Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #151
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Agreed. Essentially saying 'the 90s had better lower weight fighters. I base this on footage but haven't seen the best little guys of the 80s but I'll defend my position anyway and call everyone else bias, that'll work'
You clearly have a bias towards the 80's fighters if you've bothered to watch the lower weight guys from that decade.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #152
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
I have seen fights of jeff fenech, a few khosai galaxy fights and I have seen a few fights from wilfredo gomez. No i dont consider myself as some expert on jung coo chang and dont plan to watch his fights anyways. Orlando and finito were regularly top 5 p4p, jung wouldnt have been regarded any higher.
but have you seen khaokor galaxy?
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #153
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
You clearly have a bias towards the 80's fighters if you've bothered to watch the lower weight guys from that decade.
Or if you pick one over the other only knowing about one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
but have you seen khaokor galaxy?
Maybe when he absolutely thrashed Vasquez.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #154
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How has this thread gone on THIS long... This is a no contest... Floyd would NEVER fight SRR... Floyd would never be held in the same esteem if he fought when SRR fought or was around at the same time in any era... if they did fight.. SRR would crush floyd and stop him. SImple
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #155
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 90000

SRR's natural weight was WW. Floyd was SFW so is really not up to debate.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #156
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Do people not know that SRR was much bigger than Floyd by at least 2 weight classes.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #157
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Nah man.

People don't know.

Make a thread and spread the word son.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #158
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Nah man.

People don't know.

No point. There is no cure for stupidity.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #159
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
Nah man.

People don't know.

Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #160
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

The size difference isn't really that much. Robinson's peak saw him entering the ring at about 150lbs. Floyd has been entering the ring at 140lbs or so since he was in his early 20's. Robinson was 3 inches taller and his reach was practically identical.

Robinson would win big and it'd have less to do with a size advantage in his favor and more to do with a gulf in class in his favor.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #161
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

SRR is a natural WW, while Floyd is a natural 135-140lber. However Floyd peak weight was WW 147lb while SRR is 160 MW. So at least two weight class difference. SRL is prolly about 1 weight class over Floyd.

Also SRR is not in a different class than Floyd in terms of skill. If anything Floyd is the more talented boxer. However SRR does have much more power, strength and probably more durable p4p.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #162
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

In terms of size, it's a Leonard-Duran kind of match up. Robinson would obviously be bigger, but it wouldn't be that telling in the fight.

There is a gulf in class between the two. Robinson doesn't hold every advantage, of course, but as overall fighters, Robinson was very clearly the better of the two. He's as good as anyone ever and probably even better. Mayweather, brilliant as he is, isn't quite in that same company.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #163
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Yes he was regarded that high. And if you judge on film only, great, so do I, and Chang is clearly one of the most naturally talented fighters of all time. The fact you 'don't plan to watch' any of his fights shows you up. You're unwilling to look at the big picture, hence why your views are expressed with all the panache of a one legged cheetah.

I would suggest you do what I do: keep your mouth shut jnless you have a ****ing clue, which in this case, you don't.
I dont have to do anything you freaking prick. At least i have the courage to state that I dont watch chang, you have probably seen every boxer by the way you bark. Chang doesnt represent the entire era. If i think mark johnson, finito, carbajal and orlando in general are better fighters than the guys from the 80's that i have seen like galaxy, chandler, chitalada, than i can make my opinion on it. Honestly suggesting that someone is clueless if they view the 90's lower weightsas more talented is a pretty ignorant statement. Its downright laughable how much of an ego you really have. Since you love talking about chang so much, i'll try and find the video where he gets completely schooled by gonzalez, if by age 26 hes shot as ****, it shows he really isnt all that and your just overrating him because you have a boner for the 80s.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #164
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
In terms of size, it's a Leonard-Duran kind of match up. Robinson would obviously be bigger, but it wouldn't be that telling in the fight.

There is a gulf in class between the two. Robinson doesn't hold every advantage, of course, but as overall fighters, Robinson was very clearly the better of the two. He's as good as anyone ever and probably even better. Mayweather, brilliant as he is, isn't quite in that same company.

From my POV i think is pretty obvious that Floyd is much talented/complete fighter with more versatility. He seem to be able to do it all defensively and offensively and in all ranges. SRR like to be aggressive and is hard hitting. Two two attributes is pretty loud and clear so i don't see how SRR is in a different class in terms of skill.

But I respect ur opinion.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #165
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
I dont have to do anything you freaking prick. At least i have the courage to state that I dont watch chang, you have probably seen every boxer by the way you bark. Chang doesnt represent the entire era. If i think mark johnson, finito, carbajal and orlando in general are better fighters than the guys from the 80's that i have seen like galaxy, chandler, chitalada, than i can make my opinion on it. Honestly suggesting that someone is clueless if they view the 90's lower weightsas more talented is a pretty ignorant statement. Its downright laughable how much of an ego you really have. Since you love talking about chang so much, i'll try and find the video where he gets completely schooled by gonzalez, if by age 26 hes shot as ****, it shows he really isnt all that and your just overrating him because you have a boner for the 80s.
I've seen it. His legs are gone and Chiquita, one of the best light flys of the era, gets off first and outpunches Chang even with his back against the ropes. Not 'completely schooled' at all, but a comfortable win for Chiquita.

Again, he'd been champ for years had some hard fights and beaten some top quality operators. 'Shows he really isn't all that'? You are a ****ing retard, or about 14. Also, the gear he did have left at that time was enough to give two lineal flyweight champions very tough fights after Gonzalez. He still had enough natural ability to hang in there, if not put on the masterclasses of his youth.

I don't profess to have seen everything ever, but as I say, I don't make sweeping remarks about 'so and so is better' if I can't back it up.

It helps to avoid getting called out on it and looking stupid. Like you are now.

And no, Chang isn't indicative of the whole era but light fly, fly and super fly were extremely healthy divisions.

Both era's suffered from lack of unifications a lot.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum