue of fighting in the US. Isnt it quite simple that america at the momemnt and for a long time has been the centre stage. While europe has a strong scene, in terms of a single country, is there one that matches up with the money, glamour and recent history of the US. Ricky Hatton has no problem fighting in the US because he knows how important it is in terms of history but publicity too. Of course not to say all of a fighters fights have to be in the US because obviously you want to be loyal to your local suppport and fan base but to never fight there is strange.

On the other hand US fighters dont really travel outside the US for their fights ala Jeff Lacy. Surely they dont really have to becasue they are already in boxing mecca, although saying that there is no excuse for most of them never taking a trip overseas and I'm sure many would see their stock rise if they did.

Lets be honest if America wasnt the centre of boxing then there would be no excuse for fighters not travelling more often outside US but as it is does Joe have a leg to stand on especially if you combine that with the names on his record.
DonPrestige is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
marting
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Fighting in/outside US

Live gate dollars are a drop in the bucket compared to PPV numbers. If a fighter from across the pond develops his popularity within the US market he can cash in huge because his "lost" live gate fan base will almost assuredly pay for the PPV plus he'll reap the pot of gold in North America.

I think that was Hatton's intention with his forrays in the US market. If he lines up a mega fight with a US boxing icon and adds his earned popularity he will be a rewarded financially far better than toiling in his own backyard in front of adoring home town crowds.

Also, I think a fighter who only fights in front of home town crowds does serious damage to his reputation. I don't care if it's New York, Los Angeles, Hamburg or Cardiff. Boxing historians will not treat them with the same respect as someone who is willing to travel into hostile territories. Even a fighter who occassionally fights in nuetral territory will garner more respect than a "homer."
marting is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP

The reason USA is considered the Mecca. Look at the top P4P fighters of all time. A lot are of the USA.

Also, if you look at the fact that, in the USA one of our states is the size of/bigger then most countries with the exception of a few.

Last edited by Swedish81; 03-15-2006 at 04:32 PM.
eze is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:20 AM   #4
eze
Everybody Know Me
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran
Yeah the US boxers are in the p4p's created by US companies/organisations!
I didn't mean it like that.

=/ Just the prime spotlight to be to be recognized around the world. Is Vegas.

And sadly, us americans are so judgemental that if a fighter doesn't come off as a draw here, he wont get very far but in his own country.
eze is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Yeah, who claims that the US is the mecca of boxing? Americans? Why would Joe really want to fight in front of 10,000 silent fans at lets say the Thomas and Mack when he can fight in fron of 30,000+ here at home, not everybody cares what people in another country think, why should he care what people 3000 miles away in the US think of him? Why should the US boxers always have the home advantage? Yeah the US rulewd the boxing world 50 years ago (under the Mob) but today you have trouble putting on a decent event!

Mayweather said he wanted Hatton on neutral turf in NY! How is an american fighting an Englishman in america ''neutral''
How could America not be considered the Mecca of Boxing?
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
America isnt, one city is. Look at the history of boxing, I think its pretty safe to say that if Eastern Europe/Russia were fighting for the past 100 years and the belt wasnt kept in the US by the mob then the list of lineal heavyweight champions would look very different now, fact is the belt has been kept in america to suit american organisations.

The first Arran was more intelligent. Your highly speculative "what if" statement does nothing to change the fact that America has been the Mecca of Boxing for well over 100 years. And Madison Square Garden is not in Las Vegas. And neither is Atlantic City.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

I'll tell u what...boxing isn't as mainstream as people want to make it out to be in the US. You won't see boxers in commercials like the Klitschko brothers used to do in Germany and rarely will you see boxers on talk shows unless they pull off a significant win. Even then they're just 1 and done guests. Where I live we're lucky to get a half a page of boxing coverage in the local paper and that's only on tuesdays.

If you're a European fighter selling out European venues and making millions of Euros(?) and being adored by the public why do u have to come to America? I think alot of people are still living in the Leonard/Hearns/Hagler/Tyson/Whitaker/Holyfield days where they think boxing is really the top drawer sport over here.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Atlantic city is no more a mecca than London or even Manchester now, fact is the US has less champions than Europe. Infact when Haye beats Mormeck Uk alone would have 3 ring champs! Im not saying that England should be the mecca of boxing or is, its the home of boxing but its a global sport and should be global, but fact is americans bitch anytime they have to leave thier own soil, I have alot of respect for Lacy for doing what he did, but hearing Mayweather tell Hatton they should fight on neutral turf in NY is a joke!
I wasn't saying Atlantic city is a Mecca, you halfwit mother****er.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Atlantic city is no more a mecca than London or even Manchester now, fact is the US has less champions than Europe. Infact when Haye beats Mormeck Uk alone would have 3 ring champs! Im not saying that England should be the mecca of boxing or is, its the home of boxing but its a global sport and should be global, but fact is americans bitch anytime they have to leave thier own soil, I have alot of respect for Lacy for doing what he did, but hearing Mayweather tell Hatton they should fight on neutral turf in NY is a joke!
If you're going to count all of Europe as a continent, then you need to count all of North America as well and include the multitude of Mexican, Canadian, Panamanian and Dominican champions....

Mayweather vs Hatton ANYWHERE and Hatton would have the home crowd advantage - you know that. Hatton's fans are loud and obnoxious and travel well, while the joyboys don't get all that crazy.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

well i have to say germany is taking alot of american title fights.

but anyways it shouldnt matter where it's fought...ok sometimes it's stupid to have all british judges in a hatton fight on home turf but if there wasnt all this criticizism about fighting in other countries.

a world champion is a champion of the world the world should come to him
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothrop
How could America not be considered the Mecca of Boxing?
America isn't the mecca of boxing, Las Vegas is.

Just read in Boxing News a report of a fight held in Staten island,New York. Apparently the first show in SI for TEN years!!
David UK is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marting
Live gate dollars are a drop in the bucket compared to PPV numbers. If a fighter from across the pond develops his popularity within the US market he can cash in huge because his "lost" live gate fan base will almost assuredly pay for the PPV plus he'll reap the pot of gold in North America.

I think that was Hatton's intention with his forrays in the US market. If he lines up a mega fight with a US boxing icon and adds his earned popularity he will be a rewarded financially far better than toiling in his own backyard in front of adoring home town crowds.

Also, I think a fighter who only fights in front of home town crowds does serious damage to his reputation. I don't care if it's New York, Los Angeles, Hamburg or Cardiff. Boxing historians will not treat them with the same respect as someone who is willing to travel into hostile territories. Even a fighter who occassionally fights in nuetral territory will garner more respect than a "homer."
PPV market is not as established in europe but it is there.

for example calzaghe v kessler is going out ppv in the uk and in denamrk .

also breaking the usa market requires that the european have genuinbe world class american bassed talent in his divsion to do it, or he has usually to move up in weights to get the money fight.

its virtually impossible IMO for a well established european to break the american ppv market.

lewis is the only one i think who did it.

even americans have quite a hard job and it is a relativley small exclusive club, albeit i see some fights like holyfield v savarase are ppv which is a piss take.
sean is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum