Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Which fighters today, above all else, want to prove they're the best?

Whenever I saw Tommy Hearns or heard him talk, there was this simmering ambition. Wanted to be a champion above all else. Wanted to avenge his losses above all else. Would take on anyone.

Today most fighters seem to have their business-smarts with them. Who's still old-school?

I'll give a shout for Pavlik. Took on hard-hitting Miranda and decided he was just going to have to back him up, and that's what he did. Immediately after? Taylor. Not one or two easy fights now that he's somewhat of 'name', nope, right at the champ. If he loses, he's back to square one, but then again, he's not thinking of loss. He's thinking of that big shiny belt.
Shake is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
tampa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which fighters today, above all else, want to prove they're the best?

until pavlik becomes champ then it becomes all about the money go ask taylor
tampa is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
thewoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950
Default Re: Which fighters today, above all else, want to prove they're the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa
until pavlik becomes champ then it becomes all about the money go ask taylor
Taylor may have made comments about money but at the end of the day he took the fight that the people wanted most against a dangerous guy.
thewoo is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah. In all truth, love him or hate him, of all of the champions Jermaine Taylor has probably defended his title against the hardest competition. Hopkins rematch, Winky, Ouma and Spinks (who, while outside of their best weightclass, were still world class fighters in their own right).

I'd say Wladimir Klitschko is a good candidate. He genuinely seems to want to fight the best.

Floyd Mayweather gets an honorable mention for the WORST when it comes to wanting to prove he is the best.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Wlad Klitschko.
Pacquiao.
Mosley.
Winky.
Cotto.
Williams (Granted, he had nothing to lose fighting Margo, but I tink he wants it big time. He showed a lot of heart).
Hatton (Same as Williams. He always shows heart and I think he honestly wants the big names on his record).

Money has probably ruined boxing.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

Miranda has a better claim towards fighting the best than Pavlik does, and it ain't even close.

Going from Eastman to the undefeated champion Abraham in Germany to a warmup fight in Gibbs, then straight to the undefeated Allen Green, and then the undefeated contender Pavlik a short while later.

Now that's impressive...even if he lost 2 out of 5.
doublesuited is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #7
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman99998
Yeah. In all truth, love him or hate him, of all of the champions Jermaine Taylor has probably defended his title against the hardest competition. Hopkins rematch, Winky, Ouma and Spinks (who, while outside of their best weightclass, were still world class fighters in their own right).
He's not doing it for his legacy or anything like that though. It's all about money for him. If fighting a no name journeyman made him the same money as fighting someone like Winky, he wouldn't think twice about picking the journeyman.

Someone like Wlad would choose the better fighter, I think.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #8
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
He's not doing it for his legacy or anything like that though. It's all about money for him. If fighting a no name journeyman made him the same money as fighting someone like Winky, he wouldn't think twice about picking the journeyman.

Someone like Wlad would choose the better fighter, I think.
I don't care too much about his motivation really.

Money has ****ed boxing up so much and prevented so many awesome fights that when money causes someone to want to fight and to take on the best, it's a good thing.
codeman99998 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

cotto duh
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Off the top of my head. Feel free to copy, alter, and add.

Heavy: Wlad, Peter, Chagaev, Ibragimov, and, sorry, but Ruiz, who will fight anyone anywhere any time.

Cruiser: Darnell Wilson.

Light heavy: Glen Johnson, Chad Dawson, BHop

Super Middle: Kessler

Middle: Pavlik

Light middle: Dzinziruk (sp?)

Welter: Cotto

Jr. Welter: Malignaggi

Lightweight: Juan Diaz

Super feather: Pacman, Marquez

Anything below, I don't follow too closely.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothrop
Off the top of my head. Feel free to copy, alter, and add.

Heavy: Wlad, Peter, Chagaev, Ibragimov, and, sorry, but Ruiz, who will fight anyone anywhere any time.

Cruiser: Darnell Wilson.

Light heavy: Glen Johnson, Chad Dawson, BHop

Super Middle: Kessler

Middle: Pavlik

Light middle: Dzinziruk (sp?)

Welter: Cotto

Jr. Welter: Malignaggi

Lightweight: Juan Diaz

Super feather: Pacman, Marquez

Anything below, I don't follow too closely.
Dzinzdruk or however u spell it is doing what most Universum fighters do and that's stay in Germany making defenses against marginal opposition. That doesn't sound overly ambitious to me.

Chad Dawson is a very good pick though. He went after Adamke and now supposedly he's gonna fight Diaconu. That's called manning up and facing the best.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #12
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Here's 2 who don't:

- PBF

- JT
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #13
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Dzinzdruk or however u spell it is doing what most Universum fighters do and that's stay in Germany making defenses against marginal opposition. That doesn't sound overly ambitious to me.

Chad Dawson is a very good pick though. He went after Adamke and now supposedly he's gonna fight Diaconu. That's called manning up and facing the best.
Dzinzdruk is being ducked. There's no point in leaving Germany if nobody will fight him. Funny how American fighters never get shit for staying on American soil.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #14
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothrop
Dzinzdruk is being ducked. There's no point in leaving Germany if nobody will fight him. Funny how American fighters never get shit for staying on American soil.
I think Dawson is going to Montreal to fight Diaconu but that's besides the point. Nobody outside of Germany knows who Sergei is. You need people to know who u are in order to be ducked.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #15
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Chico Corralas was this guy.
acb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum