Old 06-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #106
marciano1952
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Dempsey .Vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49
No but Dempsey got knocked out in 1 round out cold by a 37 year old man.
Dempsey had not eaten for 3 days befor that fight
marciano1952 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #107
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciano1952
Dempsey had not eaten for 3 days befor that fight
According to...?
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #108
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
I don't have the 4th round of that fight, so i'll take your word on it.

I don't think Dempsey would've been happy with what someone called "Dempsey1238" said about him though! Guess he liked you better before the crash.
Dont get me wrong, I am a Dempsey fan, but film does not lie. After I am done cleaning the car, I go though the 2nd fight, and do snap shots of when Tunney landed clean on Dempsey's jaw. Only have 8 rounds of fight 1 though.

I dont bad mouth Dempsey, much, its just he is imo, not the champion that Rocky Marciano was. Besides we all ready got a lot of Marciano subnames, so Dempsey is a new mode in that regard.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 03:48 PM   #109
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
What whole series of punches did you see Firpo land? I saw one at a time sweeping swings.Do you think Tunney would have difficulty landing on Marciano,or Sharkey ? And bear in mind this was not a prime Dempsey he was past his best,the easy life had softened him and his legs were not the same.Have you seen Dempsey being outpointed for 13 rds by a 37 year old ? Or dropped by a 40 year old LH?
Well, Firpo landed right after right before knocking Dempsey from the ring. When Dempsey came back in, he landed another series of rights and some lefts.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #110
Grebfan9
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hi Dempsey,

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of Layne's fights, other than
the KO loss to Marciano.

Grebfan9
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
And Rex Layne was not a big puncher?? I think Layne is on pair in regards to power, with Firpo and Buddy Baer.
Grebfan9 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #111
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

No Layne was not in the class of a Liston, Foreman, Frazier or Tyson for punching power. Patterson destroyed Moore who gave Marciano a tough time. Nuff said.
groove is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #112
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
No Layne was not in the class of a Liston, Foreman, Frazier or Tyson for punching power. Patterson destroyed Moore who gave Marciano a tough time. Nuff said.

moore gave marciano a tough time? moore lost nearly every round and was floored 4-5 times in the marciano bout. thats a tough time?

as for Rex Layne, no one said hes in foremans,tyson listons class as a puncher. no way, but layne had a really heavy right hand. Layne burst into the heavyweight rankings at a young age despite being thrown into the wolves and part of it was his right hand. boxing experts thought layne was going to be the next heavyweight champ, not marciano. He was a highly touted puncher. Rex Layne was similiar to firpo in many ways except he was more skilled, and slightly smaller. heres what ESBs john garfield claimed Layne could really crack with the right, and when he first raged out of utah full of piss and vinegar he would be a handful for anyone. I used to have a quote by him, somewhere, but i lost it.

Personally I think Joe Louis even in 1950s hit harder than rex layne. louis was old but bulked up 6'2 218lb and as they say power is the last thing to go. Louis was still plenty heavy fisted. especially on those sub 200lb heavyweights.

Last edited by SuzieQ49; 06-07-2008 at 09:30 PM.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 PM   #113
Carr

Marciano basically guaranteed
Carr is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #114
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo Modica
Dempsey was NEVER knocked out. There is one KO loss on his record, but that fight was fixed. Dempsey was unknown at the time and accepted 500 dollars to take a dive in the first round to Fireman Jim Flynn. He wouyld have made far less if he had won, and he needed the money to pay off his mother's debts.
And when did all the "it was a fix!" talk come about? That's right, after Dempsey was champion and one of the four biggest sport stars. I've seen reports and while they vary on the finishing punch/combo, there was not one mention of anything suspicious.

Also i don't really see why they would fix the fight so that a 37 year old lightheavyweight in the end of his days could lose to a nearly undefeated, exciting prospect. But that is beyond the point. The point is that all this talk of it being a fix only started years later. Historic revisionism.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #115
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo Modica
When Dempsey and Flynn met for a rematch, it was an easy 1st round KO for Dempsey.
Word goes around that fight was a fix. Flynn was old and took more money to lay down than to win.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:55 AM   #116
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
And when did all the "it was a fix!" talk come about? That's right, after Dempsey was champion and one of the four biggest sport stars. I've seen reports and while they vary on the finishing punch/combo, there was not one mention of anything suspicious.

Also i don't really see why they would fix the fight so that a 37 year old lightheavyweight in the end of his days could lose to a nearly undefeated, exciting prospect. But that is beyond the point. The point is that all this talk of it being a fix only started years later. Historic revisionism.
who would seriously care about it being a fix if it was an ordinary fighter or something? Oh yeah people just made up the idea of it being a fix.
dmt is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #117
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Better opposition than Tunney? I dont think so.Tunney would have stabbed Marciano's head off his footwork would have kept him out of danger,If Rocky caught up with Tunney it would be late in the fight and he would be well behind in the scoring .Walcott was cute but 37 ,Tunney was fast afoot and hit hard enough to get your respect,certainly as hard Charles, Marciano would look like a gargoyle whatever the outcome of this matchup.
Yes, certainly better than Tunney.

What good opposition did Dempsey face? He faced Tunney. Why is Tunney good? Well, because he beat Dempsey. Circular logic.

Tunney's record at heavyweight, outside of Dempsey, is zilch. Walcott, Moore and Charles have won more than 10 fights against ranked top10 heavyweights. Even old Louis' record between the Charles loss and the Marciano fight was about as good as Tunney's without Dempsey.

The former mentioned heavyweights all proved their ability, chin and power against young, hard hitting contenders. Tunney never did.

As for this particular matchup, Marciano looked like a gargoyle in every one of his fights. Didn't matter; he never lost. Tunney could dance for 10 rounds against an old Dempsey, but could he do the same for 15 rounds against a much, much better conditioned Marciano whose defence and offense was designed to go into the later rounds and retain effectiveness?

Marciano's was declining since the Charles rematch but he won his other fights anyway. Archie Moore is a more proven heavyweight than Tunney and a dangerous puncher in addition to that. Moore stopped guys that went the distance with Sonny Liston later.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #118
dmt
Hardest hitting hw ever
ESB Senior Member

Tunney would lose to Marciano
dmt is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 AM   #119
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes, certainly better than Tunney.

What good opposition did Dempsey face? He faced Tunney. Why is Tunney good? Well, because he beat Dempsey. Circular logic.

Tunney's record at heavyweight, outside of Dempsey, is zilch. Walcott, Moore and Charles have won more than 10 fights against ranked top10 heavyweights. Even old Louis' record between the Charles loss and the Marciano fight was about as good as Tunney's without Dempsey.

The former mentioned heavyweights all proved their ability, chin and power against young, hard hitting contenders. Tunney never did.

As for this particular matchup, Marciano looked like a gargoyle in every one of his fights. Didn't matter; he never lost. Tunney could dance for 10 rounds against an old Dempsey, but could he do the same for 15 rounds against a much, much better conditioned Marciano whose defence and offense was designed to go into the later rounds and retain effectiveness?

Marciano's was declining since the Charles rematch but he won his other fights anyway. Archie Moore is a more proven heavyweight than Tunney and a dangerous puncher in addition to that. Moore stopped guys that went the distance with Sonny Liston later.
Dempsey beat Gunboat Smith,Fred Fulton ,Bill Brennan,and Billy Miske,thats a pretty good record imo.Tunney stopped three heavyweights who were never stopped Madden,Gibbons,Heeney ,is that zilch? Walcott had around 15 defeats on his record,6 by stoppage Tunney didnt have any.Moore was stopped by LHs,I think Tunney would beat Charles Walcott and Moore.Marciano never lost ,Tunney lost one .You pays your money etc.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-08-2008, 10:14 AM   #120
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa_indian
Marciano was an Overratted Bum, plain and simple

way to give a nice first impression newb
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top