Default Least athletic SUCCESSFUL boxer in history

Who is it?
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Least athletic boxer in history

Butterbean popped in my head but he was a strong guy and that is part of being an athlete. I dont know, Eric Crumble?
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Least athletic SUCCESSFUL boxer in history

rocky marciano
he one of my fav but i gots to speak the truth
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #4
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tays001
rocky marciano
I don't know about this. He was actually a pretty good all around athlete in high school and got a tryout with the Cubs. I think he was a strong man with a great deal of stamina and might have done well in sports such as wrestling or gymnastics if given the chance. Don't forget he didn't start his boxing career until well into his twenties and still managed to become outstanding.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #5
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Greg Haugen? He was not exceptionally fast. He did not have a lot of power. He doesn't have the greatest chin ever. His stamina is good.

Don't get me wrong, he could take a punch. He had stamina. Look, to be a champ, you have to be good at some things.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
joe33

vCash:

Tony tubbs?,he did win a belt
Old 07-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #7
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets
Greg Haugen? He was not exceptionally fast. He did not have a lot of power. He doesn't have the greatest chin ever. His stamina is good.

Don't get me wrong, he could take a punch. He had stamina. Look, to be a champ, you have to be good at some things.
LEAST ATHLETIC you dumb ****.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Suck my dick Rodney. I know you want to.

It is least athletic SUCCESSFUL boxer in history. Haugen is not athletic. Swallow that, and then swallow this.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
rocky marciano

He was one of the most athletic, a three sport guy in HS, who got a tryout in the majors, who had more stamina than damn near any heavy or cruiser who ever lived, and was as strong as an ox. What more do you want?

Someone, please give me an absolute definition of athletic? Is it posing and preening with cut muscles while you can't deliver a basic combo or fall at the first jab?

The term "athletic" or its horrible counterpart "athleticism" can not be graded in a vacuum. They need to be judged within the context of an athletic endeavor. Thus, any legit World Champion is extremely athletic by definition; he excels at the top level in an athletic forum. If you want to talk about guys who had skills in more than just boxing, that is different. But proficiency in basketball or baseball or rugby does not translate into being better boxer.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #10
tays001
ESB ELITE SQUAD
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
He was one of the most athletic, a three sport guy in HS, who got a tryout in the majors, who had more stamina than damn near any heavy or cruiser who ever lived, and was as strong as an ox. What more do you want?

Someone, please give me an absolute definition of athletic? Is it posing and preening with cut muscles while you can't deliver a basic combo or fall at the first jab?

The term "athletic" or its horrible counterpart "athleticism" can not be graded in a vacuum. They need to be judged within the context of an athletic endeavor. Thus, any legit World Champion is extremely athletic by definition; he excels at the top level in an athletic forum. If you want to talk about guys who had skills in more than just boxing, that is different. But proficiency in basketball or baseball or rugby does not translate into being better boxer.
he wasn't very nimble on his feet could he of competed in football , basketball , track, base ball and hockey ? no and he failed at base ball
tays001 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
rocky marciano
This is not true. He was a very good baseball and football player.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #12
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
he wasn't very nimble on his feet could he of competed in football , basketball , track, base ball and hockey ? no and he failed at base ball
Checking on this, he only played football one year, as a sophomore in high school, breaking in as a starter on the state championship team. He dropped out of school after that year.

Calling him a failure at baseball is a bit much. He seems to have been a good prospect whose career was interrupted by WWII. Who knows? And how many champions have done better at a second sport.

Last edited by Thread Stealer; 03-16-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Marciano also injured his thowing arm. Reason why the tryouts were a poor showing. Marciano may not look nimble ete. But what other style was he going to used for his body type?? He had the smallest reach in heavyweight history, so he was NOT going to out box any one. He was also a fast runner. Check how fast he ran to the netural conor in the Walcott fight. The reason he seem slow on foot was because he perfer to have his feet level to generated that knockout power.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #14
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus

A guy without exceptional physical gifts....without particularly amazing natural reflexes, stamina, "chin", power, or speed, who compensates with boxing intelligence, skill, heart, or other similar factors.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #15
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Marciano also injured his thowing arm. Reason why the tryouts were a poor showing. Marciano may not look nimble ete. But what other style was he going to used for his body type?? He had the smallest reach in heavyweight history, so he was NOT going to out box any one. He was also a fast runner. Check how fast he ran to the netural conor in the Walcott fight. The reason he seem slow on foot was because he perfer to have his feet level to generated that knockout power.
Anyway--how can one be a catcher without being nimble. The other team would bunt you to death. Catchers normally do not run well, but they are certainly nimble.

On his running--I have seen a film of Marciano running after football passes and he really doesn't look that slow. Linebacker is not a position for a super slow man either.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum