Hearns knocks him out in the second or third
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Tommy Hearns Vs James Toney

Well, if they were just as big i'd put big money on Hearns. He has a great style to face Toney: long reach, quick snappy jab and power to keep him honest. That always works well against defensive masters without big power.... just watch the Jones fight.

However, Hearns' best weight was 154lbs whereas Toney was a natural light heavyweight or even cruiserweight. I think Toney is just too big and his chin neutralises The Motorcity Cobra's power.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

This is an intriguing match-up. Pontius has cogent points as usual, though I disagree that Toney is a natural LHW. Headcase Toney was a natural MW who happened to either

A. have an eating disorder.
B. lacked the discipline to regulate his diet.

Take your pick. The man was 5'10 with a medium frame. In boxing lingo, that's a MW. I think he surrendered to his gluttony when he was a full-grown man at 24. Psychologically, James Toney was a fat man waiting to happen.

The question here is whether 1985 Hearns had enough hand speed and offensive machinery to neutralize the flawless defensive and countering capabilities of 1991 James Toney (McCallum I).

I'd say he did. I'd also expect Hearns to start fast to test that chin of Toney, and then if the chin holds, control the fight thereafter with those long laser-shots that hurt. Toney would have to be very careful about opening up on a 26 years old Hearns like he did on a 34 year old McCallum. Hearns would do far more damage. This could look like the Jones fight with Hearns proving to dangerous for Toney to control the pace.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
bladerunner
El Intocable
East Side VIP

vCash: 21502

Toney by KO.
bladerunner is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Ted Stickles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Toney by KO in the 7th or 8th
Ted Stickles is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Im picking Toney here, maybe just because of natural size, there may not be as much of a difference as on paper would imply there, but i'll still pick him in this h2h 1
teeto is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Chinxkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What I liked about Hearns is what I didn't like about Toney, and it's already been touched on here, but Tommy Hearns had an intensity in the ring that could be Herculean in effect. In an even up match, that can be the deciding factor. It's something I've seen in the eyes of other fighters, Roberto Duran and Oscar DeLahoya spring to mind, whereas Toney sometimes looked as though there were plenty of other places he'd rather be. No one lacking of heart will last too long in this business, but there is that heart for the game ...
Chinxkid is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinxkid
What I liked about Hearns is what I didn't like about Toney, and it's already been touched on here, but Tommy Hearns had an intensity in the ring that could be Herculean in effect. In an even up match, that can be the deciding factor. It's something I've seen in the eyes of other fighters, Roberto Duran and Oscar DeLahoya spring to mind, whereas Toney sometimes looked as though there were plenty of other places he'd rather be. No one lacking of heart will last too long in this business, but there is that heart for the game ...
Good point. When has Hearns ever walked into the ring without a sixpack? He was always ready and well-armed with more character in his chest than Toney had cake and ice cream in his belly.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hearns is just a different class of fighter than Toney. I would put my money on the Hitman every time - his only problems with Toney would come from size, but we're talking a matchup at 154/160 here so it won't be too much of a factor.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP

vCash: 3000

If Toney thinks to fight off the ropes and slip & counter against Hearns.....

in the immortal words of Omar Suarez
"Eeeeee Pobresito...my boss is gonna stick your heads up your asses faster than a rabbit gets ****ed!"

Love Toney & his defence, Just don't see him winning a defensive type fight Vs. Hearns, he would have to go all out and toe to toe. and that is just hard to belive considering we are talking about Toney the undisputed layed back counter punching champ of all-time.

Hearns by UD
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #12
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Counterpunching Toney doesn't have the hunting skills to catch up with Hearns. Toney could be hurt and dropped at middleweight too. Hearns early or he cruises to a decision.
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #13
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

The 1985/1886 Hearns was a destructive force at middleweight and still retained all of his speed and reflexes. Hell, he supposedly retains most of his speed and reflexes even today. It's possible that Tommy gets Toney out of there early because although Toney has a good chin, it's not quite Haglerish (who's is?). As per usual Tommy will go all out in the first 2 rounds for the KO and then settle down after that if he can't get the job done early. Toney's natural ability to counterpunch will be undone here because he won't be busy enough to outwork Hearns and he won't be inclined to expose himself too much to the Hearns' arsenal. Another factor is the long range hooks to the body from Tommy - James will not like those at all.

Tommy wins a competitive fight by a comfortable UD, but don't rule out an early KO.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2008, 04:19 AM   #14
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Toney by late KO, after trailing on points. Very much alike the Nunn fight. Hearns always fades late in the fight.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No early KO; just a fast yet steady lesson from Thomas Hearns, supposing the fight is a contest of middleweights.
Quick Cash is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum