Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Predictions: Vitali, Margarito will destroy Peter, Cotto

The only caveat I'll add here is that this is provided Vitali is healthy through training camp.

Peter-V. Klitschko:

Peter is made for Vitali. His style, lack of defense and lack of stamina are perfect for Vitali. Yes, Vitali wil have some rust and, yes, Vitali is older. But he is going to forever end the Peter hype and any questions anyone had about Rahman. This fight probably won't go beyond 6 or 7 rounds. Once Vitali settles in and realizes he can hit Peter at will, Vitali will make the knockdowns that McCline put on Peter look like nothing. Peter will be annhilated.

Outcome: Vitali by TKO/KO (barring injury)

Margarito/Cotto:

This is the fight which will essentially end Floyd Mayweather's career, or at least his career as the welterweight 'champion.'

After this fight, Margarito will have two belts and he will own the division. And Floyd will never fight him, ever. And if he thought about it he will repent after he sees what Margo does to Cotto.

Cotto is a talented fighter with superb timing. He is better than I thought he was even though I thought Mosley beat him. He is not going to embarrass himself against Margarito.

That said, I see almost no way that Cotto makes it to the final bell. Margarito's size, strength, length, workrate and power will overwhelm the shaky-chinned Puerto Rican and Cotto will lose and be stopped for the first time in his career. Cotto will not be able to phase Margo or get his respect (please, anyone who is deluding themselves that Cotto will hurt him to the body, stop dreaming) and he will be reduced to trying to defend against Margo's 100-punches-per-round barrage and getting on his bike to run away.

He will be able to hang in for some time. But unlike someone such as Floyd who could probably run for 12 rounds against Margo, eventually Cotto's slickness will not be enough, he will be caught, he will be dropped and he will be stopped. He is going to get the beatdown of his life and because he probably knows this, I give him HUGE props for taking the fight. He has 1000 times the guts of Mayweather and is to be commended for making the matchup.

I think it would take Divine Intervention for Cotto to win the fight. I don't see any scenario in which he could do so, and see virtually no way that he hears the final bell.

Any Tony Margarito haters better get whatever you can out of your dislike before the fight, because after this scrap goes down, Margo will rule the welterweight division. Floyd is finished as the lead horse for the class, and the only person for Margo to fight after this will be Williams in a rematch.

Outcome: Margarito by TKO/KO mid-to-late rounds

Two fights, two locks. If Vitali stays healthy, these two are in the bank.

Paul F. Villarreal
paulfv is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
RealIzm
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I don't always sleep with my eyes open, but when I do it's because of Maravilla.
vCash: 800
Default Re: Predictions: Vitali, Margarito will destroy Peter, Cotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfv
The only caveat I'll add here is that this is provided Vitali is healthy through training camp.

Peter-V. Klitschko:

Peter is made for Vitali. His style, lack of defense and lack of stamina are perfect for Vitali. Yes, Vitali wil have some rust and, yes, Vitali is older. But he is going to forever end the Peter hype and any questions anyone had about Rahman. This fight probably won't go beyond 6 or 7 rounds. Once Vitali settles in and realizes he can hit Peter at will, Vitali will make the knockdowns that McCline put on Peter look like nothing. Peter will be annhilated.

Outcome: Vitali by TKO/KO (barring injury)

Margarito/Cotto:

This is the fight which will essentially end Floyd Mayweather's career, or at least his career as the welterweight 'champion.'

After this fight, Margarito will have two belts and he will own the division. And Floyd will never fight him, ever. And if he thought about it he will repent after he sees what Margo does to Cotto.

Cotto is a talented fighter with superb timing. He is better than I thought he was even though I thought Mosley beat him. He is not going to embarrass himself against Margarito.

That said, I see almost no way that Cotto makes it to the final bell. Margarito's size, strength, length, workrate and power will overwhelm the shaky-chin Puerto Rican and Cotto will lose and be stopped for the first time in his career. Cotto will not be able to phase Margo or get his respect (please, anyone who is deluding themselves that Cotto will hurt him to the body, stop dreaming) and he will be reduced to trying to defend against Margo's 100-punches-per-round barrage and getting on his bike to run away.

He will be able to hang in for some time. But unlike someone such as Floyd who could probably run for 12 rounds against Margo, eventually Cotto's slickness will not be enough, he will be caught, he will be dropped and he will be stopped. He is going to get the beatdown of his life and because he probably knows this, I give him HUGE props for taking the fight. He has 1000 times the guts of Mayweather and is to be commended for making the fight.

I think it would take Divine Intervention for Cotto to win the fight. I don't see any scenario in which he could do so, and see virtually no way that he hears the final bell.

Any Tony Margarito haters better get whatever you can out of your dislike before the fight, because after this scrap goes down, Margo will rule the welterweight division. Floyd is finished as the lead horse for the class, and the only person for Margo to fight after this will be Williams.

Outcome: Margarito by TKO/KO mid-to-late rounds

Two fights, two locks. If Vitali stays healthy, these two are in the bank.

Paul F. Villarreal
Good to see you back mate
I'm not sure I agree with either
Cotto is the easier pick for me as he has the serious advantage of speed here..this was very obvious with both of them on the same card..also Cotto can fight this fight anyway he wants to and still win

Peter I think will keep Vitali into politics, while stylistically your right as far as Peters style playing into Vitalis hands but its too hard to tell right now espescially for a comeback fight for Vitali..Peter has the momentum and I still havent forgotten what he did to Wlad(the better brother)..a tough one but I'm going with Peter by mid round KO
RealIzm is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

I think you are right about the Margarito-Cotto fight, wrong about the Peter-Klitschko fight. Presuming Vitali even makes it to the ring without a pre-fight injury, it is hard to back an aging fighter coming off four year layoffs against a young fighter in his prime
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealIzm
Good to see you back mate
I'm not sure I agree with either
Cotto is the easier pick for me as he has the serious advantage of speed here..this was very obvious with both of them on the same card..also Cotto can fight this fight anyway he wants to and still win

Peter I think will keep Vitali into politics, while stylistically your right as far as Peters style playing into Vitalis hands but its too hard to tell right now espescially for a comeback fight for Vitali..Peter has the momentum and I still havent forgotten what he did to Wlad(the better brother)..a tough one but I'm going with Peter by mid round KO
What's up, man?!

You know, if I thought about the Clottey fight enough maybe I could see Cotto lasting the 12 rounds, but I don't see it.

Margarito has waited his entire career for this matchup. He was pissed he didn't fight his fight against Williams, and boy did Golden Johnson and Cintron pay the price for that. I think Margo is going to come in at one step below an all-out fury for this tilt.

Cotto is a very skilled fighter, but he is simply too small for the beast that is Margo. He will not be able to keep Margo off of him, and that will be his undoing. I think Margo will look something like Aaron Pryor did against Arguello the first time -- totally possessed and unstoppable.

Maybe -- maybe -- he lasts the fight but he is going to get pounded. And I really don't think he will make it to the end.

Peace, bro!

paulfv is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
paulfv
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
I think you are right about the Margarito-Cotto fight, wrong about the Peter-Klitschko fight. Presuming Vitali even makes it to the ring without a pre-fight injury, it is hard to back an aging fighter coming off four year layoffs against a young fighter in his prime
Fair enough. All I hope is that Vitali doesn't get injured in training. PLEASE let him make it to the fight. That's my only concern right now.
paulfv is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
RealIzm
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I don't always sleep with my eyes open, but when I do it's because of Maravilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfv
What's up, man?!

You know, if I thought about the Clottey fight enough maybe I could see Cotto lasting the 12 rounds, but I don't see it.

Margarito has waited his entire career for this matchup. He was pissed he didn't fight his fight against Williams, and boy did Golden Johnson and Cintron pay the price for that. I think Margo is going to come in at one step below an all-out fury for this tilt.

Cotto is a very skilled fighter, but he is simply too small for the beast that is Margo. He will not be able to keep Margo off of him, and that will be his undoing. I think Margo will look something like Aaron Pryor did against Arguello the first time -- totally possessed and unstoppable.

Maybe -- maybe -- he lasts the fight but he is going to get pounded. And I really don't think he will make it to the end.

Peace, bro!

Well Paul lets really think about this......
Cotto is a much more versatile fighter and arguably much smarter....he can box on the outside and potshot counter Margo all nite long if he wants to...But the serious difference here is the SPEED...Aside from the speed Cotto ALWAYS digs deep when he needs to.....
So Cotto is Quicker, Faster, Smarter and arguably as Powerful...I'm already anxious for the post fight discussion
RealIzm is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Barber-ian
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealIzm
Well Paul lets really think about this......
Cotto is a much more versatile fighter and arguably much smarter....he can box on the outside and potshot counter Margo all nite long if he wants to...But the serious difference here is the SPEED...Aside from the speed Cotto ALWAYS digs deep when he needs to.....
So Cotto is Quicker, Faster, Smarter and arguably as Powerful...I'm already anxious for the post fight discussion
I'll put speed and quickness as the same trait and agree Cotto's got the edge. Smarts? I suppose he's more able to adapt his game plan mid-fight (Chop-Chop, Mosely, etc.), whereas Marg does his thing no matter what. But I have to give power to the big, awkward, nasty, rangy whalloping punches that Margarito throws non stop from round 1-12. He's bigger. He's taller. He's got leverage. Just physics there.

Also, don't think the smaller Cotto can pot shot Marg from the outside -- doing that will keep him on the end of Tony's shots for the whole, short night.
Barber-ian is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
RealIzm
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber-ian
I'll put speed and quickness as the same trait and agree Cotto's got the edge. Smarts? I suppose he's more able to adapt his game plan mid-fight (Chop-Chop, Mosely, etc.), whereas Marg does his thing no matter what. But I have to give power to the big, awkward, nasty, rangy whalloping punches that Margarito throws non stop from round 1-12. He's bigger. He's taller. He's got leverage. Just physics there.

Also, don't think the smaller Cotto can pot shot Marg from the outside -- doing that will keep him on the end of Tony's shots for the whole, short night.
You are seriously underestimating Cotto's jab and overestimating Margos ability at distance....Margos style somewhat negates his slight reach advantage here.....again it's the speed coupled Cottos underrated jab and superior timing(countering)
Think about it if your 3 times faster than your opponent you can easily time them and counter them into oblivion
which is exactly what I expect to happen
RealIzm is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
KobeIsGod
Who Necks?!?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1001

Training Camp UD Vitali
Cotto TKO 11 Margarito
KobeIsGod is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

- lateral movement befuddles margarito. he's too squared up.

- cotto's jab will beat margarito to the punch

- mosley and judah both have snappier shots and faster shots and couldn't stop cotto. margarito wears you down - one thudding punch doesn't get the job done.

- margarito CAN be hurt to the body and he was stunned against clottey and williams. margarito's long body provides a big target for cotto and his looping slow shots give cotto plenty of opportunities to counter.

we'll know for sure on july 26th, but here's my prediction:

COTTO BY PUNISHING TKO
JMP is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3000

Like your breakdown bro...
I appreciate the time it took to drop it.
Good point's on the Margo Vs. Cotto
you made it hard for me to disagree with you.

Peter Vs. Klitscho can go either way IMO.
I can live with either, but a Good Vitali will always beat a good Peter.
whoever shows up that night at their best will win.
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #12
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

and why would margo fight pw in a rematch when pw will lose once again on saturday?

battle of the guys coming off a loss maybe?
JMP is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 AM   #13
RealIzm
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M-P
- lateral movement befuddles margarito. he's too squared up.

- cotto's jab will beat margarito to the punch

- mosley and judah both have snappier shots and faster shots and couldn't stop cotto. margarito wears you down - one thudding punch doesn't get the job done.

- margarito CAN be hurt to the body and he was stunned against clottey and williams. margarito's long body provides a big target for cotto and his looping slow shots give cotto plenty of opportunities to counter.

we'll know for sure on july 26th, but here's my prediction:

COTTO BY PUNISHING TKO
Very good point about lateral movement with Cotto. I tend to class this along with his ring intelligence and generalship
RealIzm is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 AM   #14
doubleplaidinum
Maravilla
ESB Addict

vCash: 1734

cotto will beat margo.
doubleplaidinum is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
Shifty107
The MARVELOUS ONE!