Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #16
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How come we never saw Jack Johnson vs Harry Wills, or George Godfrey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Considering that a half-blind Langford Ko'd a young Godfrey, I think Johnson would have a chance at beating a young / green Godfrey.
He could have done but what would it have meant?

Once Godfrey is on his feet he is too much for old Johnson.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #17
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Default Re: How come we never saw Jack Johnson vs Harry Wills, or George Godfrey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Johnson went after Wills prety much as soon as he got out of prison, and Willard and Dempsey.

After Johnson got out of prison nobody would fight him regardless of their ability.

He was dangerous in the ring and he was bad publicity outside it.
There is a fight report that Johnson and Dempsey fought in Canada, with Dempsey scoring a KO, but I do not believe it. Nat F researched it and could not find another source.

It seems my initial though of Johnson being an untouchable ( like Liston post Ali ) post Willard might have some merit. No one wanted to fight him. This time it was not Johnson avoiding the talent; it was Wills, Dempsey and Godfrey. Ironic.

What about Langford? Sam would fight anyone. Did he seek a match with Johnson post Willard?
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
There is a fight report that Johnson and Dempsey fought in Canada, with Dempsey scoring a KO, but I do not believe it. Nat F researched it and could not find another source.

It seems my initial though of Johnson being an untouchable ( like Liston post Ali ) post Willard might have some merit. No one wanted to fight him. This time it was not Johnson avoiding the talent; it was Wills, Dempsey and Godfrey. Ironic.

What about Langford? Sam would fight anyone. Did he seek a match with Johnson post Willard?
Well Sam and Jack hated each others guts so I cant see Langford doing Jack any favours by welcoming him back to the big time,unless he relished the idea and probability of beating the gold toothed one up. I suppose its as you say a no win situation for a fighter ,if they beat Jack ,well he was an old man ,and if he cons and outsmarts them ,its how could you get beat by that relic?Similar to Liston and guys like Frazier,everything to lose and little to gain.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
What goes around comes around.

Quote:
Both Johnson and Langford would have wanted to avoid that unhappy question.

They would only have been fighting over who lost.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2008, 06:05 PM   #20
OLD FOGEY
Belt holder
ESB Addict

In fairness to Wills, he seems to have been willing to fight Johnson in 1921--why not? It was the state boxing commisssion which banned the fight.

I think those who see Johnson as persona non grata in the twenties are probably correct. Boxing was booming. Probably neither Rickard nor the other boxing bigwigs had any desire to see Johnson back in the mix, even in the probably unlikely event that he actually had enough left to give Wills, Godfrey, or Dempsey a tough fight.
OLD FOGEY is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #21
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey
Haven't you seen "Colonel Tom Thumb Does Dallas?" It was all the rage 80 years ago.
You are well-informed. Suspiciously well.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Tom said he only took his clothes off because the part called for it,and it was only for a "short" time.Good film though ,it got me going!
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 06-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #23
markedwardscott
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Johnson wrote a biography called "Jack Johnson is a Dandy." He was trying to get a fight with Dempsey well into the 20's. As for Wills, Johnson was still in exile after the Willard fight, so maybe that is why they didn't fight before he went to prison. Johnson did pretty well against Willard considering his age, the exile, and the Havana heat.
markedwardscott is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum