Old 05-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Samart Payakaroon KO5 Lupe Pintor

Here is the extraordinary KO:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Payakaroon fought world champ Netrnoi Vorasingh on his debut, winning a wide decision over 10 (haven't seen this fight - anyone?). Admittedly, he had already proven himself an extraordinary athlete with an exceptional left hand in his Mhuy Thai career before being matched with WBC champ Lupe Pintor (who failed to make the super-bantamweight limit, coming in at around 125) - in only his 11th pro fight. Pintor was on the wane, but he was also an experienced road warrior who was outweighing his opponent on the night. What a fantastic win.

However - i've also heard the occasional rumble that it was fixed. With the title technically vacant going into the bout, it is true that Pintor had less to lose than would otherwise have been the case - anyone hear anything about this?

Any opinions on Payakaroon more generally are very welcome.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Samart Payakaroon KO5 Lupe Pintor

Bob Mee on Lupe Pintor:

"A tough, all-action brawler with a fast left hook, Lupe Pintor fought his way out of poverty to win two world titles. He loved to work the body and beceame a big favourite in Mexico and on the West Coast, where he sometimes rode his luck but always gave big hearted performances.

Pintor was lucky to win a 15 round decision over the great Carlos Zarate in June of 79, but went on to prove himself an excellent champion...After losing in 14 round to WBC super-bantamweight champion Wiflredo Gomez in Decemeber of 1982 he relinquished the bantamweight title. This battle-hardened little man, who learned to box in order to protect his pitch as an ice-cream seller, won the WBC 122lb belt in August of 1985 when he outpointed compatriot Juan Menza in Mexico City, but was then KO'd in 5 by brilliant southpaw Samart Payakarun (sic) in Bangkok in January of 1986."
Old 05-31-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Pintor was my favourite Bantamweight for the better part of 6 years. It cut me deep when he lost to Gomez, putting up such a valiant effort. H2H i think Pintor is easily a top 15 Bantam ever.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Interesting stuff JT. Didn't know that about you. Have you seen the Payakaroon fight?

What did you make of Fenech's effort against Samarat? I read that he didn't really train for that fight (more fool him).
Old 05-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Samart is regarded as one of the greatest muay thai fighters ever he won Lumpinee titles in four different weight classes, he's worshipped in Thailand he does movies and sings. Here is a great highlight of him:
[gv]5491658146184991961&q=Samart+Payakaroon&ei=XE1BSLbYApP8rQLnlZmcCQ&hl=en[/gv]
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Cool video. He could bang allright.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

...............Thanks for posting that McGrain.......

Another little tidbit; after being stopped by Fenech, Payakarun retired to become a buddhist monk.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
Another little tidbit; after being stopped by Fenech, Payakarun retired to become a buddhist monk.
No ****!!!

Before then, in that case, he launched a short lived come back and a series of pop-records ("pop-records"...Jesus). Quite the life.

More and mroe I get the impression that apart from maybe one or two colourfully named superstars, there just isn't enough exposure for these men, even here, in the classic forum. Interesting stories and great, great fighters.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Interesting stuff JT. Didn't know that about you. Have you seen the Payakaroon fight?

What did you make of Fenech's effort against Samarat? I read that he didn't really train for that fight (more fool him).
BORKED

Mate i lived and breathed the Fenech fight. The mate and i used to drink copious amounts of beers to the Fenech explosion. It was fascinating to watch him learn his trade (won the title so early) on suposedly superior (and definitely favoured) fighters, where he most often beat them down to a pulp. Coffee, McCrory, both very favoured yet Jeff was just too damn tough. VC was fave too from memory but Fenech beat him down in a brutal dirty stouch.

HUGE fan of Pintor tho. I wanted a unification vs Chandler. Chandler was classier, but Pintor was tougher. The experts always favoured Jeff, but i am not so sure. It was way later that i came to like Jeff Chandler a lot as well. Call it nostalgia.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah, Fenech was some man, I think I been guilty of underating the guy in the past.

Shame the YouTube video doesn't have the whole fight...that was the first time Fenech was every down, right?
Old 05-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Christ, watching that fight again, if Payakaroon really failed to train properly for this fight, he picked the wrong man to come in ill prepared for...
Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #12
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

................I still haven't found anyone that has a copy of Pintor-Meza.

I'll never forget having to work that day, then reading about how great the fight had been a month later in the magazines.

A rueful memory of loss.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, Fenech was some man, I think I been guilty of underating the guy in the past.

Shame the YouTube video doesn't have the whole fight...that was the first time Fenech was every down, right?
Yeah, i think he put Fenech down in the first.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Christ, watching that fight again, if Payakaroon really failed to train properly for this fight, he picked the wrong man to come in ill prepared for...
No fighter on earth put more pressure on than Fenech for a time. He just wore them down with sheer workrate, intensity and savagery. Drag em down take em out stuff, and nobody did it better. He did the same in Nelson I. Not a huge hitter but that made him all the more gruelling in a way.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
No fighter on earth put more pressure on than Fenech for a time. He just wore them down with sheer workrate, intensity and savagery. Drag em down take em out stuff, and nobody did it better. He did the same in Nelson I. Not a huge hitter but that made him all the more gruelling in a way.
He shows good punch resistance in that round though, but he doesn't show any real mobility, does he? It's like he came ill prepared with the wrong fight plan...just found himself overwhelmed, as you say, by sheer intensity.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum